NAD T163 v. Rotel RSP-1068 or 1098

rockbobmel

I like the NAD unit, they put alot more into performance than frilly features that you wont use. The dual dedicated subwoofer outputs are awesome. 2-channel sound and operation are also stellar. It has all the latest formats.

I have the RSP-1066 and have been very happy with it. When the 1068 came out I looked to see if upgrading was worth while. I concluded it was not (not that the 1068 was bad at all - I just didn't see that much difference from the 1066). I did find the 1098 to be very, very nice. If that's in your price range, give it serious consideration. If not, the 1068 (and the NAD) are both very good units and I'd say both favor performance over bells and whistles.

----------------

On 7/2/2005 6:38:34 AM Frzninvt wrote:

I like the NAD unit, they put alot more into performance than frilly features that you wont use. The dual dedicated subwoofer outputs are awesome. 2-channel sound and operation are also stellar. It has all the latest formats.

----------------

There is one near by for $1,150. refurbished. I think I may see if I can take it home to try.

----------------

On 7/2/2005 7:45:09 AM Darren wrote:

I have the RSP-1066 and have been very happy with it. When the 1068 came out I looked to see if upgrading was worth while. I concluded it was not (not that the 1068 was bad at all - I just didn't see that much difference from the 1066). I did find the 1098 to be very, very nice. If that's in your price range, give it serious consideration. If not, the 1068 (and the NAD) are both very good units and I'd say both favor performance over bells and whistles.

----------------

I'll second what Darren says. I have the 1066 as well and couldn't be happier. Don't think you could go wrong with either choice though. Good luck!

Oh really, well I don't hear any hiss and I think the speakers I have are really efficient. See below. In fact it is dead quiet even between musical passages when cranked up.

Where did you hear this story or do you actually own one?

If you do it is probably an early production model. They had some trouble with the ribbon cable connectors oxidizing the pins and it was corrected in later production models. If you have an older unit, remove the cable and clean the pins with a pencil eraser and treat with Caig's DeOxit5 and it will correct the noise issue to some extent.

I like NAD as well but switched to Rotel because I was having the same problems Mike was describing. These posts may give you more information, I finally determined that the preamp did contribute a lot to the extra noise I was hearing:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=64089&sessionID={4C01DDF8-CBA8-4F53-9811-A6CCFCCDEB31}

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=63951&sessionID={4C01DDF8-CBA8-4F53-9811-A6CCFCCDEB31}

• 1 month later...

The only thing that is not quite so good on the NAD is the noise of the preamp self. Due the sensitive horns of klipschspeakers you can hear the sis of the preamp realy good.

That suprises me also.[:o] I never had the T163, but I did have the s170i for a short time and it was dead quiet.

I totally agree my T-163 is silent and look at the speakers that I am using! The early ones did have an issue with a certain type of ribbon cable they were using oxidizing on the pin connectors causing them to detiorate and that may have caused the noise. Mine is fabulous! Does everyhing one could ask, excels at two-channel and has two independent subwoofer outputs - yeah baby!