Fantastic 4

Mighty Favog

----------------

On 7/4/2005 11:04:43 PM Tom Blasing wrote:

Now why would they make Jessica Alba the Invisible Woman?! Coming from a red blooded American male who's a graduate Magna Cum Laude of puberty that is.

----------------

Ahh...you probably gave the reason why. 9.gif

----------------

On 7/7/2005 6:15:04 PM nicholtl wrote:

We're all probably gonna watch it, just because it's another superhero summer action blockbuster, but how much do you guys wanna bet it's complete and utter garbage? I got 20 on it.

----------------

I agree on the garbage part (I am getting sick of these super hero movies). I won't be watching it, MAYBE when it hits dvd. Even then it won't be a high priority.

I don't think you can make a bet like that because it's all subjective. If by "garbage" you mean "Not entertaining," I doubt it. If you are going to get all intellectual and pick it apart, yeah, it will probably qualify as garbage.

My biggest problem with comic book movies, being a former collector, is when they don't stay true to the comic book. Unfortunately, I've heard that this one is one of those that strays from the original.8.gif

That being said, I'll be seeing it sometime before the weekend is over.

----------------

On 7/8/2005 9:34:19 PM toddvj wrote:

Is it possible that there can be a Marvel Comics movie worse than Hulk? Or the original Punisher w/Dolph Lundgren? It has to at least be better than the original FF movie.

----------------

Probably! This is somthing that I cribbed from a posting in another forum that I frequent (although I don't post there anymore, due to all the utter and complete bull$#!+ over there)

So, has anybody been able to find a good review of this movie?

Sounds like I'll just wait until it becomes one of the 99-cent DVD rentals.

EDIT! Looks like the picture does not get much rosier over at IMDB either. Ahh well, sounds like I'll be seeing Batman Begins instead for a super-hero flick (or just stick Spiderman 2 in the DVD player)

ReelViews / James Berardinelli

Frustrating because it doesn't seem far removed from a wholly enjoyable motion picture, but the tempo's off, beats are missed, and the production ends up sounding out-of-tune.

Washington Post / Desson Thomson

This "Four" ain't so "Fantastic."

Variety / Joe Leydon

A wildly uneven, sporadically slapdash action-adventure that amuses in fits and starts.

USA Today / Claudia Puig

There's nothing terribly fantastic about this ho-hum futuristic foray.

Entertainment Weekly / Owen Gleiberman

This clumsy, cheesy, chintzy adaptation, with its F/X that look dated the moment you see them, is like something left over from the '60s.

Los Angeles Times / Kevin Crust

Fails to be anything more than a mild summertime diversion. Based on the Marvel comic book, it's a prototypical air conditioner movie.

The Hollywood Reporter / Michael Rechtshaffen

A colossal snore.

The New York Times / A.O. Scott

Compared with the psychological probing and spiritual brooding of "Batman Begins," Fantastic Four is proudly dumb, loud and inconsequential.

Chicago Sun-Times / Roger Ebert

The really good superhero movies, like "Superman," "SpiderMan 2" and "Batman Begins," leave Fantastic Four so far behind that the movie should almost be ashamed to show itself in the same theaters.

Here's the funny thing. These are the blurbs you'll see in the ads for this movie:

A Wholly Enjoyable Motion Picture! -- ReelViews

Fantastic! -- Washington Post

A Wild Action-Adventure! -- Variety

Fantastic! -- USA Today

Colossal! -- The Hollywood Reporter

Psycological and Spiritual! -- The New York Times

A "Really good superhero movie" -- Roger Ebert.

I'm still going to check it out, but I'm not exactly going to rush out to see it. At least my expectations won't be too high.

----------------

On 7/10/2005 3:34:38 PM filmboydoug wrote:

Am wary about this movie. It is getting clobbered in the press, Just getting torched in the reviews. This might be a stretch, but it seems like the films good points are invisible.

sorry.

----------------

I don't listen to critics, they are are about as lame as having your car die in the middle of the road. Fantastic 4 is one of those movies that are mean't to be watched and enjoyed, it's not mean't to be thought after, or picked apart.

In that sense, I enjoyed it..a whole hella lot..and was quite funny in parts.

----------------

On 7/14/2005 4:58:30 PM nicholtl wrote:

My roommate told me to go in without any expectations whatsoever, and you'll be pleasantly entertained. But once you start expecting an ounce of intelligence from this flick, well...you can do the math.

----------------

Nick just wrote the best review of the flick so far. I went with my 14 year old son. It was ok, entertaining but far from truly interesting. The torch was really hunky and the invisible woman was really curvy. The protagonist/antagonist relationships were quickly and predictably established, romantic interests/conflicts went through formulaic developments, and the denouement was a bit ho hum, complete with a set-up for sequels.

Still, it was fun and a rare excuse to overdose on buttered movie theater popcorn for this low-fat guy. 1.gif

Woo

----------------

On 7/14/2005 6:04:56 PM Woodog wrote:

The torch was really hunky and the invisible woman was really curvy. The protagonist/antagonist relationships were quickly and predictably established, romantic interests/conflicts went through formulaic developments, and the denouement was a bit ho hum, complete with a set-up for sequels...

----------------

Are you sure you weren't in my Screenwriting 101 class? You sure know the classical Hollywood structure.

----------------

On 7/14/2005 6:30:33 PM nicholtl wrote:

Are you sure you weren't in my Screenwriting 101 class? You sure know the classical Hollywood structure.

----------------

nah, just old. 2.gif

I'm interested in structure, whether it be music, film, architecture, literature. You know, the *THING* that holds a creation together and provides interest, makes it work. Those elements have always intrigued me.

Then, with much more clever films (unlike Fantastic 4) the use of cinematic quotes and symbols, lighting, music, camera angles and movement to provide a sophisticated draw into the world they are trying to create.

My son and I like to play a game while watching commercials on TV. What are they selling, how are they selling it, and to whom is the commercial directed? Is it an SUV they are selling? Or is it really escape from the life you have erected about you? etc.

but, mostly, I'm just old. I've seen most of it again and again and again and again and again.

Woo

----------------

On 7/10/2005 2:09:00 PM toddvj wrote:

Here's the funny thing. These are the blurbs you'll see in the ads for this movie:

A "Really good superhero movie" -- Roger Ebert.

I'm still going to check it out, but I'm not exactly going to rush out to see it. At least my expectations won't be too high.

----------------

From what Skonopa posted, it seems Ebert's quote was taken out of context. FF is supposed to be ashamed to be playing in the same theatres as Superman, Spiderman, etc. I think I would be mad if I were Ebert...

D