OT:a little fun with my grocery getter

BobbyT

For all of you car lovers out there. Over the weekend a friend and I pulled the suspension out of my Toyota Matrix wagon and replaced it with a Tein coilover suspension. Already changed the sway bar previously. I figure there's no reason why I can't have a cool family car.

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

Now all you need to do is slap some really cool stickers on the back window and install the ubiquitous 5" exhaust tip and you're all set. Oh...and maybe when you save up enough money you could stick one of those shopping-cart-handle spoilers on the back. And don't forget the racing fins for your windshield wipers. KOOOL.6.gif

----------------

On 7/5/2005 6:14:52 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

Looks like that would fit neatly in the back of BEC's Duramax diesel...

when he gets it back from the dealer, that is ...

----------------

And carrying a spare is beginning to sound real good to me.

Bob

Here is a picture of my 4-door grocery getter.1.gif 3.8L buick with enough torque to embarass most would be racers from stoplight to stoplight. Don't forget the moose lamps in the modified grille opening, they light up the night like it were daylight. Added another relay to drive the low-beam bulb when the high-beam is turned on. 100 watt Heliolite "off-road" bulbs take the place of the stockers in both high and low-beam positions.

Adding up the wattage of the headlamps (4x100) watt, and driving lamps 100w each (50x2) x2 lights, I require on the order of 41.5 amps of current to run the forward illumination devices, with everything on.

Sandblasted and painted Buick 15" wheels give a nice ride and better handling than the stock 14", cost: free. Michelin X M+S Alpin with high silica tread supply adequate grip in the corners, especially when inflated to 10lbs over the recommended pressure.

I still have to address the body roll issue and possibly add the front strut tower brace from the "donor" car. I'll have to take a look at the spring rates and coil sizes from comparable cars in the TRW book. If I want better acceleration, I'll look at the scrapyard for a transmission out of a Pontiac Transport, that has a 3.42 final instead of the lame-o 2.67 in mine.

But it is still a vehicle with a purpose, to serve as a daily driver, yet comfortable enough for long trips, fits the g/f and dog quite nicely.3.gif

91 olds 88.jpg

post-9504-13819267127286_thumb.jpg

From my all time favorite eBay auction...

This auction is for a "highly" modified 1987 Honda Civic LX Sedan Type-R. This vehicle is equipped with 1.5 Liters of 12 valve carbureted fury. I am sure that it puts down at least "60" Wheel horsepower, if not "62". The power is transferred to the pavement through a slick shifting 5-Speed manual, equipped with an open diff. The interior is ergonomically designed for rapid driving, with a "Timex" Monster Tach to help keep the revs up when shifting, and a detachable face Kenwood stereo to keep the driver occupied when he is not racing other high-powered imports. The car even comes with tweeters dangling from the front doors!

The Mods to the exterior of this car are truly awesome and extensive. The car is equipped with a stylish body kit by "suncast" (makers of fine gardening products and decorative edging) This 5inch garden trim accentuates the curves of the car and gives it a lowered menacing stance. The trim is mounted/stapled in such a way that it highlights the 9 Inch chrome trashcan that now functions as an exhaust. At the front of the car you will notice the large intercooler and the fog-lights to light up the boulevard so you can cruise for the ladies. The car even comes with California plates because everyone knows that is where all the hot imports are from! On the hood a large aluminum scoop feeds air into the engine. I am not sure where it came from but it would be equally at home on the supercharger of a top fuel dragster. I also equipped the civic with a non-functional "roof scoop", like the Mclaren F1 and the Saleen S7. It has to add at least 5hp.

In the summer the doors can be removed in the back instantly transforming this car into a civic with no rear doors. (Check with your local police ordinances before attempting this mod) In addition to the increased airflow, and weight reduction for street racing it allows for quick access when fly honeys want to cruise.

The highlight of the body modifications to this car has to be the "Biplane-Kamikaze-Combat-Strafe-Attack Spoiler" It is made of wood for light weight and is mounted on 24 Inch Alloy Support Tubes (Pipe Conduit). The down force it provides helps keep the rear wheels in full contact with the road at all times. This down force works with the wide tri-star wheels to enable this car to corner like a Ferrari.

Now don't think that this car is all show and no go. It was build from day one to be a serious street racer. In fact it blew through the quarter mile in only 20.11 Seconds at 66.8 MPH! It eats Mustangs and Camaros for breakfast.

post-15785-13819267128416_thumb.jpg

lol is that part of a pallet? kamakaze, it would be cool to fill that thing with explosives and drive it into a destroyer.

on the other hand that 3.8l is an awesome engine, they made a supercharged model of that engine. Favorite in stock car racing.

----------------

On 7/5/2005 10:29:18 PM Tom Blasing wrote:

Where was that pic I saw months ago of an exhaust tip the diameter of a garbage can lid??

----------------

We call those annoying-sounding mufflers "Fart Cans". 9.gif

But, nice-looking ride BobbyT! 2.gif

Thanks for all of the compliments.

Yeah I'm not into the batman wings, stickers, and loud fartcan exhausts. Not real big on the fast ond furious cars or street racing either. Just wanted to make it look nice and be fun to drive. And I like nice cars. Be it my wagon, a carrera gt, a chevelle, a 65 caddy convertible, or a nice lifted 4x4. That's why I did it, and I'm still a kid at heart. Plus the wife said I could have some fun with it since I gave up the 4runner and jet skis for family life.

You should see the looks I get from the kids who pull up revving thier engines looking to race. They get beside me and realize it's a 35 year old with his wife and kid on thier way to get ice cream lol.

And yes with the seats folded down there is room for heresy speakers.

The ground kit is factory Toyota.

Nic, nice ride.

I really didn't expect this many replies good or bad, WOW. Maybe just a couple of guys that are into cars.

Nice car. The Matrix has grown on me over the last few years. Good kill on the Tein Coilovers also. Tires, alignment, sway bars and struts make a huge improvement in handling - at least most of the time!

Now go find a place to autocross it!

9.gif