Fisher X-100

richieb

I have done a search and found many favorable reviews on the Fisher X-100 integrated tube amp. If some of the experts amoung you have time, have a look at the one on AGon for $475. That seems to be a fair price from what I gather. Opinions on price and what has been done on the restore are appreciated. How will this unit compare to a Scott 229C or D, one of which also availabe for $300 but has not been restored. Thanks

----------------

On 7/7/2005 10:07:10 PM garymd wrote:

It's a hearty 12 wpc though! Made my khorns sing (loudly!). Nice amp. If it doesn't sound great, you'll need Craig to refresh it. He did an excellent job on mine (now owned by another forum member).

----------------

It does!! I harvested it from a to be demolished house. Had my tech go through it. He replaced one big cap. That's it. Everything else is original, including the imported tubes. Bugles, Teles, Mullard. Amperex.

This is a X-100C which uses 7868 output tubes for most likely 25 WPC very different then the X-100. One thing to weigh into your decision is the output tubes are very expensive and hard to source in NOS types in good condition. Currently EH makes a 7868 and they go for $90 for a quad these work very well with the only drawback being the pin size is larger so once there plugged into amp there is no easy way to go back to NOS types. I personally prefer the Scott 299 series but not by a huge margin.

As far as whether it needs more attention I'd have to see the picture of the under chassis to determine what all has been done. I bet its in pretty good working order since the filter cans were even replaced which on these units rarely need replacing.

Craig

----------------

On 7/8/2005 11:05:50 AM garymd wrote:

Craig is right (of coarse
2.gif
). The X-100-C is tube recitfied. Not sure about the X-100. I've heard it makes a difference.

I also am pretty sure the X-100-C is a 25 watt amp (about 12wpc).
----------------

Gary,

I think your confused (of course 2.gif) read your post you have it all backwords and you can't spell LMAO !!!!!!

Richie,

If you decide to go with a power amp instead of an integrated amp. A good friend of mine wishes to sell this fully rebuilt Dynaco ST-70 for $425 + shipping.

PM/email me in case you're interested and I'll forward you his contact info.

Thanks,

Guy

post-5419-13819267156906_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of a fisher x-100. Sorry its not a beauty I really bought it only so I can make a cabinet for the fisher model tube amps. I am looking for a good looking faceplate for this amp and a factory bottom cover,does anybody have any of these pieces for sale?

As for as the fisher vs the scott I prefer the Scott it seems more well built all the controlls work smoother and just seems like a better built tube amp. AS for sound between the two I have no idea, this fisher needs a total rebuid it hums out of both channels real bad. I will post some pictures of my cabinet for the fisher X100 if I can figure out how too post pictures its been a while.

post-8918-13819267161986_thumb.jpg