Best set of Klispch for $2,000-$2,200

scottn

Hi..new to forum. As a life long Klipsch owner, I'm making the plunge to a dedicated home theatre. Honestly, after the reading the board, I'm having a tough time deciding on what I should purchase from a home theatre speaker standpoint. If you had $2,200 max to spend, what would you choose for speakers. I'm hoping to get floorstandings, center, sub and surrounds for this amount. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Scott, welcome to the forum! The first post is always special :)

For your budget, you're obviously going for the pre-owned market. I'm a Heritage fan (K'horn, Belle, Cornwall, LaScala, Heresy) but the Reference series is also great.

You could do Heresies all around and pick up a sub for that budget without too much sweat if you're patient. Or, you could grab three LaScala's and a pair of Heresies for rears. You might push the budget but if you're sharp, you can do it.

A Reference setup is possible but I'll defer to others since I have no first-hand experience with them.

Heritage, IMHO, makes for great HT. Another way to do it is to buy three Cornwalls (buy four and sell one as a center), then you have three across the front. With what's leftover, buy a pair of Heresies and then save up for a good sub. Cornwalls are KILLER HT speakers.

Of course, your results may vary :)

Again, welcome to the Asylum :)

Fronts: 2x RF-35 - MSRP = $1000

Center: 1x RC-35 - MSRP = $400

Surround: 2x RB-35 - MSRP = $600

or 2x RS-35 - same price, but they are dipoles

Sub-total: $2000

- 20% dealer discount, Total = $1600

Plus,

Subwoofer: Partsexpress Titanic III 15" - $650

Total: $2250

This home theater setup will blow you away. I promise. But you're going to need some horsepower to drive it. How much can you invest in electronics?

----------------

On 7/9/2005 4:47:39 PM meuge wrote:

Fronts: 2x RF-35 - MSRP = $1000

Center: 1x RC-35 - MSRP = $400

Surround: 2x RB-35 - MSRP = $600

or 2x RS-35 - same price, but they are dipoles

Sub-total: $2000

- 20% dealer discount, Total = $1600

Plus,

Subwoofer: Partsexpress Titanic III 15" - $650

Total: $2250

This home theater setup will blow you away. I promise. But you're going to need some horsepower to drive it. How much can you invest in electronics?

----------------

I'll second this.

I would consider 6 Heresys (can be done in very good condition for $1500 used) and a good used sub (like a high quality used Velodyne, Klipsch, or SVS, maybe a DIY kit).

I did 6 Cornwalls plus 2 JBL pro woofer cabinets (each with 2 15" woofers) for under 3K. It SHREDS.

But before we get into any detailed recommendations, it would be helpful to know more about room dimensions.....I usually recommend going as "big" as the room and budget will allow. With used Heritage, the theater of your dreams is possible on a budget, and the whoop *** comes at no additional charge9.gif

meuge's setup looks great except spend the extra couple hundred bucks and make it the RC-7 over the RC-35. It is so much more worth it. And yes, $500 should be just fine for a receiver to run them. I'm using an HK AVR 430 which is about $400 refurbished on ebay directly from HK (with the same warranty as buying one retail). It powers my RF-35's, RC-7, and RB-25's just great. I've owned both the RC-25 and RC-35 and honestly they are just crap compared to the RC-7. Night and day difference, and RC-7 blends in just fine with the RF-35's, even better than the lower end centers.

On that sub, I have owned the Velodyne CHT15 and can assure you a smile on your face with it. It could sound a whole lot cleaner, but you would be suprised by the performance for the dollar. Plays very loud and does VERY good for HT for the money. Anything smaller just sounds fake IMO. I have used other elite 12" subs and found the db area lacking. Can find them used all day for 3-5 bills on ebay and audiogon.

Brandon

Forte IIs plus the elusive academy, heresies/quartets for surrounds, and still have money left over for a sub, or use the excess for better electronics and wait for a sub, the forte's go nice and low to begin with. You have a lot of choices which would fit your room, try to audition as many different models and set-ups as you can, oh what fun!

----------------

On 7/11/2005 9:38:55 AM shane_0_mac wrote:

I agree with muege, except I would go with the RW-12. The RW-12 matches well with the 35 series.

I am also not much of DIY guy. If you are a DIY guy you could not go wrong with sub muege suggested.

You will be golden whichever way you go.

----------------

The Titanic kit isn't really DIY... it's as much DIY as putting together a cabinet you got at Home Depot.

I would also recommend the SVS PB10 ISD in the $450 range, HSU Research STF 2 for about the same price, or SVS PB 12 ISD for $600 plus shipping. These are good alternatives to Klipsch subs, but not necessarily better. I have extensive personal experience with my SW 12, a KSW 12, Sub12, and SVS PB10. The PB 10 has the best low end, the SW 12 is the most musical and smoothest sub, and the Sub 12 appears to have the most output for movies of the bunch. THe KSW 12 is lacking compared to the rest. The Sub 12 is a big leap forward in my opinion.

You should also consider bookshelf speakers. The RB 35's I believe have a better overall sound than the RF 35's. Give them both a good listen before you decide.