Need everyone's .02 worth on Amplifiers and Pre's?

BS Button

Don't bother with a receiver. Get a used Aragon preamp (18k or 28k). As far as amps are concerned, you can either go with Aragon or B&K. Aragon 4004 is the budget option, B&K Reference is the middle option, and Aragon 8008 or B&K 200.2 are the more expensive options.

I agree with Eugene, go the separates route.

I'm running a pair of LaScalas, a pair of Cornwalls, a pair of Heresys and a RC-7 off of four B&K amps - so I guess you could say that I like them.

They're dead quiet and many reviewers say they have a "tubelike sound." They also are pretty bullet proof and seem to last forever. Depending upon age and model, you can find 105 to 140 watt amps on ebay or audiogon in the $200 - 350 range.

James

Jheis how do you like your b&k st-140? I owned one and personally like my nad av receiver better for music. It's very tube like also but has more acurate bass.( who am I kidding nothing like the real thing ) I still really liked that b&k st-140 and there are some phenominal deals on them. A bit soft on the bottom end. Miss the presence it had though really opened up the horns. Those babys are a bit tricky to place if have a rack with doors. It should be a must to measure any gear you get. I had trouble with the handles sticking out. The more I think of the sound I got from it the more I miss it especially voice on Fm stations, piano, classical music, but the Nad sounds better for rock. Nad is making a great product with their new stuff.

----------------

On 7/11/2005 9:41:52 PM meuge wrote:

Don't bother with a receiver. Get a used Aragon preamp (18k or 28k). As far as amps are concerned, you can either go with Aragon or B&K. Aragon 4004 is the budget option, B&K Reference is the middle option, and Aragon 8008 or B&K 200.2 are the more expensive options.

----------------

I use to be in the same camp. Then i received a mint condition marantz 2325 with wood case. I sent it off to bring it back to its former factory specs. IMHO it just spanked the aragon 4004mkII and audible illusions L1 pre set up i have. Much fuller in the mids without the brittle highs.

Now recently i have acquired a mint condition HK 930 with wood case. The marantz is better at lower levels but as the volume is raised the 930 just becomes sweeter and sweeter to my ears. Not to be taking away from the marantz at all but the folks are giving some good advise around here about these old twin powered HK's

I wouldnt just dismiss a receiver because they obviously arent all created equal and for the prices these things are going for its almost insane not to at least give them a listen.

Good luck in your search.

One other note. There are alot of things that change over 30-35 years with these old receivers. Pots become dirty,bias drifts,dc offset goes out of whack not to mention leaky caps. These things really need to be gone over and brought back to factory specs if you want to truly give an honest and fair opinion of these classics.

And by the way. Both of these old classics have tuners that are just amazing.

Just my 2 cents.

Well I would say that for vintage the 730 would be great.as far as the prima luna,seems like the price just keeps going up on this chinese amp,there are several companies all selling the same amp under different names,they were a bargain when they sold in the 4-500 range,no one has mentioned creek as a possibility,maybe a 5350se would be a nice combo.

Forum is moving to slow here so I am buging out for the night. Wife callling. I will check in tomorrow. I just won a HK730 and I have an B&K ST202. I do not need either one so I could help out if interested. Other wise I continue to buy and store...What a great hobbie.

By the way, I already have an HK330 and HK630 if that tells you about their potential.

well on the corns the scott did very very well but for rock the hk just has more guts and it seems to have a decent phono section as well,had over 900.00 into the scott and for 100.00 the hk just seems to make sense for me at this time,but wait a few months and I will prolly be rolling somethin else in.3.gif

Wheelman:

The ST-140 was my introduction to B&K equipment. Mine is the 105wpc version which I bought used for $150 about six or seven years ago. I wasn't looking for an amp, but when I answered an ad for a pair of KG2's, the guy brought along the ST-140 so, of course, I had to buy it. It was stereo gear, it was cheap, AND it was in my house! What else could I do?

I was originally using it to drive the KG2's in one zone of a two zone system using a Carver CT-17 pre amp. The other zone was a pair of Cornwalls driven by a Carver TFM-45 monster (380wpc). Over time, I really grew to appreciate the simple elegance of the ST-140 and found that I was listening to it more often than the Carver.

I liked the ST-140 enough that when I moved and got the upgrade bug I bought a B&K Ref 50 pre/pro and a pair of ST-125.2 amps. Since then I've added a ST-1400II amp and I'm picking up a ST-2140 tomorrow to round out my main listening system.

So, my original ST-140 is being bumped from center channel duty to my home office system where it will displace the Carver TFM-45 driving a pair of Heresys. The Carver is probably going to end up on ebay (along with a Hafler DH200 and the KG2's if anyone is interested).

I haven't spent a lot of time comparing the ST-140 to different amps, but it sounds good to me and that's what counts.

James

Jheis that is really all that matters. I loved that amp actually myself. Especially vocals were almost unreal in a good way. Alot for me was placement with it. But the Nad worked out great for me. In no way am I saying the Nad is better than the b&k it just seems somewhat better for rock at the moment which is my main preference. Alot had to do with a poor source player I had at the time of owning the b&k. Them b&k' st-140's throw a soundstage like crazy! That st-140 is a bargain for anyone on a budget. Highly recomend that amp on a budget as long as your not super bass hungry. Now that amp gets touted bigtime for sounding like a tube amp. It's actually the 70 watt version from the mid eighties. Incase people are looking for the exact one in "the" review. I don't think anyone who buys one will regret it if the price is right. Just my two pennies.