Yamaha's

vandec54

I would like to talk about echo. I realize there is meant to be an echo in different sound formats such as the "Hall" format. I, however, receive a loud and I think distracting echo when watching movies using my DTS and digital 5.1 General setting. This echo comes from effects that go through my rear channels. All of the "intense" effects through my rear channels sound great. The subtle effects such as background noise or talking in a movie come out of my rear speakers with an echo. I don't think the movie people intended it to echo this much.

In my opinion the General setting shouldn't have this.

1. Is this the way yamaha's sound?

or

2. Can I fix this someway in my settings? (I have tried playing with the delay with no results.

Thanks, I hope this is clear enough

does that model have a straight decode button? another thing you could look at would to be whether your measuring in feet or meters, distance for 7' would be like 21' in meters. My model does not have a general setting except in the movie dsp for movie theatre general. But it does not have a distorted echo effect.

you may have a problem with the unit. If that is the case can you exchange it?

Also my model does not call it delay in the menu rather distance. Delay is a setting within a dsp when that dsp is active. does it echo with surround sound standard displayed?

hope this helps

Wayne

I hate to say it, but I think more than likely it's your Yammi. Yamaha makes good products, but with your RS-3's having 2 horns, it may be spraying the higher frequencies and making it sound more "bright" than to your liking.

I switched out an older model of Yamaha (RXV-800) to a Denon 3805 (I tried to find another 3803, none to be found) and my RS-3's liked that VERY much. This is just my opinion and of course YMMV.

For your reciever, Yamaha recomends a 5 ms delay for Dolby digital and DTS in both normal and enhanced modes.

The larger the number of ms delay, the more pronounced the delay will become. Start with their numbers and move up or down from there.

Your reciever is an older unit and as such is more difficult to adjust properly. In modern units, they have integrated YAPO which measures the distance, volume, size of each speaker and sets them for the best effect. You might want to concider a newer reciever.

I have a RX-V 750 and have no complaints with it at all. Yamaha makes good recievers regardless of those who push Denon on this board. You can still get good sound with your unit but you will need to work at it harder.

If you have lost the manual for your reciever you can download a PDF of it at:

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gAVR00010RX-V520

BTW, please ignore the comments of Yamahas being "bright" I have owned Yamaha equipment since 1978 the "hayday" of "bright" Yamaha equipment and I have never had a reason to complain about the sound. It seems that some "audio GURU" long ago said that they were bright and we (Yamaha owners) have been stuck defending them since.

----------------

On 7/15/2005 11:43:15 AM Cal Blacksmith wrote:

...I have a RX-V 750 and have no complaints with it at all. Yamaha makes good recievers regardless of those who push Denton on this board. You can still get good sound with your unit but you will need to work at it harder...

----------------

I agree Yamaha makes good products and said so in my post 2.gif. Insofar as my Denon(s) are concerned I prefer them over the older yamaha's because of MY experience. YMMV. If I didn't think so I would not have upgraded 3 receivers and have 2 Yammi's sitting in my garage. {edit: I hope your suggestions helps this forum member}1.gif

I was not referring only to your post, there is a culture on this board that Yamaha is ok for the peasants but if you want to start getting better sound, you need a Denon or separates.

This simply is not true, Yamaha builds some very good equipment and some not so good equipment like every manufacturer of audio equipment. I did not intend to insult you, rather I was referring to the general culture of the board.