Kimber Kable

wheelman

I swapped out my Kimber Kable speaker wire and figured I would hook up my bros' low level line of audioquest wires. Whooooaaaaaaa!! What a difference. I know ALOT of you guys don't hear any thing which boggles me, and that's fine. But the difference is bigger than expected. The sound is smoother than with the more expensive Kimber Kable. I hope I havent' lost any detail but it just seems more lush now and still detailed. If it's from lack of detail or for whatevever reason I will take it, because it makes my Klipsch sound a little more enjoyable.

Ok i've been listening to them all day long. I got to say the audioquest which is the bulk wire ( cheaper stuff )I do believe by them. Just seems better near field listening, not so forward. Ok now the longer I listen I realized something from my computer room, and other rooms in the house. Is that the Kimber Kable kills the audioquest when your listening from a distance, or through walls. I mean it's just more detailed with that inner depth to instruments, but if your like 6 feet from a set of heresy's blaring the audioquest seems better to me (depending on source)plus they seem to throw a slightly wider soundstage, but not as clearly focused as the Kimber. If I were to have them further away I like my Kimber better. Also I need to check out dvd concerts. I am sure it will go to Kimber for that with hi res sound. If anyone cares that's how that went down. Seeing how I am on this computer so often I think I will stick with my Kimbers. So much for being whooooooooaaaad.

----------------

On 7/16/2005 7:35:30 PM tofu wrote:

uh, so your cables only work when im standing far away from the speakers?

----------------

Pretty much. No just kidding they just keep their detail better at further listening distances. Is tofu any good?

Wassup Wheelman! What kinda Kimbers were you running before? 4TC? 8TC? Monofocal? Bifocal?

While I am a little surprised Audioquest's bulk cable seems to sound better (I'm not much of an AQ fan, speaker cable or interconnects), I can say that I always preferred Kimber's interconnects over their speaker cables. But I'm still surprised you initially felt the AQ beat them (albeit some variations on your perceptions depending on distance, walls, etc.)

Since you say the sound became "smoother...more lush," I'm wondering if perhaps:

1) the sound was simply "different," which may at the time have been interpreted as smoother and more lush?

2) the Kimber's connections had loosened slightly over time, and thus was not fully transmitting the maximum signal?

PS - cold, firm, organic tofu can be quite good. I sometimes eat an entire box right from the package for protein.

Nick not much happening here gettin ready for some outdoor oxygen, As for the Kimbers I think they are the lower level Kimbers Brown/black 4tc. You have an excellent point on the connections on the kimbers they do seem a little to easy to push in the binding posts. Still seems like they would have a descent enough connection, but I shoud check and make sure. Thanks for pointing that out. My first impressions were smoother, and wider soundstage. It sort of reminded me more of the sound I got from my older harman receiver which through a soundstage like know ones business with a warmth to match. Anyways I still like the Kimbers detail better which if you listen very carefull you can hear better background layers. I slapped in a dvd late last night not a perfect recording. It was Stevie Ray Vaughan Live at the El Mocambo. The AQ's sounded great I just watched this the previous night More awake with the Kimbers. Now this is really hard to explain. The AQ's sounded really good with a wide airy sound with a touch more warmth. Now remembering the Kimbers they seemed more spot on. I mean more accurate like that's how it would sound if Stevie was in this exact room I am now sitting in. But the AQ's sort of gave it more of a middle row sound tending to lean towards the ever so slightly muddier side of the spectrum. So for accuracy defintely the Kimbers are the way to go. If you wanted slightly more width, and warmth with slightly less detail then the AQ's would work well. Both these cables are not what you call "real" expensive. Bargains if you ask me compared to monster type cord. Especially if you only need 20 or so feet. At about a buck a foot tops that's not a bad price performance to ratio. I personally like Tara Labs Klara the best for the money. They throw a wicked soundstage even watching regular tv. Nick as for the AQ's I am still hearing the lusher sound. Although I will admit it's not drastically lusher, but still it's there so that's got to count for something. It sort of bugs me, because I am actually torn between the decision. Which pair to keep hooked up? In a week or so I will probally switch back to see what happens.

PS: I don't know if I have cajones to eat tofu. If I see it I will buy a chunk or brick of it. However it comes.

hmm... and which kind of audioquest cable would this be? is there a model number of some sort? i need longer cables, and if the audioquest stuff is only a dollar a foot, i may as well buy $20 worth for my 11x11 room. it sure can't hurt.

edit: i hope it looks prettier than radioshack wire!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 7/18/2005 1:12:26 PM dragonfyr wrote:

And just when one thought the cable debate couldn't become more absurd...

Even I can't think of a smart @#$% comment that would do justice to this thread...

----------------

Dragon:

No way, I don't believe you! Obviously you are on an off day; as we all are entitled to have once in a while.

LOL

I don't think it's good for any AC wiring to pass through, or sit in a wall -- which is why I pulled all of mine out. The hardest part was balancing everything on top of those little cable holder thingies. I ran a few short, so I just have the kids hold it off the carpet while I'm listening.16.gif

----------------

On 7/18/2005 1:26:28 PM DeanG wrote:

...so I just have the kids hold it off the carpet while I'm listening.
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/16.gif">

----------------

I hope they don't jump rope with it while you're not looking!

PS - tofu with some dried seaweed, seasame seeds, and a dab of soysauce is delicious.

----------------

On 7/18/2005 12:15:45 AM tofu wrote:

hmm... and which kind of audioquest cable would this be? is there a model number of some sort? i need longer cables, and if the audioquest stuff is only a dollar a foot, i may as well buy $20 worth for my 11x11 room. it sure can't hurt.

edit: i hope it looks prettier than radioshack wire!

----------------

These were kind of hard to find. I bought these used so I wasn't exactly sure where to buy them. The good news is their only .40 cents a foot. Mine are flx 16/2 banana plug terminated.

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_27549.htm#PG_A

ohh, they're "in wall" speaker wire. i suppose that doesnt make a difference, but i was hoping they'd look somewhat expensive to impress the neighbors when they come over to hear what's been rattling their walls.

thank you for taking the time out to find them for me. i apreciate it :)