vertical horn Cornwalls

zaven

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the art department was ahead of production - or they had some partially completed cabinets to sell off.

If it's any consolation, a single page "flyer" from about 1974 says "Cornwall" at the top and, at the end of the "architects' specifications" says "The loudspeaker shall be KLIPSCH CORNWALL II." (caps theirs)

ARRGH! (caps mine)

----------------

On 7/20/2005 2:15:16 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Just so you know, my '64 Cornwalls do not have the rubber-stamped "II" on them.

----------------

Allen,

Then is it correct to say that you then have the Labels with the "II" printed in black?

What are the serial numbers, because serial number 6C03 has the red rubber stamp "II" on it. A picture(s) would be nice.2.gif

Frzninvt,

The only "Chris Robinson" I have is of 1968 CWO's that he sold (I think) earlier this year to "Painful Reality". (I do try to keep up)

If you still have / can find the pictures post'em

I.B.

"This is just nuts. My '73 verts "cornwall" had catalogs on the backs. They show horz!"

I feel your pain, but I'am not sure I understand it.

If the pain is caused because you have 1973 "Verticals" and they just don't have the "II" designation on them, then you have LOTS of company (i.e. all owners after the change in 1972 up to late 1974 to early 1975) because as I said earlier, sometime in 1972 Klipsch changed the label and dropped the "II" designation. They didn't change the speaker just the label.

The 1974 Vertical pair I bought from a "knowledgeable collector" told me, to my face, he wished they were "Cornwalls IIs" because he would be asking alot more for them.

Who was I to blow against the wind and inform him they were the same damn speakers as any Vertical with a "B" crossover in it.... and I.B. yours are no different!!

If I still don't understand your pain, post a picture. The reference to "catalogs" is confusing.

And lastly. CaptnBob's concise description is my understanding and it fits with all the evidence I have collected. The only thing I would add is the original Cornwal was a desendent of Rebel V.

This post is one of the reasons I don't post much. It's hard work.

----------------

On 7/20/2005 4:02:31 PM Good2BHome wrote:

----------------

On 7/20/2005 2:15:16 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Just so you know, my '64 Cornwalls do not have the rubber-stamped "II" on them.

----------------

Allen,

Then is it correct to say that you then have the Labels with the "II" printed in black?

What are the serial numbers, because serial number 6C03 has the red rubber stamp "II" on it. A picture(s) would be nice.
2.gif

NOPE!

Just plain old "Cornwall"

I'll try to take a pic some time soon and post it here

----------------

On 7/18/2005 4:04:10 PM zaven wrote:

I am trying to acquire very vintage vertical horn Cornwalls. Could someone give me the manufacturing history of these? Are the drivers different from the horizontally mounted Cornwall I models or just their orientation?

----------------

I don't see were we really answered zaven's original question.

This is not a complete answer, but unless you are talking about buying pre 1966 verticals, the drivers are essentially the same (only the manufacturer of a driver might be different) from 1966 to 1979 for both verticals and horizontals. The crossover during this same period was the "B", but it was built 3 different ways. All electrically the same just different sets of components.

----------------

On 7/20/2005 4:02:31 PM Good2BHome wrote:

Frzninvt,

The only "Chris Robinson" I have is of 1968 CWO's that he sold (I think) earlier this year to "Painful Reality". (I do try to keep up)

If you still have / can find the pictures post'em

----------------

Here it is.

It won't clear or thicken the fog but what the hell...

Photo%201011_360x480.jpg

Notice, as a grossly general rule, how the red "II" tends to fade away compare to the black "II" printing. Maybe that is what could explain why A. Songer have some "Cornwall".

Who knows...

post-11019-1381926854737_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 7/20/2005 10:54:52 PM Good2BHome wrote:

Painful,

Thanks for the picture. It is better that the one I had.

Hopefully Allen Songer will come up with his soon. It intrigues me.

----------------

Let me know if you want a higher resolution picture. I can email it to you if you wish.

----------------

On 7/20/2005 11:05:14 PM pauln wrote:

I still don't get it - are the old Cornwall elevens the best?
----------------

Yes. The big Jensen alnico woofer and the chrome alnico T-35 have a lot to do with it I think. I know that after hearing my Cornwalls for years my pal Joel got himself a pair of early 1980's Cornwalls and we had them in my room for a couple of days playing with them and the '64s sounded better to both of us. This was about 6-7 years ago and I can't really tell you why at this point.

Plus, the vertical models image better if you're into stereo.