RC-7 would you bite on this deal?

RayoVac

Howdy,

I have a minor dilemma. I have a Ref 35 system right now. RC-35, RF-35s and RB-35s in the back, SVS 20-39 PC+ running the bass. I am not very happy with the RC-35, like others have complained... a bit muddy in the mids especially male vocals. I have a local Klipsch dealer closing his store and he has one RC-7 in cherry on the floor. My stuff is black.. but you really can't even see my center as it is on a shelf with stuff surrounding it.

My question... should I buy it? He is asking $475 for the floor model that has been sitting there for who knows how long. It sounds GREAT and appears to be spotless!!! I see black ones on e-bay for the $539-$600+ but of course you have close to $50 in shipping typically. Not to mention I am not sure these on e-bay are "Authorized Dealers".

Do you guys thing I should just do it? Or for that money would I find a decent used one in black somewhere (e-bay etc.).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ps. He also has two sets of RS-3s... I can have them for $275 a pair. Not sure I want them but if this is truly a deal... I might get a set to replace my RB-35s. But again... I am thinking I would like to hold out for some RS-7s instead.

Raymond

I would go for it. Having had both RC-35 and now a Dean-modded RC-7 for my main movie system, I can tell you that the difference is worlds apart. As for the color difference - you know sometimes life is just not perfect. But close enough often counts. In my main music system, I had a pair of walnut Belles and was going to hold out and hold out until I found the perfect walnut Center Belle to match. But then, I found an incredible single Black Belle locally and went for it. As it turns out, aethestically the Black Belle actually matches the TV on top of it and the adjoining racks (silver/black) better than if it was a Walnut Belle. So, sometimes not "perfect" works out ok.

I think you should do it - but the bottom line is if it would bother you knowing it isn't "perfect" - then you might want to wait. But, given that the view of it is partially blocked - I say go for it.

As for the RS3s, I would wait. I think direct radiators make for better surrounds anyway (as opposed to the sprayers). I personally would wait until you could pick up a pair of RB75s as your surrounds - instead of RS7s. However, if you really want WDSTs in the rear - I would opt to wait for the RS7s. Big difference between RS7s and RS3s (sound quality and power handling, etc.) At one point in my audio journey, I fried a pair of woofers in RS35s driving aggressively with multi-channel music. Won't ever use them again - at least for music. That's why subsequent surrounds in my music system have been RB75s and now Altec Valencias. However, if you only use them for movies, RS7s are a great bet. Not too shabby for music either, but again - depends on your preference.

Carl.

cjgeraci,

Thanks for the great response and depth of information. I totally agree on the RC-7 in regards to color... the cherry does not bother me. More importantly I guess I wonder if $475 seems like a good deal for what would ultimately be a compromise in color.

Also good to hear the opinion on the RS-3. My system is mainly for HT and having the RB-35s now in the back... annndd spending some time with some WDSTs I feel I would like to switch to such. And at this point... probably would not do it unless I find some RS-7s.

Again thanks for the info.

Anyone else feel that $475 is a good deal... or should I pass and keep looking?

I will venture and say that your dealer has a little bit of wiggle room at that price. If you like the WDST speakers, then my all means get them. You might even relegate the book shelves to another room, like a bedroom.

I run mismatched rear WDST speakers, and as long as the levels are set correctly, I feel nothing is comprimised for movie playback. For multi-channel music, they might not be the best choice, however I don't utlize mine for that. Again, unless you try it, you can only speculate.

I will just say that do what makes you happy! 1.gif

I bought a Cherry RC-7 with the rest of my speakers being black just because the price was right. It just so happens that the RC-7 just barely fits into my entertainment center so all you can really see in the front black spacing anyway. but, I also figure if/when I upgrade to RF-7s I will be wanting the Cherry so I am just one step ahead of where I want to be.

As far as the price goes, if you think you can live without it then ask them to knock another 10% off, it being a floor demo and all. If they don't then be prepared to simply walk away and tell them you will wait for the next generation of Klipsch coming out next year. Whether that is true or not who cares, at least make them work for your business. Then, if you later decide to bite at their price, go back and buy it later.

Good luck,

D

I'll be the odd man out...If your not happy with or it does not match

the rest of your system and you want it to then you will never

be happy. Pass on the RC-7 and find one in Black Ash. Spending

even an extra $75 is worth it when it will bother you for a long

time.

• Like 1

Run, grab it...the RC-7 is in a class far better than the other ref speakers. Since it will be partially hidden, you can always re do it. This is also a extreemly good price as well. Offer him 450 cash today, see if he bites. Do not wait long... There have been a few deals like this in my lifetime someone else got too. RATZ!!

Take it home, if you do not like it in any way I am sure 600 for someone else off of here would take it in a heartbeat.

And all broken in too.. Hurry fast!

Just do yourself and anyone else that has it on s shelf.. Put the front part to the edge of the front shelf..not back on the shelf.. It will make a HUGE difference!!

True...Only us dorks that buy speakers and talk about them for hours care about the color. Most people just buy them and LISTEN. Not look. My wife isn't a super model with gravity defying breasts, but I bought her,she sounds good and I listen to her.2.gif I say go for it.

Well after lots of searching... I truly do thing $475 is a good price for a Authorized dealer RC-7. My birthday is Sunday and the wife already gave me permission to get it. So even though cherry was not my first choice as many said... I will not see anything but the grill and who knows... maybe I will eventually upgrade my RF-35s to RF-7s and get Cherry. Actually most likely I will go to RB-75s as I really don't do much music on this system and the WAF would probably be happier with the 75s not to mention I think they can be had for less $$$.

My next desire will be a pair of RS-7s to replace my RB-35s in the rear. So if anyone has a set they one to sell... let me know.

I obviously will have a Black RC-35 for sale if anyone is interested. Heck... I might sell the whole bunch... RC-35, RF-35s, RB-35s.

Thanks for all the advice gang... hope to have it Friday night.

Audio Newbie,

If I had read your message earlier today... Sorry, I sold the RB-35s to a co-worker that has been wanting to start a system.

I have decided to sell the rest though. I have an RC-35, RF-35s and a set of RB-25s. I was going to keep the 25s for my office but think I will do some in-walls instead. Will post an official add as soon as I get some replacements for them all. All are black and I have the original boxes for all but the RB-25s.

My wife is almost a super model with amazing breasts, but I bought her, still paying for some dessert, and she makes good sounds, and loves Klipsch too! OK, too much info. LOL

Ok, the obvious question is.... If you sold everything else and bought the RC-7 center, what are you going to use now for everything else?

The RS 7's are wonderful side/back surrounds too!

So I was not the only one laughing about the super model wife analogy!!! LMAO

Indy,

I can get the RC-7 and if I can find a set of RS-7s right now. Sooo if I commit to the wife that I will sell the existing items, she will let me get a set of RB-75s. But yeah... I can't be without my HT as it is the only sound for my TV. So I can't let any of the main items go until I get replacments. So hunting I will go. There are RS-7s and RB-75s on e-bay right now... I would just prefer to find a dealer, but unless I come down to your neck of the woods... up here in South Bend I don't have any Klipsch dealers anymore.

Well Ovation is not that far for you. And if your in Indy, give me some notice.. you can hear Heritage here as well. Greg at the Indy OVATION Castleton store is a klipsch owner and will work with you a little if your serious. Tell Him Roger sent you. (I have sent him a lot of business over the years)

I also see there is an ovation in Fort Wayne. Never heard of them before. I am gonna call them tomorrow and see if they are willing to deal at all if I buy an RC-7, RB-75s and RS-7s. If they would deal with me... I would buy them all this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the info.

Hey Indy,

I called the Ovation in Ft. Wayne today and talked to Fred. Of course knowing this was gonna be tough via phone... thought I would try anyway. I told him I was looking for an RC-7, two RS-7s and two RB-75s all in Black.

His retail was $2750. Told me I could get them all for about $2300. But they don't stock the RB-75s and consider them a special order. And of course I can't order via phone would have to drive all the way there just to give them a payment to order. I guess that is a bit discouraging.

Do you think for those speakers... $2300 seems like a good deal? I found all of them from one seller on e-bay that with Shipping would be just about $2183.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Rayo