Article: Subwoofer that shook the world

His statement that hearing loss is a high-frquency phenomenon is misleading.

High frequency loss occurs because the smallest cilia are the most susceptible to damage, and since the high freqency cilia are located at the entry of the cochlea.

Low frequency sounds have first go past the cilia that are responsible for high frequecies, so they get the brunt of abuse, and they are the first to go.

Yes, it was a while ago, I am trying to scan articles of interest, this would come in handy to people who may be thinking of attempting an IB. I also had not found the article on the net, so I scanned and uploaded it.

While this is way out of the range of most people's budget and spousal approval , nevertheless it is entertaining.

Great article.

I do lot's of internet searches and I don't beleive I would have ever found this one.

Regards,

Bill Woodward

I'm an American, almost like Canadians whom I like very much, except I have been given the right by our founding fathers to defend myself with a gun if need be.

----------------

On 7/20/2005 9:45:52 AM Andy W wrote:

His statement that hearing loss is a high-frquency phenomenon is misleading.

High frequency loss occurs because the smallest cilia are the most susceptible to damage, and since the high freqency cilia are located at the entry of the cochlea.

Low frequency sounds have first go past the cilia that are responsible for high frequecies, so they get the brunt of abuse, and they are the first to go.
----------------

Actually, low frequency sound is not linked to hearing loss, but rather to respiratory illness! (Go figure!) And was anyone aware that hearing related research into the effects of sound exposure is pretty much a dead science? Even the Hearing section of OSHA was shut down in 1987!

The primary mechanism of the body in hearing LFs is via bone conduction and not the ears.

Studies regarding the effects of LF on hearing loss are practically non-existent, and what do exist point to the onset of repiratory ailments. But there are significant studies on the visceral effect upon various body cavities! It just gets weirder and weirder!

I even contacted a few folks at House Ear Institute and EAR and Etymotic for verification, as I was certain that there was SOME study somewhere regarding this! Even their research folks are unaware of such!

I was sure there was SOMETHING out there! But.... oh well....

Heh nice Front page.

Gif 16colour is good for small filesize text

but true colourjpg for images,not good if theres text + images on the same page.

Regularly,atleast once a week I go to the local club with MARTIN AUDIO sound system installed, Two WSX 18" hornloaded subwoofers with ~2.5metre path length re arrange my insides(small club ~100-200ppl crammed)

• 1 year later...