Really bad movies you enjoy watching.

grog

The Postman

Waterworld

Bedazzled....Elizabeth Hurley is HOT..

Kinda hard for me to think thru this...as most movies I like...I never had considered bad....but the ones above were listed as box office failures....

Tango and Cash --- OK I win! They don't get any worse but fun to watch--

Stallone has made alot of shi**y movies, and this one is the best of his bad ones.

Acting sucks, situations are silly, explosions are over the top, the "buddy" theme cliche is overplayed, but its entertaining--

• Moderators

----------------

On 7/22/2005 5:26:03 PM sputnik wrote:

Amy,

Are we talking about the same movie??

saturdaynightfever.jpg"

The one with the BeeGees disco music????
14.gif

"Oh Tony, can I wipe the sweat from your forehead"? That one??
9.gif9.gif

It certainly was a big time movie and it spoke of the era. I, along with most people that I knew, were put off by the hype around disco and John Travolta. I didn't even go to see when it came out. Watching the movie now; however, I wonder if they were ridiculing disco rather than hyping it. It looks like John Travolta got the joke and played it up nicely. Or maybe the disco era was just self-ridiculing. At any rate, now I get hooked every time it comes on the tube (much to my embarrassment). It was a well done movie (Travolta was perfect) that used an insipid fad as a backdrop.

A much better coming of age movie was "Breaking Away".
----------------

Yes, sputnik, the exact same movie!! Not only was it a huge icon of pop culture for it's time, but the themes still resonate today. I recognize someone I know (or used to know) in virtually all the characters... For a new perspective on the film, read this: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19990307/REVIEWS08/401010357/1023

And I concur with Breaking Away!! I used to swim in those quarries during my 5 years in Bloomington!! There are a lot of good "coming of age" films out there, and yes, that is one of the best.

Sorry Amy 15.gif,

I watched it again this last weekend and I still can't bring myself to say that it was a good movie. The situations were cliche and predictable. The other characters were just shallow cartoon-like props for Tony. There was not one that rang true for me. I will say that it was the best of the John Travolta dance movies. I can enjoy watching it for it's slickness and style but, it my opinion, the movie is a snack not a meal. Like raisinettes - covering reject raisins with chocolate makes mighty tasty (but not nourishing) comfort food. The grapes in the raisinettes are related to the ones that go into fine wine but are not of the same quality; however, if you cover them in chocolate I'll scarf them down. 3.gif

• Moderators

LOL

No problem, sputnik. Everyone's entitled to their opinion 1.gif Of course, mine's always right.

(just kiddin)

Is there a John Travolta movie that actually never shows him doing some sort of dance move?

I haven't seen some of his action movies, so I'm just curious.

----------------

On 7/25/2005 10:15:52 AM Amy Unger wrote:

Is there a John Travolta movie that actually never shows him doing some sort of dance move?

I haven't seen some of his action movies, so I'm just curious.

----------------

I don't think he dances in Broken Arrow, General's Daughter, Swordfish

----------------

On 7/25/2005 6:12:03 PM Big Ears wrote:

"Heavy Metal" I still pop in each of these a few times a year or instantly upon request.

----------------

I actually like "Heavy Metal". It is more "weird" than "bad". But than again, I've watched it mainly because I love the soundtrack. Gotta admit, there is some kick-@$$ music on there! 10.gif

----------------

On 7/22/2005 12:49:03 PM Amy Unger wrote:

Oh sputnik, I beg to differ!!! Saturday Night Fever, I think, is an excellent movie!! One of the best coming of age stories I can remember... ----------------

You're right, Amy. This is really a very fine movie, a CLASSIC bildungsroman tale perfectly told. And the disco backdrop is PERFECT I think. Anyway, I like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildungsroman

----------------

On 7/25/2005 8:38:17 PM skonopa wrote:

----------------

On 7/25/2005 6:12:03 PM Big Ears wrote:

"Heavy Metal" I still pop in each of these a few times a year or instantly upon request.

----------------

I actually like "Heavy Metal". It is more "weird" than "bad". But than again, I've watched it mainly because I love the soundtrack. Gotta admit, there is some kick-@$$ music on there!
10.gif

----------------

I agree it is weird. I too have always watched because of the soundtrack. "The Mob Rules" is my favorite. I loved Dio in Black Sabbath. Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules were both great albums. I guess why I listed it is that I still love to watch it, but If I try to get someone else to watch it with me, they just don't get it.