Impressed yet again by Fortes

Cal Blacksmith

Well yet again, I am impressed with how low the Fortes can dig! The amp on my sub started acting up last night when I was playing my Hell Freezes Over DVD so I turned the sub off, re-set the front speakers to Large and sent all the LFE to the front speakers, I gotta say that the sub was hardly missed at all! Yes, there is more of the chest thumping with the sub but you could still feel it with the Forte only, not as hard as with the sub but you still could feel it! I switched to a movie (Cat Woman) and I hardly missed the sub but I did kind of fear for the Fortes with some of the effects though the drivers were nowhere near bottoming out. The sub is under warrantee and will be fixed but in the mean time do you think I could damage the Fortes running them hard (about 90 db + peaks) with the LFE?

Not a chance! I ran my Forte's for 12 years with a 300W per channel amplifier, Cerwin Vega D-8's and Polk Audio RTA-12C's couldn't take it. The most I ever did was blow a pair of tweeter diaphrams and that was probably due to my DBX 3BX-III Dynamic Range Expander.

90db+ is child's play.

Fortes have been moving pictures around on my walls since 1986.

Had them in a 2-ch rig with the Adcom GFA-1A @ 200 w/ch amp - and still remember the time (living in base housing, over xmas break with everyone else on leave) when I did "Houses of the Holy" with both amp LEDs flashing (indicating peaks ~ 200 watts)- clean, powerful, amazing sound

Maybe I'm screwing up on HT though.

I've got my RXV-995 set to "large" for all 4 Fortes and my Academy, and have set the subwoofer setting to "sub+mains" seems to rock my house - I can't see setting Fortes as "small" but maybe I should set the sub to output to the SVS only?

suggestions welcome

Will your yammie let you explicitly set crossover points, or is large/small all you get? FWIW my setup is really close to yours -- Chorus II/Academy/Quartet -- but I run the Academy "small." I find I get better intelligibility and less fear of hurting those two little 8s that way.

nope, just "large" or "small" - but I'll give the "small" setting a try tonight.

funny, since getting the academy and the fortes for L+R rears, my wife and daughter are watching movies every day, and most nights.

Wife actually let me crank up "The Fifth Element" the other night - and grapped the remote to turn the singing by the "diva" up louder. All she used to do was say "does it need to be that loud?"

Sorry about the double post, but some in either of these fourms never get to the other. My feeling was that those into HT would have a different take on things than someone who was not into Ht.

Yes, I can set the Xover point on the output to the sub. I have the Fortes running wide open freq wise right now, I could set the xover to 40,60,80,90,100,110,120,160 and 200 hz. Normaly I have it set to 80 and let the sub take the rest but with the sub out of action, I just let it all go to the Fortes.

As I said, I have run MUSIC through them many times at 110 db but in the HT setup, I have the volume set to 90 db at the seating position, which is about 14 feet back. I am concered about the LFE power at that volume.

• Moderators

I asked the same question a while back and still not sure.

I have the forte ll and my reciever only has a crosover at 100, the lfe is set to both mains and sub but i haven,t played a movie with low bass yet.

With music with multi ch recordings< dvd >sounds better than just set to sub only so movies should also sound better.

But like you what if a movie has lfe well below what the forte can handle what will happen, i don,t want to find out the hard way.

Will very low bass or lfe well below what a speaker can handle do, will it just not try to reproduce it or will it bottom out the driver and or hurt it?

You guys have NOT heard what the Forte will do until you have heard it with rebuilt crossovers. I put K-stacks in mine and these things ROCK - I mean, it was HARD to believe that you could improve the Forte (like the Academy) but you CAN. Want BETTER bass than before? I kid you not. Want crisper highs? Want orchestral strings to sing? It's amazing stuff...write me if you want to talk about upgrades. It is WELL worth the cost and elevates a very good speaker to a GREAT one...

Chris

Go for it. I run my LFE through my sub and Cornwalls ALL THE TIME. They LOVE it! I think it really help hearing the LFE program all across the front instead of the 'box in the corner' (which is right by my center in my case). At your volume level, you'll be fine for now. Just watch the bottoming.

Michael

He's not kidding either, the difference with the K-Stack in the Academy brought it to the level of my La Scala! If you think the Forte' is something out of the box you have no idea what it is really capable of.

Feersum/Cal save your money and do your Forte's and Academy (if you have one) and be prepared to be floored. You could spend $3K - $5K on gear and source changes and not yield the same gains. It is really remarkable.

I know, I know it just never ends! 9.gif

----------------

On 7/21/2005 8:05:06 AM Cal Blacksmith wrote:

do you think I could damage the Fortes running them hard (about 90 db + peaks) with the LFE?

----------------

Fortes should be okay, but Forte IIs with the vented woofer (K-25-K)can rattle the glue off that little screen. I have seen (heard?) this happen more than once.