The recording industry, payola, and payback

codhead

Remember when the recording industry started suing 12-year-olds for swapping .MP3 files? Of course they offered to "settle" for an average of $3-5K. All in the name of "setting an example".

Looks like it's payback time! One can only hope that the FCC shares their enthusiasm for prosecution. Maybe we'll get to see some record execs do the "perp walk".

It will go on forever trust me.

10 million is just a drop in the bucket for a good artist. The author has his bent and it shows.. None of his artists sell anything today, so it is easy to take a stab at Jessica Simpson. It might be scary to see just how many CD's she has sold to date. (I think Jessica is the wrong target. Her sis Asley however, can't sing and has proven it.. but their dad is a marketing/ promotion Pro... and Ashley is still selling out teenie bopper concerts. Go figure, after getting caught lippsinging on SNL and a terrible off key at the Orange bowl too?)

J lo.. Maybe a few hits, never understood the mystique... Jenny never really was "part of the Bronx" as much as she claims..

Beyoncé', on the other hand if she is a part of this, is another artist beautiful.. a few songs.. VERY carefully packaged, but IMO (I will get on my soapbox here) not worth it as well. A little movie part here, commercials here, makup here, magazine covers here, dating so and so here, National Enquierer big butt here,,, who cares???? Geeze.. Several fired Destiny's Child singers later, Beyoncé' and her dad are taking "Beyoncé'" solo. Well it has always been about her anyways, lets see how she does?

BTW, it would be insanely stupid to not know or understand that probably every artist at one time was not carefully packaged and sold to us. Even the Beatles had incredible hype... And sometimes bands of my youth were just really pounded at us there is no way some big money machine was not behind it. (That's how it works)

----------------

On 7/25/2005 11:30:50 PM codhead wrote:

Remember when the recording industry started suing 12-year-olds for swapping .MP3 files? Of course they offered to "settle" for an average of $3-5K. All in the name of "setting an example".

Looks like it's
! One can only hope that the FCC shares their enthusiasm for prosecution. Maybe we'll get to see some record execs do the "perp walk".

----------------

Oh geez! Imagine that! The labels bribing the stations to play their banel, untalented crap! Who would've thunk? </sarcasm>

Does beg the question, though. I wonder if they are trying to pull this crap with the satellite radio services. That is one of the reason why I got satellite radio in the first place - just could not take any more of the $#!+ that is constantly dished out by the regular local FM stations.

J-Lo and Good Charlette! LOL! What do they expect. I showed the article to my daughter a big Charlette fan. That music SOOO sucks I'm not suprised. Those kids have never heard of a guitar solo.7.gif I grew up with Randy Rhoades, Eddie VanHalen, Stevie Vai, George Lynch. etc....... These groups know a few cords and thats it.15.gif

----------------

On 7/26/2005 11:37:19 PM charlieboy wrote:

I grew up with Randy Rhoades, Eddie VanHalen, Stevie Vai, George Lynch. etc....... These groups know a few cords and thats it.
15.gif

----------------

Ain't that the truth! It was funny just today, while me and one of my friends was working out at the gym, a Greenday song came on. My friend immediatly said, "Yup listen to that single chord and all that whining in the vocals". I could not help but laugh!

I grew up with the likes of Styx, Boston, The Cars, Pink Floyd, Yes, Emerson, Lake, and Powell, and even they displayed some real talent.

Right now, I am listening to Ayreon - The Final Experiment. I cannot even begin to imagine if any of those so called "radio" bands can even begin to comprehend playing anything like like that! With all the key and tempo changes, very techincal guitar work, and so forth, so typical in a progressive piece such as that.

And the likes of Sonata Arctica will friggan blow the likes of Greenday, Good Charlotte, and the like away in shear talent and musicianship (and yeah baby! Found out they (Sonata Arctica) are going to be playing Jaxx again in January! I am so there - just hope it does not get snowed out!). They seem to really do it for the love of the craft, instead of just a way to become "rich and famous". And guess who's CD's I've bought and who's I didn't. Safe to bet that there is plenty of Sonata Arctica in my collection, but not even so much as an MP3 of Good Charlotte's music.

I agree, all the music they are talking about is so bad, they have to pay people to listen to it. Look at MTV, it has been unwatchable for years. VH-1 too. When they do play videos, they s**k. I'm sure they are paying for the videos to get air play as well.

Need one look any further then the manufactured commodities of American Idol for evidence of the sad shape of commercial entertainment?

And to focus on an easy target like counry music, where the irony is that there is real talent who not only can write and perform, but who rank 6th or 7th in the labels' stables, just beyond the labels promotional dollars, often having their songs cannibalized for release by one of the top tier manufactured 'formula' acts that fit their perceived trend. As evidenced by the popularization of the term "ROPS" ("regular ol' piece of....", well, you get the point!) within the industry in Nashville for the various country formula 'hat acts' and manufactered female studio creations. But Hayes Carlock can take credit for that gem!

But it's pointless at this stage to rehash the problems...I think it is testimony enough that so much of what I listen to is from older artists, and only a few newer artists. And a shame...as the industry's formatting has simply outlived its usefulness. And a shame that attempts to realign formats such as what country has become, now dominated by mediocre acts featuring retread 70s pop songs and refusing to play the classic country artists, with formats such as Americana, where broader 'country' inspired acts from Hank Williams Sr. to Chris Isaak to Wilco to Johnny Cash to The Flying Burrito Brothers & Poco to The Desert Rose Band to Loretta Lynn, have failed so badly. And where artists like Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, Steve Earle, Roseanne Cash, Emmylou Harris (don't forget how country freaked when she released Wrecking Ball!), and even Chris Isaak, and so many others seldom get played simply due to the inability for them to be easily classified by the old rules, just as politics kept the country rock folks from being played on country stations in the early 70's.

Oh well... How often are you stimulated to rush out to buy something now, compared to 35 years ago? But gee, isn't there a new hip hop release available????? 'Nuf said....

The article doesn't really lay out many details. But in reading just what is there, it sounds like the radio stations are more guilty than Sony. The radio stations are the ones demanding the money from Sony, and sometimes not even playing the song they demanded money to play!

We can't assume that Sony is the only one paying the extortion. And don't assume either that without the payment of this extortion that we'd all be hearing "quality" music on the airwaves. Get real.

Greetings,

The fact that so many less-than-talented "stars" are payola-pushed on the public doesn't explain why the public goes out an buys it. Junk is junk.

When I was in my 20's I gravitated towards acts such as UFO, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Blue Oyster Cult, etc. Most of them received only token airplay here in Chicago, yet their albums sold well and their concerts sold out.

And while MTV has spent the last 20 years glorifying the lowest common denominator, I can remember shows such as "Rock Concert", "The Midnight Special" and "American Bandstand" which regularly did the same thing. (Can anyone remember Neil Sedaka or Elton John with Kiki Dee -- gimme a break! 14.gif )

I suspect there's as much good music being made today as there ever was; sadly, it's still a matter of spending the extra time and effort to find it.

Take care,

Scott

----------------

On 7/27/2005 8:27:07 AM scotbuck wrote:

I suspect there's as much good music being made today as there ever was; sadly, it's still a matter of spending the extra time and effort to find it.

Scott

----------------

Exactly! I am finding a ton of awesome music that I would've never knew about if I just stuck listening to the radio. For example, to use Sonata Arctica again (which, admittedly, is one my all-time favorite bands right now, next to Stratovarius), I did not find about them until somebody mentioned them to me in a newsgroup. Same thing with Nightwish as well. I found out about Stratovarius after hearing one of thier tracks on the "metal" Music Choice channel that came with my DirecTV service. Thanks to things like Amazon's "if you like that album, check out these as well" type thing, I was able to go and explore more, such as Dream Theater, Kamelot, Hammerfall, etc. Legallities aside, I found allofmp3.com to be invaluable in exploring various artists and music, especially since they have a very nice "those that got this album also got the following:" type thing, as well as the "similiar artists/albums" thing, not to mention being able to preview the entire album, not just some 30-second clip (granted, at a pretty crappy 24kbs mono stream - but it is decent enough to get a good idea of how the album sounds).

Yes, there is plenty of good music by talented artists out there. To bad you most likely won't hear it on the typical "mainstream" media, such as MTV and FM Radio. How I love the internet! It truly opened up a whole new world of awesome music to me!

----------------

On 7/27/2005 8:00:26 AM Parrot wrote:

We can't assume that Sony is the only one paying the extortion. And don't assume either that without the payment of this extortion that we'd all be hearing "quality" music on the airwaves. Get real.

----------------

You are probably right, but still. It is sad when they have to resort to things like that to get music played on the radio, when there are plenty of truly talanted acts out there. People buy that crap up pretty much like people buy up that Bose crap. After all, if it is played on the radio, than it must be good, since only the "good" artists get radio play! When I've mentioned some of the music and bands that I like to listen to, I've gotten comments like "I've never heard them on the radio, they must not be that good then".

At least for now, satellite radio is playing plenty of good music. I do wonder how long that will last, though.