Hauling Klipschorns!

anarchist

Hi guys,

Any words of advice on how best to transport Khorns in a pickup truck? Lay 'em on their sides, fronts, backs or what? Take off the tops and fabric panels?

Help me out here. I am excited by the acquisition and don't want to go postal if they are a mess before I get home.

When I picked up mine and transported them home (15 minute trip) via my Avalanche I had them standing up with the HF tops removed (take off the wingnuts) and the side grills removed (also remove the wingnuts)...the LF bass bins then stood up in the bed just as they would in my home...I had little to no problem...bring lots of blankets or padding and be careful driving...this will hold you until more transport experts chime in. I had the HF tops inside the cab (Avy is a four door with more interior room at the expense of bed room)

Remember that these are heavy and if you can get a friend (I did it by myself but my excitement boosted my strength ;) it will be easier to move them.

Good luck and you will enjoy the K'Horns!

Bill

----------------

On 7/27/2005 9:34:09 AM silversport wrote:

When I picked up mine and transported them home (15 minute trip) via my Avalanche I had them standing up...

Remember that these are heavy and if you can get a friend (I did it by myself but my excitement boosted my strength
;)
it will be easier to move them.

----------------

Agreed. Transporting them in a pickup truck, it'll be easiest to leave them standing upright.

The problem with laying them down is that the brackets which hold the side skirts on will gouge the crap out of your bed (and risk being bent). Without the tops, they have a very low center of gravity.

I would place them face-to-face (with a heavy moving pad between them, of course) and tie them together. Then just run a rope to hold them up near the cab and you're set. They won't budge a bit.

I also agree that, while it's always easier to have some help in moving them...It can DEFINITELY be done solo. Khorns are actually easier for one person to move than Belles or LaScalas due to their unique shape and smaller footprint.

Have fun.

The above is good advice.

Let me add from my own experience. If you have the "C" cabinets, there is no horizontal strip on the bottom of the fronts. If you are unlucky, when you slide them (even just a little) there is a danger of pulling the outside ply (on the bottom) away and possibly chipping it.

Again, plenty of blankets and pads.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Wow..?? Standing up??

Tops off sides off.. Lay em on the sides.. plenty of blankets should be fine.. Tie em down!

I would not have them standing up at all, if they fall sideways your in trouble. (breaking steering they will go into each other) They will fit into a van or a truckbed no problem.

Good luck.. I know we tend to agree or dissagree on a lot of things.. I hope in a good room you will enjoy and LOVE the K horns as much as I do.. Maybe, we can at least agree on that, and not waiver?

Congrats!

Thanks guys. All good thoughts. Its only a 20 mile trip but the thought of having to take off the fiberglass tonneau on the truck (with its hinges, struts, and everything else leads me to think picking up a UHaul might be a great idea and easier. I was thinking I would lay them down in the bed but that worries me a bit and no-one has suggested performing such a manuever.

PS. Ah! Indy. Thanks for that thought - perhaps I am not crazy. Yes we disagree frequently but on many things we are in agreement. I look at you as that ornery brother you loved but wanted to smack most of the time.9.gif

PSS. Want to thank forum members and particularly Daddy Dee for this purchase. A while back, always looking to buy more stuff, Dee and perhaps a few others had encouraged me that a pair of Khorns would make a much larger difference than swapping out an amp or preamp and to go in that direction... done.

PS. Ah! Indy. Thanks for that thought - perhaps I am not crazy. Yes we disagree frequently but on many things we are in agreement. I look at you as that ornery brother you loved but wanted to smack most of the time.

Course, I am the "Older Brother" that kicks your arse..LOL..

Take care and enjoy!

I saw your upgrading from this: Klipsch Heresies; Klipsch KG4's; Klipsch KSP400s/C6/S6

Wow, your gonna be a happy camper!!

Oh, I am keeping all those as well. 3.gif

Yes, you would be the older brother bound for a wheelchair much sooner than I and then...

Thanks Indy. I am stoked about the Khorns. Have wanted a pair ever since I was in junior high and snuck out of school to Jessica's house for some fun... and discovered her fathers Khorns and tube amps.

During the 70s, when I used four Speakerlab SKs in a mobile DJ business, they always--and often--traveled standing up. Of course, I was not worried about the finish on the raw birch plywood enclosures painted a lovely shade of flat black. Nevertheless, the four were crammed so tightly, along with the other gear, into a 5 x 10 U-Haul trailer that they could not shift in transit. If well padded and anchored, standing up is fine. I never had a problem with the components inside the cabinets shifting or coming loose.