If you had to choose between these three amps to match with your Klipsch...

erdric

Some things to know about amps...

Klipsch speakers since they are horn loaded will expose bright amps much more then no harn loaded ones.

So the best choice in a matching amp would be a smooth sounding amp.

The B&K amps are very smooth,great choice.Rotel power amps combine smoothness and great detail,as well as some good damping.

Outlaw,ATI and Earthquake amps are better built but sound less smooth,still very good with Klipsch speakers.And have more damping,bass hits hard and is always defined.

Acurus and Adcom amps are also very much like ATI and Outlaw,good built quality and match well.Good damping,in one word solid and not overpriced.

Just stay away from amps like Denon,Sony,Pioneer, Technichs and other brand name.These may give detail but in no way can match the above in bass control(damping)and dont sound as relaxed,as efortless.

I heard so many amps AT HOME,so I know.I own many power amps and amps do have an impact on sound quality.

I dont care what some low-fi reviews may say,they need their ears cleaned.

And if you want some top class power amps then I can recomend these few...

Celeste (two or five channel,superb value)

Bryston (the configuration that suits you)

Krell (my reference and that of many audiophiles)

Musical Fidelity (bargain,read bargain,very MUSICAL)

BAT (two,three,four,five or six channels of glory)

PassAleph(Pass Labs) (my second fave,transparency unmatched,not cheap)

Spectral (fastest,most detailed amps in the world,not cheap)

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hey Ear, gotcher ears on? :^)

How about laying your op on me regarding speaker wire and interconnects.Let me have some actual instances where you noticed,or thought you noticed,an improvement or degradation in sound quality.I promise I won't critize your opinions and I promise you that others probably WILL!

Keith

Talk to Keith I will...

Ok I dont own any cheapo speaker wire or interconects(cheapos are called patch cords by audiophiles Smile.gif ).

I can tell you if you use a dollar store unshielded wires you get interferance.Its very audible unless one uses a Dollar store stereo.

Now if you get a quality shielded Rat Shack or any inexpensive Ultra Link interconect and compare it to a "High-End" MIT,Kimber Select,Cardas Golden Cross or Monster M1000 then you need very revealing gear to hear anything "more".

Most forum regulars here dont have the high-end to warrant the purchase of the exotic cables.And its true to say most expensive cables can be a total waste of money in most cases!I even say it loud and clear(less then 0.05 % THD).

Where interconacts and speaker cables(and even power cords)will have an impact(and most of the time minute!)

is on some(read on few)true High-End gear with very revealing speakers.

Most High-End reviewers exagerate and say cable A is silky smooth and cable B was hasrsh as sanding paper!

LOL This is in most part hype

I have the Dynaudio Contour 3.3 and Spendor FL10 speakers and I can tell you I did hear small(read very very small)diference when changing interconects and even speaker cables!You have to use a high quality switcher to hear as the human memory to remember the sound is quite poor.And I know my speakers and gear very well,most would say WHAT? UH OH WHERE...DOH!? And some to not look bad would say "YEAH ITS BETTER" Then you ask them what is better? And they say "Oh the sound" LOL

One thing is for sure,buy good shielded interconects like the Ultralink and some good quality speaker wire about $0.50/ft.You dont have to spend much more.

Its simply funny when someone who owns Klipsch RF-7 speakers uses lampcord!Its like the owner of a new BMW M5 who would like to pour water in the gastank to save!? Go figure

When you have the green for good amps,speakers dont use patchcords and lampwire,it looks clownish.Even if a "respected"(by who?clowns maybe)mag tells you they dont hear a thing.

I have Monster Sigma,M2.2 and M2.4B speaker wire plus some more heavy speaker wire and I do not regret my purchase.I balance my system,even stands have to be high-end!

I do not claim what some(most)High-End mags claim,I would need to spend 5-10 times more and then I would probably have the ultimate in High-End exotica,and maybe just maybe I would use phony words to describe the sound of a conector! LOL

Not my style

This is why I also have Klipsch speakers,good value,good sound quality.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Does the Outlaw 1050 come close to sounding like the 750? I realize one is an amp and one is a receiver, but does the quality sound of the Outlaw amp carry over to the Outlaw receivers?

Hey Ears, why do you not like the Denons? I am considering the 3802 for my system, but if the 1050 is comparable, for less than half the price I am in for some reconsideration. The Outlaw 1050 only has 6 @ 65 compared to the Denon 3802's 7 @ 110, but running RF3's, RC3, RS3's and one of the SVS subs do I need the extra power from the Denon?

MattG

MattG,

I know that Klipsch are really efficient but I tend to believe that you should always go with higher WPC. IMO you always want to have as much headroom as possible. I long for the day when I have an amp that cranks at reference levels for long periods and doesn't even consider getting warm. I'm not sure if 65WPC would give you that headroom. I know that a lot of people use the Outlaw receiver but I think that I see many more people upgrading to better and more powerful separate amplification. I know that's why I started this thread.

I suspect I'm about to catch hell from somebody Smile.gif

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

erdric,

Catch hell...Nooooo. I think you're on target! Add to that ones personal preference for listening levels and room size.

Used my RF-3 Series as the main HT setup for about 4 months with a NAD T 761 receiver, hi current amps and rated at 80 Watts. It drove the speakers really well at moderate listening levels. However, when pushed to the upper volume levels, I could tell that it was the receiver that was reaching its limits, not the speakers! I added the Outlaw 750 and was thoroughly pleased with the added performance. I've since switched my main setup to Heritage Speakers, with the RF-3's on the "B" channel.

I think that in a small room with moderate listening levels, the Outlaw 1050 would perform admirably. Another great feature of the 1050 is its versatile sub crossover adjustments. I think that the 1050 pared with an Outlaw 750 or some other equally or greater amp would provide that additional punch to drive an RF* Series to any listening level desired. If I were going with a receiver only setup, I'd choose the Denon 3802 for the additional headroom you mentioned.

Wes

----------------------------------------------

Main System Setup

NAD T 761 Receiver (Pre-outs to Outlaw)

Outlaw 750 5 Channel Amp

Klipsch Cornwalls (Front w/Outlaw)

Klipsch Heresy's (Front w/NAD)

Klipsch Academy (Center w/NAD)

Klipsch Cornwall (V) II's (Rear w/Outlaw)

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear w/NAD)

SVS SV20-39CS SUB (NAD 2400THX Bridged)

Klipsch KSW-12 (Sub)

Klipsch RF-3's (NAD T 761 "B" Channel)

Denon DVM-3700 DVD

Sony CDP-CA80ES

Sony MiniDisk Deck MDS-JE320

Mitsubishi Stereo VCR

Mitsubishi 52" Wide Screen

Sony Remote Commander RM-AV2100

Monster Cable HTS-3500 Audio/Video Power Conditioner

Bedroom HT Setup

Onkyo TX-DS484

Sony DVP-530D

Sony Dual Cassette Deck

Phillips Magnavox 27'

Klipsch Quintets (Front, Center & Surrounds)

Infinity SubWoofer

3rd System Setup - Listening Only

Sony Prologic Receiver STR-D1015

Sony CassetteTC-K444esII

DAK Stereo Power Controller

Technics Turntable SL-D2

Akiai GX-280D 4 Track Real

Klipsch Walnut Quartet's

2 EA. Quintet's

Klipsch Walnut KG2.2V Center

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-22-2001 at 08:15 AM

MattG,

Here's their meaning:

LOL - Laugh Out Loud

IMO - In My Opinion

IMHO - In My Humble Opinion

Later, Wes

------------------

Main System Setup

NAD T 761 Receiver (Pre-outs to Outlaw)

Outlaw 750 5 Channel Amp

Klipsch Cornwalls (Front w/Outlaw)

Klipsch Heresy's (Front w/NAD)

Klipsch Academy (Center w/NAD)

Klipsch Cornwall (V) II's (Rear w/Outlaw)

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear w/NAD)

SVS SV20-39CS SUB (NAD 2400THX Bridged)

Klipsch KSW-12 (Sub)

Klipsch RF-3's (NAD T 761 "B" Channel)

Denon DVM-3700 DVD

Sony CDP-CA80ES

Sony MiniDisk Deck MDS-JE320

Mitsubishi Stereo VCR

Mitsubishi 52" Wide Screen

Sony Remote Commander RM-AV2100

Monster Cable HTS-3500 Audio/Video Power Conditioner

Bedroom HT Setup

Onkyo TX-DS484

Sony DVP-530D

Sony Dual Cassette Deck

Phillips Magnavox 27'

Klipsch Quintets (Front, Center & Surrounds)

Infinity SubWoofer (powered by Sony STR-AV760)

Sub Out to Sony STR-AV760

3rd System Setup - Listening Only

Sony Prologic Receiver STR-D1015

Sony CassetteTC-K444esII

DAK Stereo Power Controller

Technics Turntable SL-D2

Akiai GX-280D 4 Track Real

Klipsch Walnut Quartet's

2 EA. Quintet's

Klipsch Walnut KG2.2V Center

MattG...LOL

Ok wait a minute here I own TWO yes TWO Denon... recievers.I have the 5800 and 3801.Only used as pre/pro

and ATI amps provide the punch to the speakers.

I did not say Denon,Yamaga,B&K,Integra recievers were bad,their amps are far from great.That is all.

Well the Integra Research power amp is awesome,and guess what? Its designed by BAT!Strange huh,no in Japan they know american amps kick a$$.Plain and simple.

What I wanted to say is I would not buy a Denon,Yamaha or SONY power amp.I did not refer to recievers.

There are so many great American and Canadian power amps why buy El Cheapos?And you dont need to spend a fortune to own a super amp.

ATI(I have the 1505 and 2505)

Outlaw

B&K

Acurus

Carver(I have the TFM-75)

Sunfire

and some other American quality amps

And these are more costly and get you the extra power and finesse...

Krell(mmmm undisputed heavyweight champ of solid state,I love my FPB600...love...NAH )

Mark Levinson(Krell arch enemy)

Jeff Rowland(for the perfectionist,sound and built)

Spectral(fastest most detailed? YES)

BAT(Krell like power and finesse at a good price)

Aragon(value priced High-End )

CinePro(the SE versions are damn good,READ SUPER VALUE)

Bryston(Canadian made High-End amps at a good price)

Classe(Canadian made super amps,Krell like power)

Celsete(Canadian made super amps,detail and power)

and counting...

So my point buy North American brands,you support the local economy and you get better sound quality and much better built quality.ALL MY AMPS ARE AMERICAN OR CANADIAN and I am proud to own them.No cheapo mass market!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks to all that have given their thoughts on this topic. I believe that I have come to the conclusion that the Rotel is my first choice for a separate amp.

I still don't know what I'm going to do for a pre/pro. I eventually want to have a separate pre/pro but for the time being I might go with a receiver as a pre/pro. Unfortunately, I started having problems with my Yamaha AGAIN this weekend. I planned on using it as a pre/pro. I might have to upgrade sooner then I expected.

Anyway, thanks again to all.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3