New Samsung 1080p TV

customsteve01

I love the samsung DLP HDTV's..

My only "caveat" is what material is availiable for them to show at this level? My gut is, not much! It (might) be coming, all we know for sure is the signals will be in digital Jan 1st 2006. No word on how many of those will be HDTV though...

I have a Samsung DLP HDTV model over a year old. It is just outstanding still today. They will look a LOT better in your house than at the store.. I also used the Ovation test disc to re adjust some custom settings and wow.. juat amazing!

I don't think it's so much a material thing..... but more of being able to view 1080i material without the interlace artifacts..... Similar to what progressive 480p did for DVD. Assuming that you have a good deinterlacing engine for 1080i that is.

I don't think any of the HD standards have any plans for 1080p content. Even the limited info on HDDVD and Blueray don't suggest native 1080p content. So if it is there it will most likely be from deinterlacing.

Not that all of this couldn't change overnight...

OK,

Another question. If there isn't the material or brodcasts in 1080p why are they making them with this.

I'm actually looking at getting a new TV in about 6 months. Will the 780p models still be available then or will there be a 2080p model?????

I guess this is like buying a computer. You get it home and its already outdated...

Steve

okay so i feel there are some things that need to be mentioned.

first, that tv, isnt "TRUE" 1080p. its a 960 x 1080 DLP chip with half the pixels moving twice as fast or something to make 1080p. couple this with the color wheel, and i forsee even more artifacting or some other annoyance from single-chip DLP sources.

second: as many people mentioned, there is no 1080p sources, and there probably wont be any. All the networks have already chosen 1080i or 720p, and i doubt any future networks will go 1080p. HD-DVD/Blu-ray may release movies in this format, but there's no garantees, that this samsung or any future models will even ACCEPT 1080p as an input, or whether those players will OUTPUT 1080p without converting it into 1080i.

1080p right now seems like a gimmick, especially with single chip DLP solutions. I doubt the quality will get any better, i fear the opposite, compared to 720p sets. So its really up to you, but those are the points to consider.

read this if you want to know more:

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/reality.htm

----------------

On 7/28/2005 8:06:07 PM customsteve01 wrote:

Has anyone seen the new 1080p
TV's?

I was wondering if they are going to be worth the extra money over the 780p models.

Steve

----------------

If you consider it will scale SD or HD broadcasts up to 1080P versus 720P for about the same price then it would be worth it. There is a another improvement in contrast with the six generation of Texas Instrument DLP chip. Should be available in August.

----------------

On 7/29/2005 7:05:20 PM STL wrote:

What's this 780p everyone keeps talking about? I've never seen it listed as a HD standard. Do you really mean 720p?

----------------

lol at 780!

480i/p = 640x480

720i/p = 1280x720

1080i/p = 1920x1080

the next resolution steps will be (DRUM ROLL)

1620i/p = 2880x1620

2430i/p = 4320x2430

Then humanity will die and aliens will develope 64800 x 36450

1.gif

Ou8thisSN,

unfortunately your information is almost completely wrong.

first and formost, yes the 1080p TVs use a 960x1080 DLP chip, but this is TRUE 1080p. these TVs can fully resolve a 1920x1080x60fps test signal, PERIOD. the chip operates at 120 cycles per second, using one micro-mirror to cover 2 pixels. you cannot see any difference between this and a fixed pixel 1920x1080 chip, anyone who tells you otherwise has no idea what they are talking about.

second of all, both blue-laser formats(blue-ray and HD-DVD) will both support a full 1920x1080x60fps output signal. these devices will hit the market by christmass at the earliest, spring '06 at the latest.. so there are devices that will utilize this signal. the PS3's standard output resolution will be 1080p.

the other reason for this display is because most regular 720p TVs do not de-interlace a 1080i signal properly.. usually they de-interlace down to 540p and then upscale the signal to 720p. a true 1080p tv will just de-interlace from 1080i to 1080p, which will eliminate any de-interlacing artifacts.

the brand new samsung 1080p sets may not accept a full 1080p signal through the HDMI port, because there are no HDMI chips that support this resolution. but the HDMI standard does have the bandwidth required for this type of signal, and i would be surprised if they havent started making them as we speak.

the new mitsubishi and toshiba displays will infact accept a true 1080p signal. they should be out in a few months.

and last but not least, the rainbow effect has been all but eliminated with the new 1080p chips, and the image quality has been improved with all sources by this new technology..

just because the new samsungs dont accept 1080p via HDMI does not make them a gimmick, these TVs are the future.

----------------

On 7/28/2005 8:06:07 PM customsteve01 wrote:

Has anyone seen the new 1080p
TV's?

----------------

Local Fry's in San Francisco Bay Area had both the 56" HL-R5688W for $4995 and the HL-R6178W for $4395. Comparing the 720P similar size Sony, JVC, Mitsubishi and older Samsung DLP and LCD models right next to them and you could clearly see the difference while watching a HD concert. The sharpness and contrast improvement with the new 1080P Samsung DLP sets is noticable! Colors look very good (no green problem).

I see a future upgrade in my living room coming.

9.gif

http://avrev.com/news/0705/29.toshibahdmi.html

title: HD-DVD Players Will Officially Output HD on HDMI

written by: Jerry Del Colliano

date: July 29, 2005

Toshiba, one of the leading forces behind the HD-DVD movement, announced on a recent road show just how they plan to get High Definition video from an HD-DVD disc to your starving HDTV set. High res signal will officially flow through the easy to use HDMI cable while the analog outs will be downconverted to traditional, non-HD 480i.

HD recording enthusiasts will not be happy about the lack of 1080i and 720p flowing freely from the back of their new HD disc players however another more important people will be thrilled Hollywood movie executives. Studios know the importance of selling their films right into your living room considering the boom in home theater paired with stagnant box office numbers in 2005.

Rumors persist that HD-DVD and the competing HD disc format, Blu-ray, could possibly hit store shelves for Christmas. This Septembers CEDIA trade show will have to be the coming out party for one or both of the two formats if they are to even hope to make a splash this holiday season. Even if they miss this holiday selling season, the popular momentum for HDTV is so strong that people will want to buy movies on discs that look many times better. The question is will two competing formats make mainstream consumers move into a wait-and-see mode like they did with DVD-Audio and SACDs ugly format war?

NatGun, using one micromirror to cover to pixels is flat out rediculous. you keep clinging to your dream that its a 1:1 pixel match. doesnt matter anyway, I didnt need that article to conveince me, I merely used it as a backup to things i've been thinking for months now anyway. As far as I think, there will be no 1080P sources, PERIOD.

well then your just being rediculous... ive seen the test screens, these tvs fully resolve 1080p sources with no visible drawbacks whatsoever over a fixed-pixel microdisplay. its not a sorta-kinda situation here. these tvs either fully resolve 1920x1080x60fps or they dont. if they can resolve a 1080p test pattern, then it IS 1080p. and it is a fact that blueray and hd-dvd will both support this format... so at this point i really have no idea what your talking about. do a little more research next time.

Where is it stated as fact that the HD dvd and blueray sources will support 1080p content stored on the media?

And on another topic although it's not HD quality..... Upscaled standard def. material can look VERY good. Unfortunately, the upscaling that most people are familar with is terrible. The upscaling engines in just about every consumer product is just bad... There are some amazing pieces of equipment though that make it look stunning. I've been messing with scalers for years due to my CRT proj. Mainly for scan line visability purposes... But if anyone thinks that upscaled DVD looks bad they should stop over and see what it can look like done right.

----------------

On 7/31/2005 11:34:45 PM NatGun wrote:

well then your just being rediculous... ive seen the test screens, these tvs fully resolve 1080p sources with no visible drawbacks whatsoever over a fixed-pixel microdisplay. its not a sorta-kinda situation here. these tvs either fully resolve 1920x1080x60fps or they dont. if they can resolve a 1080p test pattern, then it IS 1080p. and it is a fact that blueray and hd-dvd will both support this format... so at this point i really have no idea what your talking about. do a little more research next time.----------------

Hmmm.

Personally I find this entire debate a bit spurious.

I am reasonably sure that at some point 1080p content will be supported. But until then, this entire debate is a bit like debating what color my hydrogen powered car will be.

So I would agree, a little research is indeed in order!!!

And the fact that a particular media will support an particular format does NOT necesarily imply that anyone is, nor will, produce product content in that format for commerical use. So your objection does not address the point that, to the best of my research as well, currently NO ONE has gone on record as stating an intention to produce commercial product content in that format. But you might be able to watch some home movies on the video cameras that will reportedly support the format and back them up onto your Blu-ray unit as well.

Oh boy! Home movies!!

Everyone run!

2.gif9.gif2.gif9.gif

Just think! Jerry Springer, the Simpsons and Ompah on my umpteen thousand dollar TV! Just one more point in the argument against evolution!