Teac vs Crown

Tony Reed

The D-75A is a fine amp.

From my reading, class T does not use analog feed back like the class D amps. This amp uses a digital signal processor to convert the analog input to a Pulse Width Modulated signal and processes the feedback information. The processor looks at the feedback information and makes timing adjustments. The feedback is digital and is sampled ahead of the output filter, thus avoiding phase shift in the output filter. Both class D and T amplifier distortion arises from timing/phase errors, while the class T amp attempts to minimize this by using digital timing feedback. And while this minimizes some of the phase errors, it does not eliminate them.

In class T the idle current remains high similar to a class A amp.

So heres my gripe:

That does NOT make this a digital amplifier!

While I am not in a position to compare the amps, my gripe is limited to wishing that others would stop making incorrect generalizations and calling class T amps digital amps! Many pieces of intrumentation use digital components or subsections. And the word digital contains no magic.

And I really don't care what the various marketing blurbs say... this is an analog amp utilizing feedback in the digital domain.

I wish I cared enough to get involved in a debate on this!2.gif2.gif2.gif9.gif9.gif3.gif

----------------

On 8/1/2005 11:22:55 PM dragonfyr wrote:

I wish I cared enough to get involved in a debate on this!
----------------

I'm kind of glad you don't! 3.gif

Seriously though, there are complexities in these circuits that are less than well known. Thanks for illustrating s slice of that. It's worth further research should one be interested. The Teac in question (I always want to call it "The Little Teac") sounds pretty good, I think. That has been pretty well hashed out here. I'll soon be in a position to hear more pro amps than I really want to, but I'm sure I'll drag a few home for weekend visits here and there...

----------------

On 8/2/2005 12:17:46 AM ben. wrote:

----------------

----------------

I'm kind of glad you don't!
3.gif

Seriously though, there are complexities in these circuits that are less than well known. Thanks for illustrating s slice of that.

---------------------------------

Yep I am the fool and you are the wizard! Its a shame my
incorrect
information came directly from whitepapers on the technology. (oops!)

And Tripath refers to
both
class D and class T as 'digital' amplifiers! Whatever....

Why don't I care!?

Just another fancy DIGITAL set debate. Technical analysis where technical understanding is not required and actively discouraged, but emotions are encouraged. yawn.

----------------

On 8/2/2005 12:40:53 AM dragonfyr wrote:

----------------

On 8/2/2005 12:17:46 AM ben. wrote:

----------------

----------------

I'm kind of glad you don't!
3.gif"

Seriously though, there are complexities in these circuits that are less than well known. Thanks for illustrating s slice of that. It's worth further research should one be interested. The Teac in question (I always want to call it "The Little Teac") sounds pretty good, I think. That has been pretty well hashed out here. I'll soon be in a position to hear more pro amps than I really want to, but I'm sure I'll drag a few home for weekend visits here and there... ---------------------------------

Yep I am the fool and you are the wizard! Its a shame my
incorrect
information came directly from whitepapers on the technology. (oops!)

And Tripath refers to
both
class D and class T as 'digital' amplifiers! Whatever....

Why don't I care!?

Just another fancy DIGITAL set debate. Technical analysis where technical understanding is not required and actively discouraged, but emotions are encouraged. yawn.

----------------

When I write things prefaced by the phrase "Seriously though...", that means I'm being serious.

Never freaking mind.

If I misinterpreted the reply I am indeed sorry.

While I find the technology interesting, I do not find the all too often emotionally based 'feelings' debate to be worthwhile.

If it suits your needs and you like it, enjoy. If it does not, avoid it. Sort of like your favorite flavor of ice cream.

Im not even gonna pretend I know anything about this or any other amp, that is why I ask questions. To learn. Does Tripath refer to these things as digital amps because of the way they switch the transformers. now I'm assuming switch means on and off. Like a 1 and 0, hence digital.

"Instead of using PWM, Tripath Class-T amplifier processors use proprietary algorithms and

techniques to create the modulation that drives the switching transistors. A Class-T

amplifiers processors learn the characteristics of the output transistors. Then, based on the

analog input signal, they switch the output transistors with exactly the right timing to

eliminate Class-D PWM problems: transistors not being perfect switches, ground bounce,

output transistor mismatches, dead-time distortion and residual energy from the oscillator in

the audio band. The result is a high power efficiency, audiophile-quality audio amplifier a

Class-T amplifier."

???????

----------------

On 8/1/2005 9:50:27 PM DeanG wrote:

Only 45 watts, and the specs actually show the distortion rating at 1 watt as opposed to both channels driven at full output. I have a feeling this thing is a sleeper.

----------------

no, Dean ....

it's not a sleeper

the D-60 / 75 has been used for 25 years ...

...in studios for nearfield monitors

...as a horn amp, in bi / tri amp set ups ....

you guys are "discovering" the world of Pro-Sound , again ...

5.gif