Got the lascalas home.

dp1954

I drove up to Staunton, VA Saturday morning to pick up the lascalas I had purchased. About a 4 hour round trip and was very pleased with

the condition of them. One small scrape on one bass bin which can easily be repaired, otherwise very nice.

Got home sat afternoon about 2 Pm, but didnt get a chance to unload them until around 6. Pulled explorer up to front porch and called the wife to

give me a hand. Her response? Man those are big and look like someone made them in woodshop. Is this for real? Keep in mind I have cornwalls

and chorus Is so she had an idea beforehand that they would probably be some size to them and I had told her that the footprint was larger. First

pair Id ever seen in person and they were actually larger than Id thought.

Finally got the Chorus moved and the lascalas in place. Sat down with some of the CDs that I like to use as reference. The first CD was tracks

1,2,3, and 10 of Acoustic Alchemys radio contact. Great cd if anybody would like to check it out, kind of fusion jazz.

Let me regress for a second. I wasnt sure which amp I was going to use first on them but had a fully restored scott 222 that I wasnt currently using so I hooked it up first. Fired everything up, set the sound level and sat back to enjoy the new sound. First impression not enough bass since Im used to the corns. Adjusted the bass level a couple of clicks and sat back again. Better bass, but different. Wife walks by and says man those are ugly Not the best of waf at this point.

My initial impression was. very nice, smooth and a great midrange, cleaner

than the corns. After about 10 minutes of listening my ears began to adapt to the

difference in sound and I actually ended up backing the bass back to level. I listen

to stereo solely and to me the bass on them is now quite adequate. I dont think I will be using a sub with them.

Now to the part that I really thought was the best. Wife walks by again and says..

man those are ugly I said well Im ugly to but you seem to like me. Just give them a

chance. I go out to her car to get some of the cds she listens to, bought them back into

the house and told her. You pick out your favorite one, sit down and listen to just one track. If you dont like them youll never have to vacuum my music room again. So she picks out some cd thats all this soothing piano music, says it puts her at ease, and has a sit. Crap. it was 2 hours before I could get her out of my chair and get back to my stuff. Now waf aint so bad. She says they are by far the best shed ever heard.

No more complaints. And she does the vacuuming.

Final initial evaluation. The corns were my first love in speakers and will always

have a place in my home. They aint going nowhere, but these are good. Very good.

Better? Not yet sure but they are at least as good. This is ONLY MY OPINION as music is subjective and we each have our likes and dislikes. But for now I am a very happy camper and dont have ANY dislikes with them. They are cleaner than the corns but you give up some bass. But the corns arent exactly dirty. This is my last stop on speakers. Dont have a place for khorns. Over the next couple of

weeks I want to check them out on some other amps, my eico hf81, and fisher 500c, but they sound fantastic with the scott. Id like to thank you guys for leading me to this point. I don't post

often but have been a reader for years.

dp,

Good choice!

If you like pipe organ music, a really good sub correctly set up will make you think you have Khorns!

I use my sub with Khorns and sometimes I have to look to see if it is turned ON. But ye'ol pipe organ occasionally lets me know. I carefully set it up so as not to interfere with the classic Klipsch sound. The sub's crossover is set very low.

I have a REL sub and have used it with my LaScalas and was very happy with the sound. Most of the time a sub is useless because not too many sources have bass deep enough to need one. I often run my system (Khorn and LaScalas) without any help and they both are awesome!

Thanks Klewless.

I'm going to listen to them for awhile and then swap back

to the corns. Just to see the difference. I might end up

with a sub but right now these really sound good. I'll keep

your suggestion in mind. Never seemed to need one with the

corns and for what I've listened to so far I haven't wanted

a sub. They are some nice speakers.

Dave

Greetings,

Congrats on getting the La Scalas! As a recent La Scala convert myself, I agree with your initial impressions (those La Scala mids are really magical, aren't they?).

I've found that establishing a synergy with the amp is crucial. I tried a Sonic Impact amp (on my audition of the speakers), an Audio Note OTO SE amp, and a Scott 299B. Each amp interacted with different speakers differently. I thought the SI worked best with my kg4's, perhaps due to the matching 6-ohm impedance (an HK-730 also sounded great with those speakers). The Audio Note worked best with Lowther PM2A drivers in Mauhorn cabs. And the Scott is giving me the best sound with the La Scalas. Go figure...

I'll pass along some advice that was given to me when I made my initial post on getting the La Scalas: Wait awhile and get used to the speakers before getting any urge to do any tweaking.

And by all means ... ENJOY! 9.gif

Take care,

Scott

Thanks for the info.

quote from scotbuck/

"I've found that establishing a synergy with the amp is crucial. I tried a Sonic Impact amp (on my audition of the speakers), an Audio Note OTO SE amp, and a Scott 299B. Each amp interacted with different speakers differently. I thought the SI worked best with my kg4's, perhaps due to the matching 6-ohm impedance (an HK-730 also sounded great with those speakers). The Audio Note worked best with Lowther PM2A drivers in Mauhorn cabs. And the Scott is giving me the best sound with the La Scalas. Go figure..."/

I found with the corns that the eico hf81 sounded best

between the scott and a fisher 500c. But the scott was a

very close second. The el84 tubes just sound better to me.

I've got an uncle that ran the electronics dept at an

educational tv station in NC. He started back in the early

50's and in retirement is into old tube ham radio stuff. He

rebuilt the scott and the eico for me but hasn't touched

the fisher. When I purchased it it was supposed to have had

a fisher doc resto kit installed. It sounds really good with the chorus I's but I just seem to like the sound of the el84 tubes best. The 7591's in the fisher have more bass but the mid and upper range aren't as clean. Maybe I should see if he will rebuild it. Any ideas out there

about the difference in these 2 tubes?

Dave

----------------

On 8/3/2005 7:33:38 AM Duke Spinner wrote:

----------------

On 8/1/2005 8:07:47 PM dp1954 wrote:

This is my last stop on speakers.

----------------

oh, yea, sure, what ever you say ...

BWAAAAHAHAA... your infected with the Bug now ....
9.gif

----------------

BWAAAAHAHAA....Dave's had the bug for quite some time! I doubt he'll stop until he finds some corners.9.gif

----------------

On 8/4/2005 12:16:29 PM marcophile wrote:

btw...Don't forget to raise the front edges of the La Scalas about an inch or so above the floor. (LS are very directional) I use a strip of 1" plywood, the width of the speaker. Good luck!
----------------

Never heard that before. Easy enough to try. I'll have to give it go.

Congratulations on your LaScalas. I have a pair that I don't get to listen too nearly enough since they're in the basement playroom. My kids proudly play a lot of Hilary Duff, Raven and assorted Disney teen artists through them quite often. Tell your wife the history of PWK, Hope etc. and she'll like them even more. Outside of the awesome sound, they add charm and character where most other speakers are just... well, speakers.

----------------

On 8/4/2005 12:16:29 PM marcophile wrote:

btw...Don't forget to raise the front edges of the La Scalas about an inch or so above the floor. (LS are very directional) I use a strip of 1" plywood, the width of the speaker. Good luck!
----------------

Good point I agree

Thanks for all the replies guys. Like gary said I've had

the bug for awhile. Loved music since I was young. Checked

out all kinds and found the klipsch sound.. been a favorite

since. I hadn't thought about raising them off the floor

but really should have. Even tho they are almost as tall

as the corns I seem to want to sit a little lower in my

chair. maybe someday some khorns but this house just isn't

set up for them. My house was built in 1850 and I have

a boiler and radiators. I've got a radiator in one corner

of each decent pair of corners. Right now I set them up with

the corns on the outside about 18 ft center to center. The

las are in next to them with about 13 feet center to center.

I really like the corns and didn't want to move them until

I decided whether or not the las deserved that place of

honor. I am going to change them around this weekend. The

eico is on the corns and I'll swap it at the same time. And

I've decided that the las just might be a 'bit' better than

the corns. But they are both great speakers. I have never

heard a pair of khorns. would love the chance and find it

hard to believe that anything out there could be any better.

Dave

Forgot to mention. The room is 21 by 21 with 10ft ceilings.

Carpet with some furniture to sit on. the rest is my music

stuff. its my room and I have abunch of guitars hung on the

walls.... Finally have a place thats my own. some parts of

kids growing up ain't so bad.

Congrats!

Yeah, a piano sounds very real on La Scala's. Very cool.

I agree with others that a sub will do wonders. It opens up the soundstage quite a bit. Just don't overdial the sub, and cross over at 60 or 80 Hz. You might want to set the LS to large and the sub to LFE+R/L (bass sent to both).

I had mine for 20 years or so before I got KHorns. La Scala's and a sub come close to KHorns...