Co-worker wants Bose, what to do??

wuzzzer

An older co-worker of mine has been bitten by the Bose marketing bug. She has a mini-cube system at her home and is looking to buy one for her lake home. Is there any tactful way that I can talk her into another system?

Gotta appreciate the simplicity of the Bose design, though. She hates things that are technical and in fact I had to help her copy a song from a CD onto cassette.

Are there any systems out there that give the simplicity of Bose without the arm and a leg cost?

Thanks!

Some of the better preamps out there have just a few knobs. On-Off, Source and Volume. That should be simple enough for that piece, but most of them are pricey. Perhaps something from PlaySchool, those are simple enough.3.gif

In order to get soemthing that sounds good there is almost no way to get away from large(er) cabinets for the speakers. Perhaps some RB-35's with an Adcom GTP-602 and a GFA-5300 amp.

Granted it's only two channel but set up correctly she won't need multi-channel. Even if it were set up incorrectly it'll still blow the Bose away.1.gif

Let me just say for the record that I am NOT a Bose fan, but these continuing posts prompt a response some may not like hearing...

If the person is open to listening to other systems, fine, introduce them to an alternative.

But if they are happy (even if it is in their 'ignorance'), respect their ability to do as they desire! Even if you believe it is not as good as it might be.

And if this sounds iconoclastic to the rabid legions of obnoxious folks who would force them to change, simply switch the words Bose with your brand of religion! And listen to the SAME write-up from the point of view of a religious zealot trying to coerce others to their religion! Would you want YOU in your house!?

This also reminds me of the teenage Mac zealots (over the years) who run about telling all the PC users that they are idiots and that PCs suck. Maybe they do, but if they persist in enjoying the masochistic pleasure that a Windows PC provides, and it does the job for them (or at least they think it does!), respect their delusion! Even I get sick of these Mac wackos, and I love Macs!

If someone asks your impression or opinion, please volunteer it, but if they are happy, as apparently this person is....why do YOU have such a problem with their business!???

I suspect that, after you've gotten to the bottom of it all, you'll find that she wants simple a lot more than she wants good sound. If that's what you find, respect her point of view, or, if you (understandably) can't respect it, at least tolerate it if you value her friendship.

----------------

On 8/4/2005 10:42:38 PM wuzzzer wrote:

An older co-worker of mine ........ hates things that are technical

----------------

Proof that Blose Marketing works ....!!!

she probably fits thier " demographic profile " .. to a T

how about a Nakamichi compact system ......9.gif

Well, at least they are cheaper .....2.gif

well you could always drag her out and shoot her... 2.gif

but seriously, invite her to a trip to the local audio store where you can demo all sorts of systems for her...perhaps she'll move her current bose system to the new cabin and then you can hook her up with a sweet deal at home.

Proof that Blose Marketing works ....!!!

she probably fits their " demographic profile " .. to a T

------------------------------------------------

And I guess that that means that your superior products' marketing DOES NOT! So?..........

I get a kick out of everyone complaining that the Bose marketing program works!

OK!

What amazes me is that so many like to complain about the Bose marketing campaigns, but they do NOTHING about their favored products' campaigns that evidently are deficient and do not equal or offset the Bose marketing campaigns! Is there a reason that the better product cannot have a more effective campaign? Is it Bose's fault that it is not?

If Bose is so deficient (and to me they obviously are!), it speaks volumes about the lack of an adequate and effective campaign from those manufacturers who obviously have a better product!

And to quote Tolstoy, "Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."

Maybe its time to quit this obsession worrying about Bose and do a better job then they do! It should be easy if the product you like is indeed better! And it's certainly not Bose's fault for your products' marketing to be less effective! Maybe folks should assume a little more responsibility for their OWN efforts!

Just another variant in the all to rampant victim mentality.....

You don't specify is she wants it for movies, music whatever, but how about suggesting the Quintet II or one of the Promedia setups. I take my promedia's with me when I go to my brother-in-laws lakehouse and they sure do fill up a room. All you need for them is a portable cd player if you're not using them for HT.

As to how to approach her, I would simply let her know that you're into music, and have some knowledge in that area and she may want to consider some alternatives that are cheaper, yet deliver quality sound. If so you are available to lend a hand.

Gotta disagree with you slightly here Dragon. If she is seeking advice or is about to make a mistake money-wise, I feel there is no harm in offering some friendly advice. When ever I'm about to drop some bucks I ask around, consult Consumer Reports etc., it's a smarter way to shop than just listening to advertisisng hype no matter where it is coming from.

----------------

On 8/5/2005 4:56:10 PM thebes wrote:

...When ever I'm about to drop some bucks I ask around, consult Consumer Reports etc., it's a smarter way to shop than just listening to advertising hype no matter where it is coming from.

From the original post:

An older co-worker of mine has been bitten by the Bose marketing bug.

She has a mini-cube system at her home and is looking to buy one for her lake home.

----------------

I think the subtle distinction we are missing is important.

The original post indicated the woman
already
has a set and is
satisfied
enough with them that she is looking to get another! Maybe I am missing something, but when one has something and proposes to get another
without
shopping for options, it
usually
indicates satisfaction with the original item!!

There is
NO
indication, except in the mind of the original poster, that marketing hype has anything to do with this! She has them!!!!!!! And she is satisfied, and she is NOT soliciting alternative opinions!

Now, if she
was
asking or soliciting for ideas regarding such a product, I would of course think that it is prudent to provide your information!

But she is not! Thus far, to repeat the original scenario, she is going to get
another
pair because she is
satisfied
with the pair that she has!
Not
because of a marketing brochure!

So we have two completely different scenarios.

Thebes, if the situation were as you assume, we would be in complete agreement! In my opinion, it would be prudent to offer an opinion in the hopes of helping them with additional information.

But we do
not
have this here!
2.gif9.gif9.gif

I just got back from 10 days at a lake cottage. Considering the peacefulness of the place, perhaps the thin sound of the Bose system would be right at home. And space is definitely lacking in cottages. Why not Bose? I can't imagine having a set of Heresies blaring away, chasing the wildlife away. Background muzak is probably all she would listen to at the cottage anyway.

Leave her be. Gotta agree with the Dragon again here (and to think I didn't like him and his blue scribbles at first!). We can't have everyone in our camp.

Michael