HT scaled down

ahhbee78

ive been in the process of building a small but solid HT system for about two years... its not very easy when you're paying your way through college, but its time to expand my system again.

right now, ive got KSB 3.1's for my fronts, KSF-S5's(?)for surrounds and a Denon 1601 receiver. I have just a normal CD changer, DVD player, and VCR all from sony. i have been running everything off of a stereo HK thats about 16 years old, but with the Denon, its time to plan for a sub and center channel.

first line of questions: is the opening level center channel suitable for my setup? is it worth the cost to upgrade to the next speaker? if so, what do i gain?

second line of questions: will the 10" sub pack a good punch for this system? i can really notice my 3.1's drop out and want to remedy that, but cannot just go out and get an ear-shattering sub or super big speakers.

also, will my denon provide enough power to run all of this equipment once i get my system fully assembled? i am guessing i could use the HK for extra power down the line, but will i have to do this?

thank you in advance...

first line of questions: is the opening level center channel suitable for my setup? is it worth the cost to upgrade to the

next speaker? if so, what do i gain?

I'm totally lost with your question here?

second line of questions: will the 10" sub pack a good punch for this system? i can really notice my 3.1's drop out and

Yea, you will likely notice an improvement

also, will my denon provide enough power to run all of this equipment once i get my system fully assembled?

Yes, it will. I have the same one, with much bigger speakers. It works great for HT.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

ab78, with your 3.1's you could use the matching KSC-C1

center and the S-1 surrounds.The surrounds you have,KSF-S5,should be much better speakers than the S-1's just as the KSF-C5 center is a much better center speaker than the C-1.I personally wouldn't buy a KSW sub for your budget system,but rather an SW series II sub.Even the SW8II for the meager cost would be my preference for a sub,or spend more for a better sub.

So my opinion considering what you now have and what you want to accomplish on a limited budget would be the KSC-C1 center and a previously owned Klipsch SW12II,SW10II,or SW8II sub(or a pair of SW8II's).Later you could upgrade all the speakers and your electronics.Should be a neat system.Good luck.

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

I wouldn't try to out-do the mains and surrounds but DO get the best center channel you can afford. It handles upwards of 60% of the entire movies sounds, no crappy speaker should be implemented for this task. I don't have a Klipsch center but I did get the top of the line for the center I use. Never regretted that decision.

------------------

Why do you like playing around with my little scope of reality?

I can feel it all start slipping away.....

See but I don't get it, don't you think maybe we can put it on credit?

I get stupified. It's all the same...

ahhbee78,

If you're interested in an SW8II Sub, below is a link to one on Yahoo Classifieds. The seller indicates a willingness to negotiate their asking price. The seller is in Utah and the listing date is 31 Aug 01. Not sure what a reasonable price for one in good working order should be. Perhaps others could provide some input on prices.

Wes

http://classi fieds.yahoo.com/display/merchandise?ct_hft=detailnp&intl=&cc=merchandise&cr=&cids=merchandise-0978381684-165683&rpre=0&position0.x=17&position0.y=11

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-20-2001 at 05:50 AM

ahhbee78,you should be able to find an SW8II for less than $150.Probably less than that.The SW8II's are a little easier to find than the larger subs and should cost less.You should be able to buy two SW8's for less than the cost of one KSW10,if you look around.I bought an SW8II earlier in the year from my local dealer for less than $200.While it will not shake the walls it will provide the bass that your fronts can't.If you're not happy with one just look around and get another and wire speaker level to front left and right mains.

Good luck!

Keith