• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 8/9/2005 8:15:25 AM Speedball wrote:

Duke,

I'd love to hear a K2 & tube Preamp with my RF7's.
3.gif

----------------

yea, my Quicksilver is all tube, all 11 of 'em

tube pre - ss amp .. the only way to fly

and, Yes ... the K-2 is an Astounding amp for those that don't have a S/S hang up

talk about " Thump Factor ".....9.gif

never gets even warm, and never breaths hard no matter what...10.gif

----------------

On 8/9/2005 3:15:39 PM ben. wrote:

never gets even warm, and never breaths hard no matter what...
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/10.gif">

----------------

Sounds like my drummer's ex-wife....

----------------

what's her number ...???

i'm used to that treatment14.gif

----------------

On 8/9/2005 2:59:10 PM ben. wrote:

Uh oh. Someone said the D word...

----------------

Yeah...

Each one have their sequence of words that will kickstart them.

Usually, the "D" word associated with any power rating claim whatsoever will get me going and going. But a ceiling fan to install and hunting the dinner for the milkmachine will refrain me to pursue my usual habit.

----------------

On 8/9/2005 3:50:59 PM sunnysal wrote:

jeff, where can one find these Western Electric 91A clones? are there schematics on the internet? thanks, tony

----------------

A french clone can be found here.

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/fr/audio/300b_1.htm

But I'm not a big fan of the WE310A (or WE310B). First, they hum like a bastard, second, they cost a lot only because they bear the Western Electric logo. An elecric equivalent, quieter and so much cheaper is the 6SJ7GT form Phillips.

A 6SJ7 version can be found here:

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/fr/audio/300b_6.htm

The Model 91 is always the 300B SET I recommend for the first time builder. Usually it will prevent the aspiring DIYer to reach the "downward spiral to hell" since he'll be so happy, he usually won't try any other circuit.

----------------

On 8/9/2005 6:56:18 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Congradulations Edwin, you hit ONE WATT on the peaks!!!!!

No matter the topology, the warmth of SET that some would call distortion, or the drive of SS, which others would call harsh, If YOU enjoy it, it's good. I am fortunate enough to have most of the bases covered.

Rick

----------------

Hey, Rick. I can see where you're coming from. In fact I like where you're coming from. These are the issues that have 'bothered' me about low powered SET designs. Why do these amplifiers sound like they do? Some sound horrible, but others, perhaps better designed, sound pretty good. I'm not talking about absolute loudness here, though. Just pleasent music. This all comes back to that window into the soul of music that some SET amplifiers offer. They may not do the frequency extremes so well, but, as you say, who cares?

It's just that some are talking about chest pounding dynamics from a low powered SET. Even with a Klipschorn, I find this difficult to digest.

My ideal would be to own a great PP design like the VRD's with a Peach front end, and just maybe, if finances are favourable, a SET amplifier (monoblocs?) - this may be a project/kit. Just for fun.

I might even listen to a little Jazz from time to time on the SET amplifiers.

When I want to hear music with the dynamics and spl levels that my ears crave, I'll give the VRD's a wakeup call. 1.gif

----------------

On 8/9/2005 3:50:59 PM sunnysal wrote:

jeff, where can one find these Western Electric 91A clones? are there schematics on the internet? thanks, tony

----------------

The MagneQuest/Peerless TFA-204 iron, originally designed by Peerless as a replacement for the famous Western Electric A171A transformer used in the WE91 300B amp, is also used in the Wright Sound 3.5 as well as Bottlehead gear.

----------------

The MagneQuest/Peerless TFA-204 iron, originally designed by Peerless as a replacement for the famous Western Electric A171A transformer used in the WE91 300B amp, is also used in the Wright Sound 3.5 as well as Bottlehead gear.

----------------

Definitively.

This OPT has a really nice midrange. It lacks a bit in the low frequency realm since WE wanted to avoid bass rumble in their Mirrophonic sound system.

I personally prefer the DS-025 to the TFA-204 for an air gapped transformer. But the parallel feed version of the TFA-204, the TFA 2004, is by far my favorite OPT for a 300B or a 2A3 (for now).

I wouldn't use a TFA-204 for a 300B, unless the air gap was adjusted to 80 mA. And still, this adjustment would decrease the inductance, reducing further the bass response.

As I said, WE 91 clones can be built with much better transformers now, be it from MagneQuest (we all know these are the best... according to me), Plitron (outstanding OPT... according to me too but so freakin' big), Tango (outsanding OPT according to the Japanese), Partridge (outstanding OPT according to the Brits), Luxman OY serie (outstanding OPT according to everyone who ever tried them but good luck getting these).

Expected that was going to be a nice segue for the DS-025, it does have better bandwidth extension, I seem to be more of a tone freak pairing the lowly TFA-204 with 1930s RCA monoplates.

Not an entirely bad thread really. Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.