There is NO 20 watt per channel minimum for Klipsch speakers

jazman

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:37:10 PM spaaaz wrote:

I kinda thought that the good Dr. was going to take some heat for the jazz comment
9.gif

----------------

*yawn*

oops, sorry...saw jazz in another sentence 10.gif2.gif

but seriously, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am yet to hear jazz that I enjoy...I just knew it would rial up the SET crowd cuz they're the only ones using these amps 2.gif

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:46:46 PM DrWho wrote:

----------------

I kinda thought that the good Dr. was going to take some heat for the jazz comment
9.gif

----------------

*yawn*

oops, sorry...saw jazz in another sentence
10.gif2.gif

but seriously, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am yet to hear jazz that I enjoy...

----------------

Yes, your ARE free to be an ignorant philistine, that's TRUE! 2.gif

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:30:31 PM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:25:20 PM DrWho wrote:

I suppose there are those who listen to simple boring music like jazz where HUGE peaks of 100dB are the norm and in which case they can go enjoy their puny 2 watt amps
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif">

----------------

This might well be the stupidest comment ever made on this forum! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

----------------

I agree. Dr Who is just runnin' his mouth on that comment...

Like SETI said, this ain't the place to rap about triode amps anymore. Too much bias....

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:46:03 PM Allan Songer wrote:

If they can't bother to understand and appreciate Joe Henderson...

----------------

Who is Joe Henderson?

Recommend an album and I will give it a shot. Perhaps its the kind of music you don't want to turn up loud? Myself, I like to listen loud regardless of whether it is Kenny G, Ella Fitzgerald, Sam Cooke,Ray Charles, Pink Floyd or Black Sabbath. Just the way I am.

Edit: Further, if anyone is near me and would like to let me listen to their set amps, I would be glad to do some comparisons - 'cause I am open-minded. Listen to your stuff, listen to my stuff.

I don't know, Mike, are those amps taken seriously by anyone except the couple dozen people in the SET group at Audio Asylum? I think the Klipsch Forum is a great place to discuss SET, considering you have to use high efficiency speakers to have any hope at all with low-powered amplification.

Maybe you're looking for someone to simply accept anything claimed without challenging it? If that's the case, you should visit the I Want To Feel Good About Myself forum.

Anarchist: Henderson was a sax player from Ohio, died a few years ago. Kind of a light-hearted cocktail-crowd pleaser. You can hear samples of his recordings on amazon.com and you'll get an idea of whether you'd like his stuff or not.

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:39:58 PM Anarchist wrote:

Whoa, Nelly. I hadn't realized I stepped into another one of these SET $hitstorms so I didn't need to have my equipment insulted. I merely posted the information from MY documentation and MY experience. I don't give a rat's butt whether you like SET, PP, or Steady State. Go for it but there is no need to insult MY equipment, MY opinions, or MY subjective ratings. Which, speaking of subjectiveness, chest pounding to me would be the feel of a sledgehammer hitting one's sternum. Is that your same criteria of chestpounding? If not, perhaps my equipment is better than you thought.

----------------

This post was not meant as a SET storm of any kind. It is merely an attempt to correct the distortions of information constantly put forth is this forum. IF you feel your equipment was insulted, maybe some other descriptive woud be better employed. It seems "how loud" is a definitve for musical quality to many of you. It still does not alter the topic of this post.

The statements I have put forth are correct, whether you or others like it or not is not my problem.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:29:46 PM DrWho wrote:

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:10:41 PM jazman wrote:

I can produce chest pounding bass with my 3.5 wpc 2A3 SET monoblocks, so thats not saying to much about your 50 watt amp.

----------------

Not to be a prick, but could you measure the SPL in your room that you refer to as chest pounding? Chest pounding for me is on the order of 130dB+ (wearing ear protection of course), but I would be curious as to what others consider chest pounding. I know I could never get 130dB with but 3 watts...
2.gif

----------------

One absoloute is; Everything is subjective. Warm/Mushy....Clean/Sterile.....ChestPounding/WifeComplains....Etc./Windy

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:49:33 PM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:46:46 PM DrWho wrote:

----------------

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

----------------

*yawn*

oops, sorry...saw jazz in another sentence
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/10.gif">
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">

but seriously, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am yet to hear jazz that I enjoy...
----------------
Yes, your ARE free to be an ignorant philistine, that's TRUE!
2.gif

----------------

aye, but it's not ignorant because I have been exposed to a great deal of jazz...heck, I have even performed a lot of jazz music (piano and on my viola in an orchestra). I just don't like it.

How many of you jazz folk listen louder than 100dB? The ONLY way someone could be satisfied with low power amps is to listen at quiet levels (which is something I picture the stereotypical old fart doing anyway...kind like my grandpa). Jazz is the only music besides euphoric new age stuff that anyone would want to listen to at those levels. But there's nothing wrong with listening at those levels nor is there anything wrong with scraping by with the least amount of wattage to obtain those quiet levels either.

However, it is wrong to claim that nobody ever needs more watts than you use and it is wrong to disregard other styles of music as not being music altogether.

Dr. Who,

More good points. A lot of jazz is meant to be heard at low levels because that is how it is played, as background filler music at a club. You're supposed to be able to carry on a conversation while the jazz is playing. It's meant just to cover up kitchen noises and the air-conditioning unit and so on.

This doesn't apply if you go to an actual concert with tickets purchased in advance and everybody seated facing the stage. Then you're there specifically for the music and not just ambience.

----------------

On 8/8/2005 3:14:23 PM Colin wrote:

Dr, what does music in the 90-100dB range that can have transients as much as 20-30dB louder than the RMS level mean?
10.gif

----------------

It means if I bust out my rat shack meter and put it on slow, my meter is reading on average somewhere between 90 and 100 decibels. If I put it on fast and account for meter lag, there are short peaks in the music that are coming close to 120dB (which is 20dB louder than the average...RMS essentially means average level...probably an incorrectly used term borrowed from the term often used when measuring amplifier output)

----------------

On 8/8/2005 3:04:01 PM DrWho wrote:

aye, but it's not ignorant because I have been exposed to a great deal of jazz...heck, I have even performed a lot of jazz music (piano and on my viola in an orchestra). I just don't like it.

How many of you jazz folk listen louder than 100dB? The ONLY way someone could be satisfied with low power amps is to listen at quiet levels (which is something I picture the stereotypical old fart doing anyway...kind like my grandpa). Jazz is the only music besides euphoric new age stuff that anyone would want to listen to at those levels. But there's nothing wrong with listening at those levels nor is there anything wrong with scraping by with the least amount of wattage to obtain those quiet levels either.

However, it is wrong to claim that nobody ever needs more watts than you use and it is wrong to disregard other styles of music as not being music altogether.

----------------

It is evident Dr. Who that you may have executed some notes, but YOU have not performed any Jazz music. Re-read the topic of this post. You are a lost and clueless soul. I will repeat for you, "There is NO 20 watt per channel minimum for Klipsch speakers". The truth shall set you free!

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:59:25 PM Parrot wrote:

I don't know, Mike, are those amps taken seriously by anyone except the couple dozen people in the SET group at Audio Asylum? I think the Klipsch Forum is a great place to discuss SET, considering you have to use high efficiency speakers to have any hope at all with low-powered amplification.

Maybe you're looking for someone to simply accept anything claimed without challenging it? If that's the case, you should visit the I Want To Feel Good About Myself forum.

Anarchist: Henderson was a sax player from Ohio, died a few years ago. Kind of a light-hearted cocktail-crowd pleaser. You can hear samples of his recordings on amazon.com and you'll get an idea of whether you'd like his stuff or not.

----------------

I've got a better idea Parrot. - Why don't you just stay out of any SET threads.

As soon as Amy wakes up and realizes that Parrot is the common element in every contentious thread, she'll ban him and this will be a better forum.

----------------

On 8/8/2005 3:17:47 PM jazman wrote:

It is evident Dr. Who that you may have executed some notes, but YOU have not performed any Jazz music. Re-read the topic of this post. You are a lost and clueless soul. I will repeat for you, "There is NO 20 watt per channel minimum for Klipsch speakers". The truth shall set you free!

----------------

gosh I'm usually not like this, but I couldn't resist...

when were you planning on having my biography finished? 2.gif

From my 1976 Mint Klipsch loudspeaker document (very good quality):

...this makes it imperative that equipment of the highest quality be used. Freedom from distortion and actual power output (undistorted) at 30Hz is more important than published power rating. We have heard superior sound from both tube and transistor-type equipment. The manufacturer's design, skill, and integrity contribute more to amplifier quality than the particular types of components used in construction.

...available acoustic power (with Khorns) from qualified 10 watt amplifier is over 3 watts.

Aside from those statements, there are no other references to power requirements in this document or the one I have from 1975 (also mint).

The instruction manual (produced after the introduction of the KG4) does recommend a minimum 20 watts.

Can we all get along now and put the topology and power requirements to rest?

----------------

On 8/8/2005 3:21:44 PM mike stehr wrote:

"As soon as Amy wakes up and realizes that Parrot is the common element in every contentious thread, she'll ban him and this will be a better forum."

Gee, that would be the day.....

----------------

you guys really need to meet parrot in person and then you'll get a whole new perspective on his comments. He use to annoy me, but after meeting him I find all his posts hilarious (which is what he always intends). It's just that soooo many people get so uptight and take everything personally.

Heck, all my posts are sarcastic too and I'm having a good ol' time on the forum. I don't see what differening opinions have to be taken so offensively though...