New Guy, Heresy tweeks

Bonzo

----------------

On 8/9/2005 5:14:37 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I never heard a sub that worked with
music

----------------

Hi, Alan. Many people with subs tend to have them turned up too loud. They become overpowering and muddy the music. With my subs, I increase the loudness until I can just hear their contribution to the music, then back them off just a tad. Used this way with music, my subs have opened up the midrange and have added just the right amount of low end reinforcement.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Parrot---No doubt, I once praised Heresys. But as time went on their vices (poor tonal balance and flamethrower midrange directivity) outweighed their virtues (excellent clarity and good dynamics given the size) and eventually I replaced them with something else.

My preference, others think differently, obviously.

The Heresys are 3dB hotter in the tweeter because they are meant to be placed on the floor in corners. All the big Klipsch have their tweeters naturally at a higher altitude. The extra boost in the H's is to make up for that - if you put them on stads so the tweets are up like the big Klipsch, they are too hot. Tubes will help, corner floor will help, vinyl will help, I've never used a sub but folks here say that helps, too.

The Hersey is the best value on the market - if you can make them work right you will be happy.

Have you tried placing them in the floor corners UPSIDEDOWN?

Paul

I will certainly invest in some angled risers! I am also going to have Bob Crites over-haul the crossovers. In the meantime, I will drag out my JBL L-36's. Yes I have a piar if JBL's. My late uncle gave them to me years ago so I have to keep them! Not a bad speaker for what they are.

I don't have time to play the tube game right now. My guitar amp is a 1974 SUNN model T. It is the only tube amp I have ever used that is nearly bullet proof! Still screams with the best of them! Makes my Showman Cab with the two JBL D130's sing! Bring on the Bassman's and Marshall"s. It doesn't go to 11 though.

Nobody played syncopated rhythms like Bonzo. I hear that his son has tried to carry the torch. Maybe. Bonham's inspirations are hard to place. Maybe he is an original. I've never gone ga-ga over a rock star. But, when it came to drum majestry, Bonham ruled the stage. Others played around him with their own prowess. But that signature beat that seemed as natural as breathing to Bonzo, I think, put LZ in the supergroup rating. JPJ was a studio bass player. Plant was a great singer in his own right. And Page is due his respect. But if you ain't got a great drummer, the group can sound like any other garage band. LZ was not the same after his demise. They took on an almost feigned surreal overtone. Who can tell me the name of the replacment drummer? I rest my case. LZ was a great blues/rock band. Perhaps the greatest.

Was Bonzo really a pig farmer?

Hi Bonzo , I am a long time Heresy owner , and may be of some help . What size room are they in ? How far are they apart ? How far from your listening position are they ? They are not going to replace what you had , but with a little work , I think you'll be happy with them . 10.gif

----------------

On 8/9/2005 9:04:48 PM TBrennan wrote:

Parrot---No doubt, I once praised Heresys... But as time went on their vices (poor tonal balance and flamethrower midrange directivity) outweighed their virtues...

----------------

Tom. Are you talking about the Heresy 2's or the originals?

Maybe a trick question on Bonham's, HAH, replacement. I think Plant and Page were going to do something with Yes drummer, Alan White and bassist Chris Squire but I don't think that got off the ground. I think Phil Collins played with them on some type of reunion tour? Just like the Who without Keith Moon, it aint' the same!

My room is 20'x 18' with vaulted ceiling. They are about 5' apart and the listening position is 10' away. This is about the only place I can put them at this time. I want an alive sound that has little coloration. I don't need the bass to pound my chest but I want it accurate. I want Mick Jagger to sound like Sir Michael Phillip Jagger! When David Gilmore bends the strings, I want to hear the higher octave correctly! When Bonham kicks that 22" drum, it needs to sound like a 22" drum! I think accuracy is the key and there is not a more accurate speaker than a Klipsch! Sorry to preach to the choir! It is just which Klipsch? I may get away with something as large as a Forte' but even that is pushing it. I really want to like the Heresy's as my wife actually likes their look and they are a Heritage. I am determined to tweek as much as needed to make them work! Thanks for putting up with my ramble!!! As a newbie, I really appreciate all the input!