Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory

tpg

I have heard a lot about Dream Theater and its members so I decided to pick up this CD. It is, umm, a tad strange; totally not what I had been expecting. I have always heard how blindingly fast Petrucci is on the guitar, and we barely get any of this in this CD. I am not really dissapointed, but it is not what I expected. Should I have gotten a different CD of theirs to start with instead (though it is a bit late now)? I am just wondering what others have to say about this CD and their other works...

I'll 2nd Images and Words, but Train Of Thought is my fav, due to the heavier sound and more rockin' songs, at least to my ears. That's the disc that introduced me to the band, and I also have the Metroplis 2000 & Budokan DVD'S, which show lots of geetar shredding, which I also enjoy.

I'm a bargain bin/rummager/piker, so I find lots of tuneage to add to my obsession.

NP - MASTODON - Leviathon

----------------

On 8/10/2005 4:17:07 PM tpg wrote:

It is, umm, a tad strange; totally not what I had been expecting.

----------------

There has been talk of Dream Theatre for quite some time... and i recall being surprised (disappointed) by their sound the first time I heard an album. I simply imagined them differently based on descriptions...

I guess part of it depends on what you were expecting.

----------------

On 8/10/2005 9:07:29 PM Alex Harvey wrote:

I'll 2nd Images and Words, but Train Of Thought is my fav, due to the heavier sound and more rockin' songs, at least to my ears. That's the disc that introduced me to the band, and I also have the Metroplis 2000 & Budokan DVD'S, which show lots of geetar shredding, which I also enjoy.

I'm a bargain bin/rummager/piker, so I find lots of tuneage to add to my obsession.

NP - MASTODON - Leviathon

----------------

I'll second Train of Thought, it's awesome. I was going to recommend that but I thought he should hear Images and Words first. Then on to the rest of the good stuff.

Yes... I think I should have gotten Images and Words first. I was about to buy it, but saw Scenes from a Memory and thought I'd take it instead (I had only heard the horrible quality sound clips from the Best Buy website). It is good, but just not what I was expecting. I'll have to put Images and Words on the list of things to get...

"Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" is good, and their latest album, "Octavarium" is outstanding. However, I think Scenes From A Memory is awesome too. Maybe you're just not a powermetal fan, since Scenes From A Memory is a pretty good showcase of Dream Theater's sound.

----------------

On 8/11/2005 5:24:36 PM nicholtl wrote:

"Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" is good, and their latest album, "Octavarium" is outstanding. However, I think Scenes From A Memory is awesome too. Maybe you're just not a powermetal fan, since Scenes From A Memory is a pretty good showcase of Dream Theater's sound.

----------------

Scenes is a good showcase of thier sound but I don't think it really shows what they are capable of like some of the other discs mentioned.

Octavarium is one that I am spinning right now. Falling Into Infinity is a fairly good representation of some prog. They have a dvd of Images and Words from Tokyo along with another live performance. Portnoy has another band called Liquid Tension Experiment that has Tony Levin on bass. They only made 2 albums but are worth a listen. Of course my laser disc of Exit Stage Left of Rush is still the fave here.

Even though they have a heavier sound, "Octavarium" and "Train of Thought" are a tad more commercial and better produced. The band just sounds better, and the songs are consistently great.

Their earlier stuff including "Images and Words" and "Awake" is overdone. The drumming, keyboards, and guitar all compete with each other. Its all breathtakingly fast and impressive, but too much after a few listens. Jame LaBrie's singing is over the top, too. Of course, this is all my opinion!

They have really gelled as a band the last several years--now they are one of my favorites--Petrucci is a god--I'd start with their latest two and work backward-

Guys,

Liquid Tension Experiment is three members from Dream Theater and Tony Levin on Bass. Those two albums are awesome.

If you have not seen them live, you should see them. It will blow you away what they can do live.

A bunch of talented musicians.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what there best DVD title is? I see two listed:

Dream Theater: Metropolis 2000 - Scenes from New York (2001)

Dream Theater: Live at Budokan (2004)

I'm not familiar with the group at all and I wanted to buy one of their concert DVDs just to give it a chance.

Can anyone tell me what there best DVD title is? I see two listed:

Dream Theater: Metropolis 2000 - Scenes from New York (2001)

Dream Theater: Live at Budokan (2004)

I'm not familiar with the group at all and I wanted to buy one of their concert DVDs just to give it a chance.

Live at Budokan is IMHO OUTSTANDING as is the cd of the same name. It's blistering.

Scenes from a Memory is a very good cd but..IMAGES AND WORDS BABY!!!! That being said, Porcupine Tree shames Dream Theater, again, IMHO.

Try:

Transatlantic

The Tangent

Kaipa

IQ

The Flower Kings

BlackField

Neal Morse

Pain of Salvation (if you like Dream Theater, these guys are it)

Have fun[:S]

Ron

Ron,

Do you have a website for the band "IQ"? I heard a song the other day on XM's Music Lab and the song was awesome. I have not been able to find an info about the band.

Thanks,

LHTF

I live here www.progarchives.com IQ is listed there, as are many others. There may be a link to their official site.

Dark Matter is IMHO the best.

Take care

Ron

Guest Webmaster

For me, Scenes from a Memory is their absolute best album. When I

first heard it, there were parts that I liked, but overall, I just

thought it was ok. It took maybe a year, but the more I listened

to it, the more I liked it and now I think it's a flawless album.

I'm glad it went that way though. My all-time favorite albums are

ones that I didn't initially like but took time for me to finally

appreciate them. They are the albums I never get burned out on

and are the ones that are almost always in regular rotation for me.

Anyway, the only Dream Theater album I would say to avoid is Falling

Into Infinity. Even they aren't happy with it. Also, I

still don't care too much for the first half of Train of Thought

because it's too Numetal influenced. The album that is

surprisingly good is their first album, When Day and Dream Unite, which

was before James Labrie was in the band. It's a little more

powermetalish compared to all of their other stuff.