Article; CD in the Microwave

WMcD

The pdf file in the next frame is in stead of the occasional weekend technical article I post.

I admittedly stole the idea from a TV program.

The experiment is to determine the effect of intense radio frequency fields on a CD-ROM. In this case it was an AOL disk from the junk mail.

It was placed on a tea cup (Desert Rose pattern if you must know) in a 1 kW microwave oven (Kitchenaid). The microwave oven was set to full power. The effect was recorded with a Mavica camera in video mode.

The microwave oven was undamaged, the teacup had a bit of plastic residue in the bottom. The CD ROM was rendered unplayable.

This experiment should be taken to the next level. Unfortunately, my microwave does not have a turntable. Certainly three CDs on a rotating turntable would be impressive. Do not attempt this at home! It is potentially dangerous.

You will need Acrobat 6 to view this. You needed the free upgrade anyway. Click on the video in the lower right corner. There is audio, too.

Best,

Gil

since the metal reflects a bunch of microwaves it could both damage the oven and potentially leak out into the surrounding area. home microwave ovens are not designed for this type of usage, I niether recommend trying this at home nor using the microwvae at home after this type of treatment. fun to watch someone else doing it though! tony

I saw this sort of thing on Mythbusters on The Discovery Channel. So the world has it from that source.

BTW it was part of their investigation on whether eel skin wallets demangnitize the mag stripe on credit cards. A sub issue was whether the wallets have any imbedded metal. The CD showed what a microwave does to metal. A wallet was untouched. Hence no metal.

Another program on The Mythbusters annoyed the heck out of me. They addressed the purported myth that people die from urinating on the third-rail.

After some experimentation with dummies (non living) they reached the conclusion this prank is not letal, and by implication, safe.

I've seen stories and law suits very much to the contrary. Even if there is some doubt, it is far to risky to fool with.

So that is what bugs the heck out of me. Some bunch of idiots are going to get drunk and then recreate what they saw on TV. I fear the worst.

Gil