Push came to shove: FS Blueberry, AL-P700

TheEvan

My wife's comfort (see previous thread on her hearing disorder) has won out and I'm going to return to the very quiet Lux integrated. I'll especially miss the glories of the BB's wonderful phono section. Man. I'm just lucky to keep my KHorns.

-Blueberry, current incarnation. Less than 20 hrs. $1000

-Teac AL-P700 $60

-Kennedy EL34 amp, 20wpc., $400

email me at enpyle@cox.net

----------------

On 8/13/2005 7:16:36 AM cjgeraci wrote:

His Luxman L-309, probably circa 1972 (or so). A nice vintage integrated unit.

Carl.

----------------

Ah, I didn't know what that one was, thanks. The integrated I've heard on K-horns was dead quiet, I suppose the advantage of putting the preamp and amp circuitry all together which somehow keeps hiss from the preamp part from being amplified by the amp part. I suspect that a very low-gain amplifier would do the trick with the BB, but don't know of one to suggest.

Congrats. I would give the Teac some decent break-in time and then decide if/what mods you want to do to it. BTW, Mark Maple apparently brought his battery-powered Teac with him to the Indy gathering, those mods performed by Red Wine Audio. I seem to recall that that mod is about $450 or so. I was not able to attend the gathering this year. 8.gif However, from the various postings and conversations I have had with people, many were impressed with the sound of the battery mod from Red Wine Audio. You may want to do some searchs in here because some have favorably commented on Maple's unit, including Dean.

As for the sound, I think a $60 Teach sounds like a $500-$1000 amp. Some have said that the Red Wine mod sounds like a $2000 amp. If dollars means anything......

Carl.

Sorry about selling your gear! I have a 2004 Luxman int amp that sounds great and I've had other Luxman stuff so it may not be the Blueberry but it's still some of the best Solid state stuff you can get. Hope everything works out.

Xman

Thanks xman.

I love the Lux, but it pales next to the BB. still, it'll be okay for me, and great for my wife. I confess i play much more than listen anyway (classical guitar). I've noticed that when I play, the sound seems so real 2.gif

The one SS I had in my system that really sounded special was an NEC integrated. A big heavy job, I think it was called A11. But it wasn't built like Lux & it crapped out & was declared unrepairable. grrrr.