I'm a noob. How many categories of speakers are there?

djbeatz

Hi. I'm a musician, and a complete noob on the subject of audio and speakers. I've only heard of 3 categories of speakers that can be connected to a PC:

1.) Multimedia

2.) HiFi

3.) Studio Monitors

What other types of speakers are out there? (I am especially interested in ones that I can connect to my soundcard.)

----------------

On 8/15/2005 5:04:05 PM djbeatz wrote:

Hi. I'm a musician, and a complete noob on the subject of audio and speakers. I've only heard of 3 categories of speakers that can be connected to a PC:

1.) Multimedia

2.) HiFi

3.) Studio Monitors

What other types of speakers are out there? (I am especially interested in ones that I can connect to my soundcard.)

----------------

I think that firstly, you should think about 2 main categories of speakers: PASSIVE and ACTIVE. Passive speakers are connected to an external amplifier, and active speakers use an internal amplifier. Home audio speakers as well as multimedia speakers that include a subwoofer are most often passive, while some multimedia speakers, and many studio monitors are active.

Now, studio monitors (which are most often nearfield), are simply very accurate speakers, which have been engineered such that the dispersion pattern of the sound they produced, is optimized for near-field listening. From personal experience they tend to sound very flat, and do not produce a large soundstage... but they are not designed to do so. They most commonly feature several types of inputs, including XLR, 1/4" Phono, and sometimes RCA inputs.

Multimedia speakers are no different from any other speakers. The only difference is that they commonly include an inexpensive preamp/amp setup that is integrated into the body of one of the speakers, or the subwoofer. They also most often feature 1/8" minijack inputs, as opposed to the 1/4" RCA inputs commonly found in home audio setups. The multimedia speakers tend to be inexpensive and small, as they are designed to unobtrusively stand beside a computer monitor.

You can connect any speakers to your computer. To help us answer your questions, tell us what is your indended use for this equipment, as well as any size/shape constraints, and your budget.

----------------------

One can also differentiate the speakers based on their type, and Tom gave a good rundown of those... without mentioning the most common type - the direct radiator.

Quite frankly, I am not sure what you mean by "categories"!

Are these categories defined by use, topology, etc.?

We can be listing the various possibility for days depending upon which adjectives you like!

After all, after we finish with the cabinet topology we can get into the powering oprions, or the electro-mechanical driver design, or the fact that they are floor standing, bookshelf, wherever and brown, blue, black or.... whatever!

I would suggest refining your question a bit!

Basically I dont have the money necessary for studio monitors, and only intend to buy one speaker system. I am going to connect it to my souncard (planning to upgrade to X-FI soon) and intend to use it for the following purposes:

1. Mixing/Mastering Classical & Jazz music

2. Playback of CD/DVD audio and music files

3. Playing PC games

I'd like the widest, flattest Fequency Response possible without actually purchasing studio monitors.

BTW, I guess what I meant was "categorized by usage."

Running them off you PC soundcard? Is this a Pro-Tools configuration or....?

For mastering?

Well, as I am not sure of the rest of the topolgy, you will most probably want powered speakers, which then leads to the bigger question of how much you want to spend.

And while there are many fine multimedia speakers, if you are looking at 'pro-sound' speakers you have from Mackie to Genelec.

I dont even know what Pro-Tools is.

I have an 1/8 inch digital 5.1 output, and 2 1/8 inch analog outputs on my Audigy soundcard. (I'm not sure what outputs are available on the X-FI line though.) I compose, perform, mix, post-process, and mater my own soundtracks with Jeskola Buzz and Renoise.

Currently I'm using Klipsch Promedia 2.1, and I want to step up to the highest level of quality available. Once I purchase my new soundcard, I will have a budget of $750 left over. :)

Like I said, I am looking to do the following:

1. Mixing/Mastering my own compositions

2. Playback of CD/DVD audio and music files

3. Playing PC games

----------------

On 8/15/2005 6:15:05 PM djbeatz wrote:

I dont even know what Pro-Tools is.

----------------

A program made by the company Digidesign, Pro Tools is the industry standard for all sound-editing and sound-mixing.

It's like Avid for film and TV editors.

Being that you're a musician, you should start familiarizing yourself with Pro Tools ASAP. I can't believe you've never even heard of it!

For some good primary info and opportunities for deep study, go to the speakers section at ecoustics.com, and click on "Articles." You'll find plenty of "reprints" from specialty A/V magazines, explanations and info. Then head to your local retailer and buy Klipsch 2.gif

Studio Monitors sound like crap first and foremost. They are used for sole purposes to sound flat and lifeless to detect irregularities and such that may be masked by bass midrange or treble. As a klipsch fan I prefer the horns and in your face lively music. Some like flat and neutral b&w speakers.

Secondly most music is mixed in 2 channels. Left and right.

Third your setup is not that great to start up. The xfi soundcard sounds cool and seems to be able to edit but there are limitations. Remember these are regular music card, professional soundcards are much much better but cost alot more.

Fourth what are you mixing and making? Studio monitors are hgihly suggested for mixing.

There are many catergories of speakers. As a dj you probably wanting more decibals then quality as that is what sadly is many djs have become. Heck I rememeber one dj that was using a iPod mini to dh with. Pushing more boomy bass and such at the expense of hearing loss. Pro speakers are what are needed for djs. For mixers it's studio.

Posted: 8/15/2005 11:39:04 PM

Jay481985 wrote:

"Studio Monitors sound like crap first and foremost. They are used for sole purposes to sound flat and lifeless to detect irregularities and such that may be masked by bass midrange or treble. As a klipsch fan I prefer the horns and in your face lively music. Some like flat and neutral b&w speakers.

Third your setup is not that great to start up. The xfi soundcard sounds cool and seems to be able to edit but there are limitations. Remember these are regular music card, professional soundcards are much much better but cost alot more.

Fourth what are you mixing and making? Studio monitors are hgihly suggested for mixing.

There are many catergories of speakers. As a dj you probably wanting more decibals then quality as that is what sadly is many djs have become. Heck I rememeber one dj that was using a iPod mini to dh with. Pushing more boomy bass and such at the expense of hearing loss. Pro speakers are what are needed for djs. For mixers it's studio."

I don't understand: why all the sarcasm?

First, you have jumped to an incorrect conclusion: I am NOT like other djs. I am more interestd in quality than simple volume (besides I can always amplify a song in an a soft EQ before final output, in "WaveStudio" software, within Buzz Studio, in an outboard mixing board, or simply "crank" the volume in a club.)

Simple volume is not hard to accomplish.

Fidelity is another matter.

Besides, I am looking to write my own songs and mix, master, and remix other people's songs.

Second, I specifically said several times that I was referring to speakers that I could connect to a PC, NOT club speakers. (I guess I should go with multimedia ones then...?) Therefore, I don't need to have them cranked constantly. There are other uses I have for them. (read below)

Third I specifically stated that I was going to do more than just mix music. I also wanted speakers that I could listen to CD/DVD/MP3/etc. playback on (and play games on) which brings me to the fourth point:

Fourth, I said that 5.1 would be NICE, but it is not an absolute requirement. I specifically said that I was more interested in fidelity.

Finally, I specifically stated that I was looking for the best I could get without actually using monitor speakers. I was hoping to find the flattest & widest frequency response from speakers that could be hooked to a PC.

I'm sorry djbeatz, Its just that I was totally annoyed with a dj about two weeks ago when all he could do was play as loud and distorted as possible and used a ****ing ipod mini as his source.... And you know his mp3's were downloaded. You could even hear the point when the radio station comes in. And then about 5 times they had issues with their equipment..... btw I think I lost some hearing that night since the tweeters were as in your face as all hell and not the nice one. More like a nagging person in your face.

Let me give some observations.

The studio monitor term when used legitimately grows out of some experience by the BBC many years ago. When they used home type speakers in a small room (studio) or the back of van (even smaller room) on remote locations, the sound was a lot different than when the same were used in a bigger, normal room.

Most of the problem is that drivers "look" different when you're up close. The near field and far field effects of the speakers and room are different. Roughly, if you are close to a six inch speaker, it is bigger than a 12 inch speaker when you're far away.

Therefore the project was to make a speaker for use in the near field (when the listener is two feet away) mimic the same as it would be if the listener is in the far field (when the listener is ten feet away, or more). That is not to say the speaker works equally well as the listener moves away. Just that a true studio monitor is only accurate when you're up close.

There is much hype in the audio market. There is the thought that something called a studio monitor is inherently better. So the tag gets appled regardless of merit or application in the hi fi world.

There is though a legit ongoing problem in the audio world of movies for example. A movie sound track is played in large theaters, and on home systems. Yet the mixing is often done in a small studio. All different sized rooms and speakers. Tomlinson Hulslman (sp?, Mr. THX) decribes this in his book 5.1 Channel Up and Running.

To some extent, the use of computers and audio introduced the same problems and issue to the unwashed masses. That being that the speakers are an arm's length away. We're back in the BBC van.

The good news is that relatively small drivers sound better at some frequencies than they would if you were on the other side of the room. Therefore any old three inch driver can be hung of a computer monitor and called multimedia. On the other hand, this gives license for the use of junk. They sound less junky when you're up close.

I'd say that the Klipsch mulitmedia are indeed tailored for accurate listening in the near field. They pay a lot of attention to this. So if I was in your situation, I'd buy them.

On the other hand, it is a very tall order to ask that a recording you balance on any near field system will be a fair representation of what the thousand of variations at home will hear on their system. In the same way, if you have a terrific computer system, it will not sound as perfect when you move to the sofa.

Gil

----------------

On 8/15/2005 11:39:04 PM Jay481985 wrote:

Studio Monitors sound like crap first and foremost. They are used for sole purposes to sound flat and lifeless to detect irregularities and such that may be masked by bass midrange or treble. As a klipsch fan I prefer the horns and in your face lively music. Some like flat and neutral b&w speakers.

There are many catergories of speakers. As a dj you probably wanting more decibals then quality as that is what sadly is many djs have become. Heck I rememeber one dj that was using a iPod mini to dh with. Pushing more boomy bass and such at the expense of hearing loss. Pro speakers are what are needed for djs. For mixers it's studio. ----------------

I remember a magazine advertisment by some speaker company in the early 70's that referenced the advertisments of Altec. Altec had been running a series of ads that stated they were the most used speaker in recording studios for monitoring and implied it was because of their flat reponse. The other company (don't recall who it was) countered in their ad that when they interviewed the studio people to find out why they used Altecs, the answer was something like, "Well, when you listen to music all day long it gets hard to hear stuff, so they use the Altecs because of their coloration - the exageration of the response actually assists in the mixdown and mastering process".