Newbie .... Forte II

3Fates

Hi Folks,

Nice to find this board. Well, this past weekend a pair of Forte II's came into my life. I will be honest ... I know nothing about these speakers. I tried them in two different rooms in my home ... first a cheapie living room system with a Sansui integrated - sounded okay. Then I inserted them in my dedicated music room with a rather expensive setup (VPI, Apogees, etc) - and the Forte II's sounded surprisingly good.

Now the questions .... Are Forte II's considered to be a good speaker? What can you guys tell me? Have I stumble upon something special here? What are the most desireable Klipsch speakers? Also, if I decide to keep these speakers .. what mods should be done? driver replacement? crossover upgrade? do these speakers like to be spiked?

Thanks in advance.

Forte IIs are fantastic speakers. Check out the search feature in the upper right hand corner. You should find a ton of info on Foret/Forte II. I just put in forte II and got pages and pages of hits.

Welcome to the board and get ready to buy more Klipsh speakers.

I have both Cornwalls and Forte IIs. I'm surprised at how well the Forte IIs compare. That being said, there's something about the Cornwalls and I'm keeping them. The Fortes will end up being rehomed soon as I don't have space for multiple sets of large speakers but I think that the Fortes are very good speakers and have enjoyed the "tight" bass. I guess I just like trying out something different once in a while. Keeps life interesting.

You have a very good speaker on your hands. Simple advice, keep them and contact DeanG on this forum about crossover upgrades. The capacitors could be replaced to improve the sound. I don't know you amp/preamp combination, but this a speaker you could be very happy with. Upgrades would be RF-7's, Cornwalls, LaScallas, Belle Klipsch and Klipschorns. Other than that you have a winner that will give you lots of bass, a very good rock and roll speaker. For the money, the Fortes are great, you can't touch them for the $500-600 US that you could get for them on eBay.

Tubes would make them sound even better, but that is a down the road consideration.

I've got 4 of them, make great HT speakers. Also loud rock sounds great. Haven't heard them with tubes or expensive receiver but my sony seems to do well. If you want to lose them put them on the board and they will be gone soon.