Just got a VPI 16.5, couple of questions

Shade

First off, thanks to everyone here for convincing me to get one of these. I tried it on a few records last night, and it does quite an impressive job. I had one old Telarc record I didn't expect it to do much for, but it took out a lot of the static and noise.

A couple of questions though :

What do you use to clean the cork mat? Can you run the vacuum tube over it, or should I just wipe it down? Or maybe just pick up a second mat for the dirty sides, although that kind of sounds like a pain.

Also, regarding emptying the fluid, do you only have to do this if you clean a lot of records in one sitting? Cleaned 3 last night, nothing came out of the tube when I tipped the machine back a bit. Then again, I'm not using an insane amount of fluid. So if you just clean a few in one sitting, does it just evaporate then?

Thanks

Don't clean more than 10-15 records each time. The motor gets real hot and wears the gears so it needs to cool down. I managed to kill one motor be cleaning 80 lp's straight - Learn from my mistake.

Don't worry about the fluid it just evaporates.

"What do you use to clean the cork mat? Can you run the vacuum tube over it, or should I just wipe it down? Or maybe just pick up a second mat for the dirty sides, although that kind of sounds like a pain."

I think that wiping it down would work.

I clean the mat on mine with a damp sponge with the platter rotating, seems to work fine. I would NOT use the vacuum tube. Also, you do need to drain the fluid reservoir, that is why they have a drain tube. I just put the end of the drain tube in a cup on the floor and release the clamp until empty. Done in a matter of seconds. I drain mine about every ten or so records. Depends on how much fluid you use.

The cork mat is permanently bonded to the turntable. To clean it, move the TABLE switch up to start the turntable moving forward and rotate the Vacuum Pickup Tube until it is pointing at the spindle. Move the VACUUM switch up to the on position and vacuum the mat for one revolution. After vacuuming the mat, clean the velvet surfaces of the Vacuum Pickup Tube . This is from my VPI 17 manual. You can wipe it with a sponge but I dont.

I empty my 16.5 every 5 - 10 records depending on the cleaning process and how ambitious I feel.2.gif

It really depends on the required cleaning process used. It sounds like I use more fluids than most who have posted here.

Here's my process.

Step 1, for extra dirty records (read filthy):

Start with a quick rinse under the sink to remove thick dust (being carefull not to get the label wet). This is a time saver for less valuable records only. More valuable records would get a pre rinse on the VPI instead to lower the the potential of ruining the label. This step helps keep the cork mat cleaner. Skip this step if not required.

Step 2, for cleaner looking garage sale finds:

Apply liberal amounts of VPI fluid (or whatever stronger cleaning fluid you choose) and spread it evenly with the VPI supplied brush. Let soak for 15-20 minutes or so (about the time it takes to play a side). Do not leave the fluid on long enough to dry. With the motor off, scrub parallel to the grooves with the supplied brush or better yet Disc Dr or Mofi brushes. Vacuum.

I repeat this step with each playing until the record is clean.

Step 3, a milder cleaning:

Apply liberal amounts of RRL cleaning solution and spread evenly with the supplied VPI brush (better yet, use a different brush). RRL is mainly super pure water and does not contain a surfactant. It will help remove any of the remaining surfactant from the VPI fluid. Vacuum (preferably with a different or cleaned pick up tube). It has been my experience that this step will not efficiently remove gunk, that's what step 2 is for.

Step 4, final rinse:

Apply liberal amounts of distilled water and spread evenly with the previously used VPI brush. Vacuum with the same tube from step 3.

This whole process takes about 20-25 minutes a side and allows you to clean as you go (play a side, clean a side). No long multi disc cleaning sessions. 3.gif

A cleaned record then bypasses the 16.5 for future plays.

During the winter, I drain my tube after about 10 records. So far this summer I've cleaned about 500 records and about 2 drops have come out of the tube. I suppose the more humid the temp, the more quickly the fluid evaporates.

Shade,

Make sure to buy fluid and brushes from DiscDoctor.com if you haven't already. Call him and he'll tell you exactly how to use them. He'll also tell you to use distilled water for a final rinse which is a GREAT idea. I've been using his products and method for a couple years and it works great. The only thing I do differently is I vacume during both cleaning and rinsing. He says you can save some arm wear by using toilet paper to blot the fluid after the first round, before using the distilled water. I tried it but didn't like the results at all.

----------------

On 8/24/2005 9:24:47 AM garymd wrote:

During the winter, I drain my tube after about 10 records.

----------------

In the Summer, though, with all that beer drinking, it'd probably be more like every 2 records.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. After dropping this much on a record cleaner, I don't want to screw something up.

Gary : I was going to go the disc doctor route, but ended up getting a pretty decent bundle deal at musicdirect. Came with 2 MoFi brushes, 2 different types of RRL cleaner, & 100 MoFi sleeves. Plus they're here in Chicago so I was able to pick it up that day. I'll try out the DD after I use up some more of the RRL. Although I could maybe just order some of his cleaning fluid, going by the pics his brushes look real similar to the MoFi ones.

----------------

On 8/24/2005 9:24:47 AM garymd wrote:

During the winter, I drain my tube after about 10 records. So far this summer I've cleaned about 500 records and about 2 drops have come out of the tube. I suppose the more humid the temp, the more quickly the fluid evaporates.

Shade,

Make sure to buy fluid and brushes from DiscDoctor.com if you haven't already. Call him and he'll tell you exactly how to use them. He'll also tell you to use distilled water for a final rinse which is a GREAT idea. I've been using his products and method for a couple years and it works great. The only thing I do differently is I vacume during both cleaning and rinsing. He says you can save some arm wear by using toilet paper to blot the fluid after the first round, before using the distilled water. I tried it but didn't like the results at all.
----------------

I know the DiscDoctor knows what he's doing but toilet paper?! Maybe the quilted kind1.gif That sounds messy to me, I'd go for more arm wear.