CD recommendations?

wuzzzer

I've pretty much gone through all my existing CDs since I bought my Reference speakers so I am looking for some suggestions on some CDs to buy that are very well recorded/mixed.

Can be anything from classical to rock. I have the Telarc 'Fantasy' CD with selections from various sci-fi and fantasy films that sounds very, very good. Also have a couple Pink Floyd and an Alan Parsons Project CD which is odd but sounds awesome.

Does anyone have a good online source for DVD Audio discs, too? Thanks!

Go down into "DVD's, Music and Movies" part of the "Entertainment" section of this forum. There is a "weekly music recommendation" thread. You can try to search on that to see all the the previous "weekly recommendation" threads.

That is the best place to start to see what types of disks/music various people on here has been recommending.

----------------

On 8/24/2005 10:42:50 AM wuzzzer wrote:

Thanks, guess I never scrolled down that far yet!
16.gif

----------------

No problem. Since those "weekly recommendation" threads have been going on for awhile, you should find all kinds of good stuff being recommended in there (much better response than what you'd likely get from this thread). And of course, if you got anything to recommend, feel free to add it. For example, that Telarc disk you mention sounds interesting (I am a big Sci-Fi/Fantasy fan myself). I may have to go check it out myself.

And also to add: Along those lines, if you want something interesting and "weird", check out Ayreon Into the Electric Castle.

on-line sources for DVD-A:

AIX Records at www.aixrecords.com/ (superb indy label -- great samplers)

Acoustic sounds at www.acousticsounds.com (full line dealer)

Music Direct at www.musicdirect.com (full line)

DTS REcordings at www.dtsonline.com/ (still putting out some good stuff)

Happy Multi-channel Listening -- look for best titles at the Weekly Recommended thread mentioned above.

I love the Telarc recording of the Cincinnati Pops. You mentioned one. There are many others.

Symphonic Star Trek is a must have. It is particularly good as a system demo for visitors because most people have at least heard these themes.

Round Up and Happy Trails are favorites of mine but a bit corney, corney in a fun type of way.

War and Remberance is another top item from the same people.

Best,

Gil

Yup, the Members Weekly Music Recommendations is a great source for good tunes. Been running for about a year now so that is a lot to go back to and see.

In addition, hardly a week goes by without a music thread of some sort, I've probably started 20 or thirty myself (in addition ot "Members"). If you are into jazz, check out Alan Songer, he's always got a music thread, going, there's also a number of classical threads, blues etc. One way to do this is if you like someones music recommendations, click on their avatar, this brings up their personal info, click on "functions" and search their posts for other music they have been talking about.

One final word, participation in the Members thread may just win you a brand new Klispch T-Shirt. Is that great or what?