9.1 vs 7.1

farmer24

Don't some of the higher end yamaha recievers have a front effects channel? I suppose that would make for a matrixed 9.1 system. The guys on the forum that have them claim it makes a world of difference and they'll never go back.

Btw, 6.1 is the largest format available (so there is no discrete 7.1 material).

"Don't some of the higher end yamaha recievers have a front effects channel?"

That is true some do. Does that work on top of their 7 channel processing?

"6.1 is the largest format available (so there is no discrete 7.1 material)."

In the home that is true, in the theater that isn't. DTS ES Discrete 6.1 isn't exactly all that discrete since the sixth channel is also duplicated in the L/R surrounds for backwards compatibility with regular DTS decoders.

The upcoming Dolby Digital + can support 7.1 discrete (and more) channels.

Shawn

9.1...[:$]

All one needs is two mains(RF7's)a good center(RC7),two side sourrounds(RF5's) and two rear sourrounds(RF7's)and a few good subwoofers to handle the deep sea bass. [:D]

I have a 7.1(6)configuration and its all good.No need for extra channels,unless maybe a la Yamaha front effects(heh I have spare RB5's).

IMHO I really don't think it's overkill. I do have a high end Yamaha amp with the extra channels. The additional speakers are a "presence" pair that are situated ideally forward of the front and to the side, like "forward side surround" and a "Rear Surround" pair. With the right effect going, depending on the source, you truly get a sort of smooth circular transition between all the speakers, and there are different sounds from each of the "channels". Or at least it appears to be that way. I'm not sure what it involves, it may just be some fancy phase/frequency shifting going on, but you should hear "that sound" from Law and Order cycling through all the speakers!

As far as the expense, well that's gonna depend on what speakers you get. The reason I bought the Yahama is it came with that nice little microphone you place where your head is gonna be and hit set up and it automatically adjusts all the speakers for optimum convergence based on size and distance.