OT Car audio subwoofers about the Size

thxsubwoofers

The audiobahn is just for show at shows... The bit MTX is really only for SPL competitions: Very specialized. Put a few together and run em at 170dB for a few seconds before burning the voice coils. You dont put them in cars for quality sound. Its just like auto racing: Honda makes F1 engines but no one expects to find one in a Civic.

But no loss of love for the car audio crowd. SPL is a sport in itself. The subs were never meant for critical listening, therefore shouldn't be compared to those that are. Car audiophiles use subs with very good SQ and is another competition category altogether. Most use only one sub.

I am firmly against loud car audio. I live in a very upscale neighborhood in the suburbs and we have a few young kids around here who "bump" every day, speed and scretch their tires, One of them in fact assaulted me with two of his friends after I confronted him about his driving habits. There is only one reason they do it and that is attention. The list of reasons for not doing is so long that Im not going to even start. Here is a very accurate and appropriate article you should all read. Most of it is stuff you already know, but it really brings some serious statistics to light.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.lowertheboom.org/trice/BoomCarNoise.pdf

Competition or not, MTX has lowed my standards of living because of all the noise they have made around my house. I think the government should be more effortful about boom cars. Im not a fan of a lot of government, but when things do affect my health, I think they should then pass laws. A fine example of this is the smoking ban in CA. That was one of the best laws passed in the last 10 years. If the government prevents me from shooting and killing these stupid kids, then they better damn prevent them from being little punks with their loud music in residential neighborhoods. There are literally 20-30 people on my street who have all complained and the cops do nothing.

yes it does apply to headphones. Actually people using headphones are

more prone to hearingloss since the speakers are much much closer to

the ear. Also since the iPod age where people would use it on loud

subways and buses, they may infact put the volume up higher just to

compensate for the surrounding area. Hence that is why I believe inear

earbuds are the best since they block out the outside noise. Just it

gets a little dirty, ear fitting problems, and the fact you cannot hear

the outside world.

I have a nice car system, I do jam out on ocassion but I don't do it in residential neighborhoods or late at night. Mostly on the highways and byways in route to and from work. A very high quality head unit and quality amplification, not quantity amplification apply here.

I have two 10" Orion NT2 DVC subwoofers in a sealed enclosure and the bass is solid and tight and does get real low! I am in it for the Sound Quality aspect and always have been. I competed in IASCA for a couple of years ('95-'96) so I know quality audio in a car when I hear it. Quality component speakers front and rear round out the system (a/d/s and Magnum Professionals). I won 2nd place in the Best of the Best in NY in '95 in the 1-150 Novice Class with my '94 Camaro. Sound deadening is also a must, nothing worse than a bass hit followed by a resounding bbzzzzzzz from the car panels or plates. No Bzzzzzing from my car! SQ has been out of style for awhile it is all about SPL contests now!

A little common sense here goes a long way! However, if some idiot in front of me is yacking on the cell phone, smoking a cigarette having hang it out the window and trying to drive at the same time, slowing me down I have no trouble opening the moonroof and windows and giving them a taste of 130db+ of quality bass sounds like.

Any idiot can put bass in a car, getting it to blend with the highs and mids and not sound like ten men beating on a rubber raft is another story. Most kids just want the nasty 60-80Hz BOOM! Yuck! When I used to be into car audio heavy I certainly saw my share of laughable systems.

Charlie LaMarca's $100,000Corvette with Velodyne Servo subs, a/d/s components, and Rane Processors, headed up with the infamous Alpine 7909 was really something. The trailer that transported the car was nicer than alot of people's trailer homes.

It's a question of respecting your neighbour... like Frvinvt says, a little common sense goes a long way. Nothing wrong with SQ -or- SPL car audio and vibrating rear licence plates... as long as you don't go out of your way to annoy others.

Competition or not, MTX has lowed my standards of living because of all the noise they have made around my house.

Would that include the midrange horns they have been supplying Heritage Klipsch?[;)]

I think this isn't limited to car audio, as a bigger nuisance in my neighbourhood is the older guys trying to relive their youth on a Harley. I'm not impressed and they definitely don't look more "virile" to me... [:P] Put a d@mn muffler on those things... or don't drive around a 1am !!

Rob

Imagine the Noise Can. Bose Headphones. I was crazy enough to demo there bose headphones at the bose dealer, because I thought it didn't have enough bass. I placed my Bass CD in the bose headphones and... wow! I don't know if I was imagining things, but I thought that the Headphones was compressing my head, due to the Air pressure . LOL TOO MUCH BASS For Even Me! Makes your ears hurt after a while.

Nice avatar portrait Nicholtl!

THX, well said, young man. You're right- there are all sorts of noise intruding into our daily lives, causing high blood pressure, reducing neighborhood values, etc. Jackhammers, garbage trucks at night, motorcycles, 'rice burner' car exhaust, leaf blowers etc. It's getting so there is no quiet space left on earth for meditation.

Regarding hearing, there have been many threads on the subject, but if it hurts or your ears ring the next day, you've probably caused damage. Think about the human ear for a moment. It's a canal into your head that ends in three tiny bones and a small diaphram called the eardrum. Tiny hairs in the inner ear turn waveform energy into electrical impulses that enter our brains and give us the sensations we love so much. Damage any part of this delicate machinery and it can be all over. No more high notes, then you can't hear human speech so well, then you're really done.

Personally, I don't turn on a power tool or lawnmower without EAR tapered earplugs. My hearing is too important to me to take any chances with it. That might explain how I seem to have a generally lower system volume than many posters here, but I also get mad quicker when some outside source abuses my ears through NOISE. Noise is defined as any unwanted sound.

Please, rake your leaves, don't jackrabbit start at night, and turn your car stereos down in neighborhoods. Pretty please.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

The Audiobahn is a huge joke,the immense cone and weak motor structure = EXTRA SLOPPY,EXTRA UNDEFINED BASS!

The MTX is a serious SPL monster,like a giant JL Audio W8 or SVS TV12.Less the bass quality

To install a heavyweight like the Jackhammer in a car one must be a deaf show off who wants to win one of those Bling Bling King with his pimped Hummer or other oversized SUV.

In a car all anyone needs is a high quality 10 to 12" subwoofer,proper cabinet/amp and you have so much bass your head will spin.