plastic and not metal. It flexes and bends when you move it. Which

computer is better? They may be functionally the same, but I woudl take

the IBM (now Lenovo). You would take the RXV line of Yamahas. But Yammy

says the AMP is the same.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're saying that your old Technics reciever had better bass and treble I bet that you activated the loudness control on it and the Yamaha is lacking that feature. Also, the bass turnover freq. could be different. I know on my Yamaha the bass control goes into the higher bass too much which I don't prefer to increase. I don't know why the newer models eliminated the loudness control.

Michael,

YOU are beating up on the HTR series. They are not the same because they have different 'features'. Yamaha says the amplifiers ARE the same. * Yamaha isn't making it up.

I almost never use eq on my system. I haven't brought home an RTA, although I could borrow one from work. I haven't ever disliked the way any of my systems have sounded, but adusted the room to make it work (and not much at that).

* You could make the same comparison with different brands of computers too. Compare an IBM desktop with a Dell. The Dell is in a case that is plastic and not metal. It flexes and bends when you move it. Which computer is better? They may be functionally the same, but I woudl take the IBM (now Lenovo). You would take the RXV line of Yamahas. But Yammy says the AMP is the same.

Marvel,

I appreciate your comments. I am merely pointing out to readers that the POWER output of both types are rated differently, so comparisons should take this into account. Therefore, comparing 80 wpc RXV and 80 wpc HTR will be somewhat different, as are the price points. The fact that the RXV is considerably heavier than it's counterpart in the HTR series means that surely something in the construction method, features, or possibly the circuitry and quality of components MIGHT be different. The fact that RXV is sold by hifi dealers and HTR is sold by outlets chains should say something other than just a price differential.

I doubt that Yamaha would want to call their HTR series lackluster, inferior, etc. But imho, the RXV is much more receiver than the HTR. The flagship unit is not an HTR any more than Klipsch's best sounding speaker is in the Synergy line. HTR is still a viable product at it's price point, but might not be the receiver I would choose for say a pair of RF35 speakers. The 'weakest link' theory and all that.

Peace,

Michael

ON SECOND THOUGHT,

I just looked some Yamaha specs up, just for fun. So let me add this to the Yamaha discussion (sorry to slightly detour the thread, but writer is interested in new receiver)

I went to the Yamaha website and optained printouts for comparison of several of the mid-top RXV and HTR series. While the RXV series does extend upwards in price, features, and power to the tune of three models and several thousand dollars above the HTR, there are several very similar units.

Here's what I found in my brief evaluation of the spec sheets. The RXV1400 and HTR5790 both have MSRP of $799, so that seems a fair comparison. Te RXV spec will be listed first. If spec is the same for both, only one is listed.

Power 7x 110 vs 7x110(HTR rated at 20-20k)

.04% THD on both.

Damping 140 of more

pre out no, yes

DSP chip same

27 programs, 47 variations on both

pretty much same specs, inputs and outputs, each weighs 34.2 pounds so they just might be made of the same stuff. RXV series does have the zone 2/3 options and TWO of the DSP chips. There might be a difference in phono inputs (or lack of) and the manner in which zones or rec out operates on some of the models, so if those items are a concern, shop carefully.

So unless you really need a special feature of one or the other, at least at this particular retail price point, the DO LOOK PRETTY SIMILAR.

I apologize for any innacuracies in any of my earlier statements that may have mislead anyone. Marvel, I stand corrected.[:$]

Michael

First, many have remarked about the possibility of the speakers being out of phase. I have checked this several times and they are not.

I have had my old 30 year old Technics receiver hooked up to the Heresy's and they work fine so I have got a standard of comparison.

The HTR-5840 does not have a YPAO check. It does have a "Test Tone Check" which does nor produce a tone like it's supposed to. You can here muted speaker noise as it moves from speaker to speaker but no tone. I wasn't too much concerned about this at the time. Now I'm starting to wonder.

I bought the receiver from Video Only because their everyday price was lower then any sale price I could find elseware. There is only one drawback.

They do not give cash refunds. They give exchanges or credit for anything else they might sell for 30 days. Today is the 30th day so back it goes. I don't know what other brands of receivers they sell so will have to check that out.

Again, thanks to all for all your help.

Leonard

If you pick up another Yamaha get one with preouts ie: the 5760 or 5860 whatever they have now.

then you can try different amps, the only way to find what you like is to try different things. Thats how I am using my 5790 now and if you go to the pre/amp thread going on right now there are a couple other folks doing the same thing. It is a hell of a preamp with all its dsp's. The movie dsp's are really cool.

good luck I hope you get something satisfying soon so you can move on to the next thing........cornwalls[:)]

wayne

Here is the HTR-5840 website. The 5800 series replaces the 5700 series.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5840.htm

Does anyone know of a glossery for audio terms that i could download?

There is a lot of terminology that I don't understand, like pre-outs. Is that an output from the pre-amplifier?

I would like to stay in the $300 price range but I'm flexible.

Leonard

preouts allow you to use all the functions of the yamaha with a different power amplifyer if you so choose. Every speaker channel ie: center, left front and so on, can be run into a different amplifyer. If you can only get credit at that store the next Yamaha up has preouts, htr-5860.

There should be a section in the back of the manual that will explain some of the terms.

Just ask here we will all be too happy to help

my bad, looks like the htr-5760 is two steps up from the 40, it has preouts and video upconversion which is handy if your tv is component ready and say you cable box isnt. you wont have to make two seperate connections to your tv nor will you have to change the station everytime you want to switch from say dvd to cable. the reciever will do it automatically. It also is equiped with the YPOA that basically sets everything up for you. Those three options are a huge amount of options imo to the 40.

unfortunately the 60 does not come with the learning remote

I am not saying run out and get the 5860, I am just trying to tell you some of the differences.

I took the Yamaha back this afternoon and received a credit slip.

They have 4 brands of receiver which I can choose from. Sony, JVC, Yamaha and HK. The salesperson reccomended the Yamaha or the HK.

I will go back in a day or two to pick one up.

I would appreciate some suggestions as to which would be best.

Leonard

Michael,

Not giving you grief. I just know that Yamaha does some things the same

way HP does for printers. Sometimes the same features and functionality

gets sold to different markets under different names or models.

There are some differences. No arguement there. My son (Invideosulus)

has an HTR and likes it a lot. We got some to use at work as well,

having gotten them at BB. The price was sure right.

Bruce

I didn't look into which Sony models they had. I think I would rather get a stereo model as they are a lot less complicated. The only stereo they had was a Sony. I thought if I waited a few days I might get some suggestions

like yours. I have my old Technics which I can use.in the mean time.

I will look into the Sony ES model.

Thanks,

Leonard