tube amp?

tajer

I currently have my cornwall ll 's sitting on their sides with hereseys on top of them also on their sides

woofers to the outside. The four are powered by a '78 Sansui au 11000 integrated amp

(115 watt).

I have always loved the set up but wonder if a tube amp of less power would sound better,

warmer, etc. or to save some doe can I use a tube pre amp with the solid state Sansui?

What amps are considered the "perfect" match for all these horns?

Are you running the 4 speakers at the same time?

Some tube amplifiers sound warm. Like the budget Jolida 202 integrated tube amplifier. You could also consider a rebuilt classic tube amplifier, but whatever amplifier you choose, I suggest you spend some time setting your loudspeakers up properly for your room and run just one pair at a time.

A tube pre-amp with a suitable S/S power amp is a great way to go. Although I think you could probably do better than the Sansui.

Check out the Juicy Music Website. The Merlin line level tube preamp (around $599) may be a very good option for you. Maybe a Rotel or NAD power amp could be considered if you wanted to keep costs down.

I've got a Jolida 502B that you can have for $850 (+ shipping). Retail

From their website (www.jolida.com)

Model JD 502B

Construction Details and Features:

Fully Integrated Stereo Amplifier: Input 600mV driving 60 watts, maximum 85 watts output.

Multiple Inputs: Front mounted selector switch-CD, Tape Recorder, Tuner and Aux (for TV, DVD Player, VCR or Computer).

Right and Left Stereo Balance Control: + 50dB at both right and left front panel control.

Custom Wound Audio Transformers with a core of German grain oriented silicon steel. 15th generation proprietary design. Secondary can be configured for a 4 ohm or 8 ohm load.

Top panel bias testing terminal with bias adjustment controls.

State of the Art Components: ALPS audio potentiometer, gold plated RCA input jacks.

Low Feedback Design: Only 5 dB.

The reasons I'm looking to sell it are several.

1. I've got a Peach and I'd now rather have a power amp than an integrated
2. I've since acquired a pair of Wright 2A3's and Transcendent SE-OTL's (and now the Jolida is just sitting there)
3. Since I'll probably keep the SE-OTL for my low power amp, I might get a brute solid state amp for the punchy one (but still don't want it integrated)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Jolida, it's a fine amp and sounds very nice. There IS a touch of noise when you rotate the volume knob. Not much, but compared to the dead silent Peach, was enough to annoy me.

I currently have my cornwall ll 's sitting on their sides with hereseys on top of them also on their sides

woofers to the outside. The four are powered by a '78 Sansui au 11000 integrated amp

(115 watt).

I have always loved the set up but wonder if a tube amp of less power would sound better,

warmer, etc. or to save some doe can I use a tube pre amp with the solid state Sansui?

What amps are considered the "perfect" match for all these horns?

Welcome to the Forum.

First, I'd forget about running all 4 speakers at once. Just play one pair or the other at the same time.

You'd probably get better results using a tube preamp with your

Sansui's power amp section, rather than using your Sansui as a preamp

(if you can do that) with a tube power amp.

As Cal Blacksmith recommends above, if you have $599, you can't do better than buying a JuicyMusicAudio Merlin.

The only thought I'd have to add to Cal Blacksmith's very good advice...

Don't get in a hurry. Sometime in the next few months Juicy Music will have a new offering out.... the Juicy Music Lynx pCAT.

If you wait, you'll have your choice between VRD and pCAT amps.

[A]

Dudes...I know it sounds wierd but having the heresys and the cornies

running at the same time is awsome .It approximates the sound of the k

horn . I listen to some old vinyl on a vintage bang and olafson

turntable.

So I need an amp that can run both sets of speakers...the juicies don't seem able.

and what's with no headphone jack? Thanks for the help...

The extra large type

in my post indicated sarcasm. Making the move from SS to tube is a big

one, are you sure you are ready? Lots of cash on hand?[;)]

There are lots of great choices that don't require a ton of money. If

you want to go with very good lower cost equipment, Fisher

and Scott are great units. They were made as receivers,

integrated and separates.

There are usually several good units for sale at Craig's (Nos Valves) website

HTTP://nosvalves.com/sale.htm

He has a nice Fisher KX 100 for sale for $450 if you are looking for an integrated.

He also has a pair of Heathkit amps that are slightly freight damaged

but fully functional for $375 if you are happy with your current tube

pre-amp.

There is always Epay but you uasualy need to service anything you get

from there anyway so why not start with something you know works.

"O O O O O I KNOW !!!!!! The answer to all amp questions are JUCY MUSIC AND VRDS!!!!!!!

THERE ARE NO OTHER AMPS ON THE PLANET THAT ARE AS GOOD!! I don't know

how they do it!! SO MUCH VALUE FOR THE MONEY!!!"

Value for the money? Really?

I thought you have to spend 2 arms and 3 legs for those. [:D].

I guess Paul and company just didn't see the sarcasm in your statement or they just pretended that it is not there.

Sometime people just don't know their limits!