Poll: Best Next Generation game console to own will be?

damonrpayne

Hmmm Interesting question! And one that must be examined in light of your intended use.

I think the point that all need to be cognizant of is that these consoles are NOT game consoles, per se.

As far as the technology, I will give the nod to Sony, but not without a myriad caveats. To date Sony is touting the PS3 as 2-teraflop 3.2-GHz 7 core cell CPU with a 550MHz RSX nVidia 256MB GDDR graphics processor supporting 2 displays, 2 gigabit Ethernet ports, 802.11g Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth along with 1080p compatible Blu-Ray.

While Microsoft is using a modified Power CPU with similar technology and a 16:9 HDTV output supporting both 1080i and 720p standards that actually exist. MS is leaning to the HD-DVD platform, as it makes sense not to source the Blu-Ray technology from its main competitor!

As far as choosing one for its HD-DVD or Blu-Ray technologyI think its a mistake to focus simply on this, as both formats have just announced additional layering (HD 45GB & Blu-Ray 100GB) schemes and the two formats are going to have the lifespan of a fruitfly before they are modified again. And to worry about a format that precludes the existence of both media and playback devices simply begs the point.

And as far as the Blue laser formats are concerned, they sound great as far as capacity is concerned, but I have heard noone discuss in depth the several variants of the adopted SDRM management schemes that will effectively curtail much of what so many seem to imagine them being used for!!!

Besides, the point of these platforms is not simply games, but rather in trying to capture the media console market. And as far as I am concerned, this is in too many regards a moot point. I have neither use nor desire for many of the schema that many have embraced. I will not be using this format for music storage and playback, and I will not be archiving entertainment videos that will effectively be controlled by the incorporated SDRM of which so many proponents of both platforms have been amazingly silent!

Regarding games, well, I play the few that I play mainly first person shooters - on the PC. If the consoles are cheap enough this may be a compelling reason to buy one, but I am not running out hoping to acquire a media center device. Despite their being examples of the latest greatest emerging technologies.

So personally, I most probably will NOT run out and get either he Xbox or the PS3. In the form offered there will simply be too much that cannot be utilized (1080p!!!), or that which I have no interest (MP3s), SDRM, etc. in dealing with! And it will be questionable if a handful of video games with outrageous resolution graphics will be sufficient to sway this opinon. But their main purpose may be to drive the consumer market to deal with some of the current political wars such as laser storage.

And both will be prime targets to run either Linux or OSX on them in order to gain a inexpensive PC/Mac. Especially as several Xbox software packages have already been ported to run on the Mac!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My vote is for just upgrading the PC as the pricing on the new consoles

is sick. There is no way I'm dropping $300-$600 on a console. I'd

rather dump a portion of that into my PC & bank the rest. I'll get

a lot more use out of the PC.

Not to say I won't eventually get one, but just not until they hit the $150 - $200 range.

It will be the PS3 for me. I have enjoyed both the PS1 and the PS2. The few times I have tried to play an xbox, I hated it....Just a personal preference...

I find it interesting that the only vote for the new xbox written about here has nothing to say except "babyyyyy"

How about someone to extol the virtues of the machine, or the original xbox for that matter...

I too will wait to buy the console until it has drastically reduced in price...

Only rich men and fools buy new technology when it immediately becomes available....too many glitches, too high a price...

DVD players for instance...How many of you spent hundreds of dollars on a DVD player that has less features than the $40 units available @ Wally World. It takes some patience, but I almost always come out ahead by not purchasing new technology when it is new.

Only rich men and fools buy new technology when it immediately becomes available....too many glitches, too high a price...

DVD players for instance...How many of you spent hundreds of dollars on a DVD player that has less features than the $40 units available @ Wally World. It takes some patience, but I almost always come out ahead by not purchasing new technology when it is new.

I take issue with that. Some people will always be early adopters of technology, not fools, but people who value new things enough to pay the premium they come with. Without these "rich people and fools" everyone would be waiting for the price to drop, and no one would be buying the units allowing economies of scale to make the prices drop.

Regarding the risk of being an ealy adopter...
Yes and no...

It's just that it's so easy to spot the pioneers!!
As they are the ones with all the arrows in their ***!

Been there too many times! [:P]

Besides, who is going to actually use all of the the features of the console for anything other then gaming? I just don't need either the XBox or the PS3 to play 2 games! Especially as I just l like the first person shooters and detest the online subscription group grope!

Besides that, the differences between the two are minimal when you consider the real world features! And I don't give a rat's behind about technologies that don't yet exist! 1080p indeed! And your source material will be??? They are both using IBM's Power technology. And it's funny to watch the two camps debate this aspect as so many are die hard masochists, I mean PC users!![:P][;)]

And regarding the DVD capabilities, how many of you who are chomping at the bit have taken the time to peruse the nifty SDRM hobbles? I know alot of what I had envisioned doing will not be possible, and this does not include trying to pirate material.

Thus I tend to take a bit of the whiz bang technology in stride, as I have minimal use for an integrated media center.

As I said, either platform is too much to simply play the one or two pet games that you may be a fan of, and your favorite games and their availability will quite frankly have more to do with your choice of platform then any other obtuse technical consideration!!

But we'll see, as the XBox will ship by Christmas and have almost a year head start on PS3! And which ever you choose, I just hope that it satifies your needs, as they will both (the XBox and the PS3) be quite nice!

Should be interesting!

Me, I'm waiting to see the new Macs! And I am wondering if we won't see a variant of the Itanium as they roll out the full blown 64 bit OSX and the big Macs!!!![:)]

There are 1080p displays, they are just not all that common.

Digital rights management does not concern me, as I do not pirate movies or games.

The differences in the two consoles are indeed not all that big, which is why I choose the PS2 based on what game franchises have always developed primarily for Sony.

It will be the PS3 for me. I have

enjoyed both the PS1 and the PS2. The few times I have tried to

play an xbox, I hated it....Just a personal preference...

I find it interesting that the only vote for the new xbox written about here has nothing to say except "babyyyyy"

How about someone to extol the virtues of the machine, or the original xbox for that matter...

I too will wait to buy the console until it has drastically reduced in price...

DVD

players for instance...How many of you spent hundreds of dollars on a

DVD player that has less features than the $40 units available @ Wally

World. It takes some patience, but I almost always come out ahead

by not purchasing new technology when it is new.

And I also believe you are upset with yourself because you dont have

the means to purchase any console..........You are right, Waiting is

hard...I am happy I dont have to.

Yes, I know what xbox live is. I am a life long gamer. I do have the means to purchase any system I want, I choose not to be a guinea pig, so sue me...

And yes, the only thing you had to say about your console or its online capability is babeeee!!

For someone who loves his PS2, and hated the xbox the few times I played it, how about some real reasons for me to consider the new xbox console, instead of flaming me and acting like I insulted a family member....

It's no wonder this area of the forum is so dead...[:'(]

• 3 weeks later...

I personally prefer NREV. Why? The list just goes on and on. Lets talk

about the obvious things that PS3 and X360 won't have. The most popular

one off the bat is the Revolution's download feature, which allows you

to connect to Nintendo and download

NES, SNES and N64 games. I heard a lot of people say that they want a

PS3 because it is backwards-compatible with PS2 games and NREV does

not. That is not true, NREV WILL be able to play GC games, and

(downloaded) NES, SNES and N64 games for that matter.

NREV also

has the most games I am SO looking forward to when NREV comes out,

especially the new Super Smash Bros coming out. mush1e.gif The NREV is more... carryable... than the refrigerator-looking PS3 and soda-machine X360. It would be awesome taking the NREV on a fieldtrip. mush1n.gif The NREV will have my favorite classic characters like Mario, Link and Samus. mush1a.gif

The NREV is CHEAPER! I do not need a game console with an HD or a super

powerful video card, NREV's graphics are already revolutionary. Ok so

the $500 PS3 and X360 has better technology, big deal. Sony is trying

to wipe out it's competitors by making the most tech-filled console.

Actually, the PS3 itself costs $2000 to make because it is so powerful,

and they try to sell it for $500 as a desperate attempt to wipe out Nintendo.

So Sony is losing (A LOT) of money. For every thousand consoles they

sell, it will cost them $1,500,000! If they keep doing what they are

doing they will surely go bankrupt eventually. As for Nintendo, instead of making the most POWERFUL console, they go for creativity, originality, and games. If the Nintendo

DS didn't have a touch screen and be as expensive as the PSP, would it

be out-selling PSP as we speak? (Well, I'm the only one speaking,

actually.) Of course not... at least I don't think so.

Before we were even introduced to the PS3 and crap, Nintendo had only 10% of the video game sales, yet it was making as much money as Sony, video-game wise. Why? Nintendo is doing the smart thing, making more money, losing less. Nintendo

is NOT childish! The PS2 has dozens of bloody, gorey, murderous games,

which Jack Thompson is now trying to ban, and SEQUELS to those bloody,

gorey, murderous games. BIG DEAL! It does NOT make the NREV childish.

If you dig mindless shooter games, go for it, but it doesn't make Nintendo

childish. Sony is actually a bit immature for making "AWESOME! I GET TO

USE A PLASTIC BAG TO SUFFOCATE VICTIMS!" games. As long as the games

are fun, I play them... and SSBM is the definition of fun. mush1n.gif

Also, if a parent was deciding which console to buy for their child,

they would more than likely buy the mushroom-stomping Mario console and

not the "OMIGOD! HEADSHOT!" console. Nintendo has 100 years of experience. They know whats bad, and they know whats AWESOME!

Also the controller is way innovative. I mean, what would you rather

play an FPS with, an analog stick or a gun-like controller? You can

also play tennis, play baseball, use lightsabers, fish, and WHACK

PEOPLE! If people would grow balls and actually play games they enjoy

instead of paying attention to other people laughing at them for

playing Nintendo games, then Nintendo would wipe out Sony and Microsoft

entirely, except for the hi-tech graphics freaks. Anything PS3 can do,

NRev can do too, but not the other way. Besides, I'm pretty sure that

this console will be packed with your lust for blood and gore. ^_^

So to make a long story short, GO NINTENDO!

Heh, well I don't know about you guys, but I'm going for Nintendo

Revolution. I'm not really going for the "most powerful system" or a

"tricking out entertainment center", I just want a console that

concentrates on games mostly. While it has the option

of playing DVDs, the 20 years of downloadable content (yeah I know

they're not free),Wi-Fi Online play, and a Innovative controller, along

with some pretty good support at the moment, I really see no reason not

to get it.

And yeah, a lot of people say that

Nintendo is kiddie and Sony/Microsoft are Mature. Then again, a good

number of those same people say that Games + Blood + Sex = Mature

games. And even when Gamecube has mature games, no one really cares.

Resident Evil 4, one of the contenders for Game of the Year, didn't go

over 500,000 copies (that I know). I bet you that i'll outsell god of

war when it's released on PS2 with lower-quaility graphics.

Yeah, call me a nintendo fanboy, because I don't really like microsoft

or sony. I do realize that Nintendo has made a LOT of mistakes;I never

said they were perfect. But I still perfered my N64 over playstation

because of the solid games(and better controller IMO.).

Viva La Revolution!

<.< >.> *puts up flame shield, just in case*

vyzer an paynekiller are the same guy...

Revolution is going to kill nintendo. They will (hopefully) go to

software only after this failure. Their hardware has left much to

be desired since the N64.

XBOX 360 is going to rock. From what I've been reading,

developers are saying that XBOX 360 and PS3, once you get down to the

games, are capable of about the same level of graphics. Add to

that the XBOX's ability to stream hi-def content (movies, tv shows)

over your network, and it's outstanding Live service, and I'm buying

one on launch day.

This is not to say I won't buy a PS3....I will. If there is a

game that I want to play on a system, I usually fork up the cash.

I currently own a PS2, XBOX, dreamcast, Gamecube. I have owned a

NES, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP,

Playstation, Genesis. All had great games.