Locked - JBl Studio Monitors

tillmbil

I sold both JBL and Klipsch when the 4311 was a current product.

The bass goes deeper on the 4311, everything else on the Heresy is better. The Heresy II has a bit of midrange color I don't care for (a crossover problem).

The 4430 is a great speaker, hard to beat. If you like it loud, I would use a 100W (or larger) amp on these (93dB/W).

Bought a pair of 4311's in the early 80's and still own them. Had the tweeters re-coned 2 years ago. In my experience they need to have some serious volume before they begin to exhibit their capabilities, which was fine when I got them.

Last year I ran the 4311's in the same place and with the same equp where a pair of Khorns went (when they finally arrived). Again at volume they were nice, but nowhere near the Khorns (as you'd expect). Got my 1st pair of Heresy's about 6 mos ago. They were of the same vintage as my 4311's. Frankly I think the Heresy is a better sounding speaker thru a full range of volume.

I have a ton of respect for JBL product. Just got their 2404 super tweets, wow. Cut my teeth on a pair of D130s running solo...still have those too (they're 16 ohm). They're all well built and have clean sound.

I can almsot guarantee the crossovers in the 4311s need to be 'freshened'.

Removing them won't be real easy. I was going to pull mine out, but the

woofers are 'stuck' a bit. The crossovers have screws holding them in

place, located behind the thin aluminum 'foilcal' on the front.

Fortunately, the aluminum is now loose on mine. The adhesive kinda gave

way a long time ago. Just haven't wanted to mess with getting the

woofers loose.

If anyone needs the tech sheet on the crossover I can post it here.

Bruce

In '83 I was stationed in Germany and went to Robbinson Barracks Post Exchange to buy a pair of Cornwalls. Unfortunantly, the last pair was sold with no replacement in sight, along with the last pair of Heresys. So I settled on a new pair of JBL L112 Century II 3-way monitors, which literally blew away the Bose 901s, along with comparable models from Infinity, Polk Audio, and AR. These loudspeakers served me well for almost 18 years...if it wasn't for me owning my dad's Cornwalls, I'd probably still have my L112s. I did buy a pair of Magnepan MGLR1s just before aquiring the Cornwalls; now they were detailed, but you couldn't drive them hard like I could my trusty L112s (AC/DC never sounded better through my JBLs)![H]

post-11084-13819269686754_thumb.jpg

"hey DJK, can you elaborate on the crossover problem on the heresey II? I own a pair and as much as I want to like them I cannot...perhaps I can mod a bit to get them where they should be, in some system in my house. thanks, tony "

Try this:

Wire an inductor with the same value as the woofer inductor in series with a cap the same value as the one across the woofer and wire an L-pad (terminals 2 and 3) in series with that. Place the LCR trap in parallel with the woofer.

Start out with the L-pad at max resistance (full CCW). Play pink noise through the system and adjust the L-pad untill the 'howl' in the midrange goes away. Replace the L-pad with a fixed resistor of the same value. The wire gauge of this inductor is not important. If you have replaced the stock inductor with a high-zoot one, use the stock one in the LCR trap.