Bought a pair of old Polk's at a garage sale...Pleasantly suprised.

fletcherkane

I bought a pair of Polk Monitor 5jr+ speaks cheap at a garage sale today. (10 bucks for the pair.) Hooked them up to an old two channel receiver, and was pleasantly suprised. Nice imaging, and suprisingly good bass response out of a pair of bookshelfs. Anybody else have any experience with Polk?

Probably will end up selling them to support my Klipsch habit.....

Those Polk 5jr's were made when Polk was on top of its game! That whole series of speakers was awesome. I found a pair of RTA-12C's for my sister in law for $100. I cleaned them all up and they sound awazing, I owned a pair myself in the late 80's just before buying my Forte's. Really nice speakers, and for $10 you can't go wrong.

I've never owned them, but understand that they have a very smooth response. Not nearly as efficient as Klipsch. Kind of a 'softer', mellower tone with that dome tweeter.

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Cerwin Vegas from an ex gf's friend who's moving. Trying to get the model numbers- she says they weigh about 75 pounds each and have 17" (?) woofer. Could be massive!

Michael

I gave my Polk RT4's and RT55i's to my brother so he could get a home theatre started and he is really happy with them. I never had a chance to hear them with a good amp just a so so receiver but they did have tons of bass and an overall smoother almost closed in sound to them. I would guess they would sound much better with a good amp.

One nice thing about Polks is they have very nice looking speaker cabinets and drivers. I would still like to hear the LSI series with a good powerful amp.

Polks are great speakers. I remember going to a friend's home freshman year of college and us sitting down to his dad's Polk home theater with the movie "Twister." Man, were we blown away!

I had actually heard of Polk long before I'd heard of Klipsch, and at one point wanted Polks as my first speakers.

Same here. I had a set of Polk bookshelves in a bedroom system

and was going to go with Polks for the HT. Then I A/B'd them

against the Heresys, and of course I changed my mind. Nothing

against the Polks -- I think they were good, honest little

speakers. I just like the Klipsch sound better.

I owned many a Polk speaker and enjoyed everyone of them. They don't crank like the Klipsch, but they sure do have incredible imaging. Love the warm midrange and smooth top end. The sound is very open even at near field listening. Yes they do have great bass to as long as you don't blast them to loud. Nice low to middle volume speaker. I really like their center channels. Funny thing is i'm more partial to Klipsch for music, and sort of liked Polk better for movies at first. That all changed when I started buying dvd concerts. Plus the low distortion with loud passages. For things like regular tv I miss them a great deal. I have since then tweeked my system to where my Klipsch setup is just as sweet at lower volumes. Polks don't mind cheap electronics that's a nice bonus. I never actually got to hear Polk's with some really descent power. So I imagine they would be quite a contender.