I've been so blind

kev313

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kharma/sub.html

This review is funny for many many reasons, but here is my fave, cut 'n pasted from the text:

Is the integration of the sub to the main speakers really that easy? What parameters should I consider beyond this setup to get even more from the sub? Out of curiosity, I called up Yamada-San of Zanden Audio. He told me that for some unknown reasons, he finds odd numbers in digital volume controls to always sound better than even numbers. (He also finds odd-number channels in airlines to sound clearer than even number channel.) He believes the remote control of the Kharma subwoofer is a digital volume hence I should try to compare 1V and 3V input level values while experimenting with the amplitude level at -1, -3, -5, -7 etc. Were there in fact any audible differences between odd and even number? Yes but in a very subtle way. Energy release with odd-number settings seemed to flow more naturally. I finally ended up with a setting of 3V for the input level, -5dB for loudness, and high and low pass respectively at 15 and 60Hz, both at 6dB slopes. Then in August, I had an opportunity in Taipei to meet digital guru Thierry Heeb of Anagram Technology. We had a long chat on this interesting observation by Yamada-San. Thierry believes such subtle changes are real because the digital coding of even and odd numbers is different. But I don't want to further expound on my ignorance in these matters for which there are many technically sophisticated explanation beyond my ken.

[:o]

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kharma/sub.html

We had a long chat on this interesting observation by Yamada-San. Thierry believes such subtle changes are real because the digital coding of even and odd numbers is different.

[:o]

Yes, having that LSB set will get you every time. [:D] I'm with

filmboydoug. If it doesn't go to 11, I'm not interested...

1x1.gif

I'm taking note of this to add to my vast base of audiophile knowledge.

For example, next time I'm in a boutique audio store, I'll be sure to display my seasoned audiophile wisdom in front of the sales person... watching to make sure they know their stuff.

"Would you mind dialing the volume in to the next odd number please."

Have we got a smiley with it's nose in the air?