OT: Corvette Z06

Zealot125

God!, that's such a hot looking car. I've wanted a Vette Z06 for years now, and that will be my next car as soon as I can afford to ditch my Explorer (albiet, heavily modified and fun).

While many things have been improved upon (100hp up from the previous engine, anyone?), I gotta admit I still like the old bodystyle better. The Modena ripoff lights just irk me.

I dont know how long it has been out, but check it out! Opinions anyone? Has anyone taken one for a test drive?

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/

Yep, been reading about it in Autoweek, off and on for the past few months they've leaked a tid bit or two about the car. Then 2 weeks ago the whole story. The editors took it for a few spins around one of Formula One's most famous circuits, Spa.

GM's target to beat was the Porche 911 Turbo, and they came mighty close. (Dollar value aside) The porche still edges it out, most noteably in the handeling department. But the Z06 comes very close. There will be no convertable available. For just under $70 grand, you get 7.0 liters (rated @ 18mpg), and a 0-60 mph time of 3.7sec.

Personally, it is IMO, the best looking vette to be produced in 43years. GM finally ditched those crappy flip-up headlights. But, if I had my choice....Porche man, Porche!!

I am pretty sure that that article was the corvette C6 z51 performance

package vs the porsche 911 turbo, not the Z06. I am not sure

though but I read that article if not a similar in road and track BTW I

think you mean Road and track

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=1652

because autoweek has nothing about the new Corvette Z06. I could

be wrong though. The numbers seem to back me up though. The

porsche has 415 ft-lbs of torque vs the Vette Z06's 470. 3505 lbs is

the porshe's curb wt. vs. 3132 lbs. of the vette. The vette Z06

also gets 16/26 mpg with the stick. not 18. The Corvette Z06 is

simply more car for less money. The numbers heavily suggest that this new vette will tear up the P 911 T.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101520 This article

puts the Z06 in a whole different league than the P 911 T, comparing

it, albeit in name only, to the viper, ford GT, Ferrari

Maranello. Im not sure what article you read. This site

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html shows

that the new vette beats out the P911T significantly in times.

Zealot, trust me, it's the real deal, the Z06. I've been watching/reading the same AutoWeek rag, they claim the new Z06 has it hands down on anything under 150K or so. Check AutoWeek.com, I found pics, but didn't have time to check for the story, you may have time if you're that curious. I've never been a big Vette fan, I've always liked stuff from Germany, but for the price, this is truly a giant killer. As an added plus, it does well enough on the EPA test loop to avoid the Gas Guzzler tax. HOW COOL IS THAT!?!?! for a car that goes 0-60 in 3.7 seconds???

Well, since you've posted again since I first started writing my reply to your last post, I'll just say this:

I won't claim to know what/who is better on someone elses tests. If/when I can ever afford to be behind the wheel of any of these cars, I'll let you know my opinion. Until then, all I can do is read and assume they know what I want in a car. Some manufacturers seem to have an interest in how the vehicle turns into a corner and where/how the weight is shifted as that happens. Some others seem to be more interested in where would be the most ergonomic location for a cupholder as to not deter in/ergress to the rear seat. Granted, there is a middle point; I'm voting for no heater or radio.

AND!!!! Tom, you must surely know a few guys that are running a car here or there on a track or two? Sure, the state boys, with their training, are an easy lock on your average joe with an Impala or Intrepid, but do you really think that car, with equally trained drivers, would keep up with a newer sports car, to say nothing of the high performance cars available to the general public these days? Assuming you have the $$$ for the entrance fee.

Champagne----Well with equal drivers a high performence sports car will outrun the Vic, sure.

But most troopers have good training and those police Vics do handle pretty well and run strong, I know, I owned a couple of recent H&P package Vics. I figure that on the twisties a trooper in a Vic will outun the average guy in any car.

Long ago my wife had a wealthy boyfriend with a Porsche 911, when the fella bought the car he flew out to California and had lessons at a high-performence driving school out there. That's the way to do it.

I don't know what her current boyfriend drives. ;-)

No, it is a 2006 Z06. Autoweek issue Sept. 5, just last week. Check out their website for some cool pic's. Beautiful car, I do like it. Like I said, best I've seen in over 40 years. This Z06 vette was the most dosile to date, but the editor's still claims it to be a bit of a handful to drive, just a little bit. That is what really separates IMHO, a porche turbo (996 and later) from the Z06 Vette. Joe blow can drive any 996 or later turbo porche and keep the paint where it belongs. The traction controll in the porches is very sophistocated compared to anything GM has produced.

The only real gripe I've read about the Z06 is road noise. Reportedly quite bad. In GM's effort to keep the car's mass down, they sacrafised a lot of insulation. But, if your a car nut, as any Z06 owner will more than likely be, who really cares about road noise.

There are many stock sports cars that will out run any trooper car that I've ever seen, HOWEVER, no matter what the car or how good the driver, it will never out run the police radio. If a cop gets a make on your vehicle, your toast.

Some more spec's right out of the article:

The 2006 Z06 lapped the Nurburgring 16 seconds faster than the 2006 Z51 Equip'd C6. That is a significant difference. The Z51 Vette doesn't even touch a normally aspirated Porche S model, given the same driver of course.

Some more goodie's:

505 max. HP @ 6700rpm

470 ft-lbs max. torque available at 4800 rpm

1/4 mile @11.7se and 125mph

198mph top speed

1.04g lateral resistance

Gas Mileage 16/24mpg

All at the starting base price of $65,800....NOW THAT'S BANG FOR THE BUCK!, and considerably less than an new Porche Turbo.

Yep and those specs are before you add a Hypertech III, Borla Exhaust, and a K&N Typhoon Cold Air Induction system.

There are tons of killer roads to test that car on here in VT talk about twisting and turning and constantly having the wheel moving. The Notch in Smuggler's Notch is grueling.

I've driven them in a hot rodded Mazda MX-3 V6, BMW M3, and a highly modded '94 Camaro with lots of Hotchkis and Energy suspension components not to mention the Falken racing tires. Fun, fun, fun.

Road noise that is what the $5K Alpine aftermarket system is for!

The only thing I don't like is the body. I would remove it and install either a 69 body or a new Viper body.

The technical aspects of the engine & drivetrain are just fine. The "chevette" plastic interior has always reminded me of an old Crosley or Henry J. Nowhere near the quality of a $70k car. I have owned a 1967 big block, 1968 L-88, 1969 small block, 1979 small block, and restored about 8 of them. Actually the Viper has the best interior.

JJK

Tom-----Yeah, but bikes don't feel as fast as cars that are slower, not in my experience. Perhaps it's the way you sit on a bike, especially sport bikes. I remember back in the old days that Sportsters, with their sit-up-and-beg seating, FELT quicker, had more punch in the gut than faster "crouch" bikes like Moto Guzzi Sports, Ducati 750s and Laverda 1000s.

Tom-----Yeah, but bikes don't feel as fast as cars that are slower, not in my experience. Perhaps it's the way you sit on a bike, especially sport bikes. I remember back in the old days that Sportsters, with their sit-up-and-beg seating, FELT quicker, had more punch in the gut than faster "crouch" bikes like Moto Guzzi Sports, Ducati 750s and Laverda 1000s.

Yeah Tom.....there's some truth there. When I had my ZX9R Ninja, there were plenty of times when it didn't feel like I was really boogying all that fast until I check my rear view mirror and my friend following me in the twisties was no where in sight and my rear tire had rubber balled-up to the edges! [:o]

OTOH, I've ridden a couple of newer generation sport bikes (ZX10R & Hyabusa) that did impart a sense of speed. Not only that, but they let you know real fast that they have more capability than you, as a mere mortal, will EVER have. And should you lose your mind and think you're "all that", they will promptly lay the smack down on your insolent ***!

Corvettes.......who needs them.[;)][:P]

Tom