TEAC A-L700P w/Denon AVR-3805?

ajcllc

I think that would be better off with the Denon internal amplification in this case, unless you like weak bass response.

I would not spend money on a receiver if your goal is to run outboard amplification, get a dedicated A/V Preamp/Processor instead. You can get a NAD T163 new for around $1300 or a used B&K Ref 50 for $1500 used, the heck with a receiver!

There are much better choices for outboard amplifiers in the used and new markets. Rotel, Carver, Yamaha, DBX, Onkyo, Audio Dynamics, B&K, Denon all come to mind. Don't waste your time with toy amplifiers, get one with a large torrodial power supply and large supporting capacitors you won't be sorry.

The bottom line is those amps don't have the balls to support the dynamics and bass response required from demanding DVD soundtracks when running at or even close to reference levels. The bass reponse sounds like someone beating the bottom of a metal pan with a wooden spoon.

I guess it all depends on how much that you want to spend.

Going with three two-channel amplifiers would be awesome, but you could also go with a five channel and a two channel, or a seven channel amplifier.

I run two configurable amplifiers that can be run in 2, 3, or 4 channel mode. One runs in 3-channel and the other in 4-channel.

If you are running a Denon receiver and want matching Denon amplifiers, the POA 5300 and POA 5200 would work nicely, the POA 4400 mono blocks are also nice.

Lots and lots of choices.

A B&K 125.7 would be an excellent choice as well, but it all depends on how much you want to invest. Since you have a receiver already you can add amplifier's in phases to ease the strain on your pocketbook.

A forum member was running a pair of the Teac's and I brought him over an Audio Dynamics (ADC) B-200 2, 3, 4-Channel Power Amplifier that I picked up for like $150 and the difference from the Teac's running off his Yamaha receiver was not subtle!

Well my choice would be the B&K 200.7 S2 that lists for $3498 and can be had on AudioGon for $2400 or so delivered from American Theater. Just call them, they will work with you. It is all the amplifier you will ever need, and best of all it sounds fabulous with Klipsch. This is the amplifier I would use if I could get my DBX BX1's sold, but I am reluctant to do so due to their rarity, performance and capabilities. I just got a quote from them last week as I was interested in one myself. B&K's customer service is top notch and they are quick to respond and you can talk to live people on the phone, remember that!

My second choice would be the Sherbourn 7/2100A which is seven true mono block amplifiers housed in a single chassis with dual power cords and weighs in at 115lbs which makes the Aragon 2007 almost laughable at a mere 40lbs.

The reason the Sherbourn is my second choice is that it was reported to me by a forum member that he found the Sherbourn a little noisy with the efficient Klipsch speakers

The Gemstone Blue Diamond Amplifier is also another good choice.

Alot of people also seem to like the Sunfire Multichannel amplifiers. Best to go out and listen to some if possible. My area dealers are lame and don't have much good stuff on the floor.

Ah -- Andy, meet Charles.

Charles, Andy is looking for an Academy -- didn't you have one for sale?

I was thinking if someone already had a good sub, a trio TEAC's would be a very effective way to build a great sounding HT very quickly and inexpensively. I listen to mine more than I care to admit.

I did Dean, I traded it to PopBumper (Chris) for a pair of WO Heresy II's that I had actually sold him sometime ago but he was no longer using due to upgrade progression.

I think there was an Oak one on ePay, no telling what it will sell for but they have actually been selling the $500 range as of late.

There are forum members here with Academy's that they are not using. Contact Coytee I think he has three black ones and RPlace also had a few as well. Someone should be able to hook him up with one.

I diasagree with Frzn. I use a the Teac amp with a pair Of Altec 605s and dynamics and bass are fine. Of course much depends on the efficiency, output and bass response of the speakers. The Teac would run out of gas quickly with small, inefficient speakers.

That said the I think the best and cheapest thing to do would be to get one of the JVC or Panasonic chip-amp receivers. These things sound superb and I know DIY hornies who are "way out there" that are getting excellent results with them and throwing over conventional "dreadnought" SS and tube amps to use them.

"

I diasagree with Frzn. I use a the Teac amp with a pair Of Altec 605s and dynamics and bass are fine."

Agreed, they have no problem at all running my L/C/Rs (LaAltecs?)

to well above THX Reference Level. They are high passed though as I run

a pair of subs for L/R bass material.

As soon as I get the wiring finished I'm going to try bi/tri-amping and will be using (3) Teacs to do it.

Shawn

I heard them on '73 Cornwalls and Heresy's and the bass response is weak! Period.

Perhaps it had something to do with the Yamaha receiver performing as the preamplifier. The midrange and highs were respectable but the bass response that was there was lacking and without punch.

Guys it's a $120 amp for crying out loud the B&K 200.7 will eat three of them up and spit the plastic out.

Enjoy your toy disposable amplifiers. Yuk.

Hey easy one my preamp.[:)]

There really is no comparing the power in bass between the two. I have tried several times. The b-200 p!sses all over it. I really wish that werent the case because I have two of them!

the analogy that comes to mind is when Vader is choking one of his Generals from the other side of a star destroyer.

Frzn----Well if my hi-fi belief structure were built around the more is more notion I might think chip-amps were toys. But I know guys who have Monarchys, Bernings, Conrad Johnsons and AudioNotes sitting in the closet while running DIY gain-clones, SIs, JVCs and other cheap chip-amps. I've heard too many such systems that sounded very good to dismiss this new trend in amps.

For instance nobody would call my pal Kurt's 8-18" subwoofer driven by a chip-amp receiver bass-shy, no siree-bob.

I'm thinking that now amplification is a done deal, like table salt. If you want table salt it doesn't matter what brand, it's all the same. Now amps are like that; you want to amplify you get a chip-amp. There's a job of work to be done and they do it.

Now if you want flavored salt that's a different deal.

Of course all is based on preference.

Kind Regards