Advice needed on transporting K-horns in a pick-up truck.

Dmitry

I am elated to inform y'all that I just bought my first [and hopefully last] pair of K-Horns, in large part due to Forum's own Mr. 3dzapper giving me a heads up.

As it happens with most K-horn purchases I will have to pick up the speakers in person.

What helps is that I have a pick-up truck. I also have tie-downs and padded blankets and a furniture dolly.

I will appreciate any advice on how to load them onto the said truck. Hopefully I will have a helper.

Thanks and wish me luck!

Take the top sections off and wrap them in their own blankets. Take the side grills off and do the same. Secure the bass bins close to the cab in the upright position with the fronts facing each other with lots of padding between them. That would be my plan of attack. Drive slow, have a great time, ask the seller for any paperwork he might have on them. Ask about original boxes...worth a shot.

Man you are in for a treat. Wish I could be there to see the simile on you face the first time you fire them up in YOUR house.

Congrats and enjoy!

what rplace said.

take along a good straight blade screwdriver and pair of pliers.

you'll need to pull the top cabs off, need the srewdriver to unhook the

wires from the crossover to the bassbin. The tops and side grills

are held on with wingnuts, but I needed a plir of pliers on two of

them, they were really stuck. Be sure to mark the side

grills so you can put them back on the same speaker.

The tops should have the serial numbers matching the bottoms. I

tied the bassbins together face-to-face with an quilt in between,

strapped them down to the pickup with nylon straps you can get at

HD. The uppers I just wrapped up in old quilts or comforters,

tied up with duct tape, laid in the bed of the pickup. Don't get

carried away with sports car driving techniques and you'll be fine.

Even separated, the speakers are very heavy, take somebody with you.

If you are going to be traveling a distance with them forget using the bed of the truck. Rent an enclosed trailer from U-Haul instead.

I picked up my first pair of LaScala's in the back of my truck. It was only 2ish hours away. On the way back it looked like it was going to start raining but luckily it held off till I got home. I picked up my other set of LaScala's about 10 hours away. Didn't want to risk the rain on them so I rented a trailer from U-Haul instead which worked great and had more then enough room. I think it was around $90 for the trailer for the day.

Shawn

Yeh, a helper would definitely be good.

I picked up my Khorns and transported them in a 5x8 U-Haul trailer. (that's Y'all Haul, if you are from Arkansas)

The trailer is tall enough so as not to require taking off the tops.

The floor is also low enough that I could unload them by myself.

Definitely removes weather concerns that would remain with an open truck.

Congrats on scoring the Khorns! You will love the way they load the room with sound.

Didn't want to risk the rain on them so I rented a trailer from U-Haul instead which worked great and had more then enough room. I think it was around $90 for the trailer for the day. Shawn

I went a step further and rented a minivan on my last pair of Khorns... cost me 75$US including the extra "cross border" fees from Canada. Plenty of room... laid them both face down. BTW, it was sunny on my way down, and poured cats and dogs on my way back. Talk about luck... [:)]

Bring some padded covers...

Rob

I am elated to inform y'all that I just bought my first [and hopefully last] pair of K-Horns, in large part due to Forum's own Mr. 3dzapper giving me a heads up.

As it happens with most K-horn purchases I will have to pick up the speakers in person.

What helps is that I have a pick-up truck. I also have tie-downs and padded blankets and a furniture dolly.

I will appreciate any advice on how to load them onto the said truck. Hopefully I will have a helper.

Thanks and wish me luck!

I purchased my khorns in Dallas, about 700 miles round trip for me. The owner helped carefully lift the bottoms in the back of my truck.

The real work for me was getting the bottoms ready prior to putting them in the back. We wrapped each one up in U-haul blankets, about 6 blanket per, and used duct tape (I love that stuff) to keep the blankets secured. 6 blankets was just a little over-kill, but it gave me peace of mind. I used tie-downs, like the type used for motorcycles, to secure the speakers in the truck, and to keep it from sliding around. You never know when you'll have to make an emergency stop or manuver.

Take a piece of styrofoam with you to keep the speakers from rubbing-up against the cab, it'll help prevent any veneer damage from the force of the tie-downs pushing the cabinets against the bed lip at the front of the truck. My truck is a 4 door GM, so the 2 tops fit nicely in the back with the seats folded down. It was a little tricky manuvering the tops to fit through the door opening, but I managed okay.

Good Luck, and good listening....