Which is the better option accoustically

m00n

Ah.. Good question, guess it's not very obvious when you look at it now that you mention it.

I run RC7s as my surrounds. This is a side view of the wall in brown, and the RC7. My RC7s are about 5' up the wall, as they are now, they are butt up against the wall which is bad due to rear porting. So, i need to build cubbies behind them so they can breath as well as tilt them down towards the seating position.

Does that help or do I need to draw a better picture?

I agree with you both. Option B is better. It has been my original design, but was hoping that someone would tell me that A would better. A will be easier to build.

There really is no way to try this without making it perminant. I have to bust into both the ceiling and wall framing so I need to ensure that I go with the best option from the get go.

I like option A better, because a lot of reflection is not good for side speakers, which is why many new music theaters are NOT symetrical. Corners with walls are good at the front of the image stage, not so good at the side and backs...

what size room is this?

I would venture to guess that any space behind the speaker should 'breathe' as well as possible. Option B is at least the same size along it's length without the 'pinching' of the cavity that Option A shows. I'd choose B, all other things being equal. If this is in drywall, you might opt for the simpler approach that wouldn't give the next homeowner a headache thinking 'what was this guy up to?'.

Since this is for RC7, it's probably not as highly critical as you make it out to be since it's fairly low frequencies. Even set to LARGE, there usually isn't that much LF info to the center. With any opening at all, it'll find it's way out. I used to have mine in the bottom of a wall shelf sectional. on a small angled shelf, with plenty of air space around it. Didn't sound bad or tubby at all.

Michael

Since this is for RC7, it's probably not as highly critical as you make it out to be since it's fairly low frequencies. Even set to LARGE, there usually isn't that much LF info to the center.

he runs em as his surrounds!

Yup, everyone is polorized into believing the RC7 is ONLY for center channel thus never think outside the box and realize just how potent the RC7s are for ther applications. [;)]

either way put some sort of sound deadening insulation underneath them.

B might be a better choice if it is flush with the bottom edge. Will you brace or drill holes to hold the top side to a certain angle? And your right, the RC-7 is very potent too. Especially when you use 4 of then vertically as you have for side fills, and one in the rears...OMG, THAT must be amazing!

WAIT!!!!!!!

One final thought.. why not just hang them somehow with high tension wires.?? The cabinet around them might color the sound...AND aren't they rear ported???? So they will need to allow for sound to escape in the rears to maximise the sound?

oops, guess I screwed up the second part of my response to this readers query.

I don't question the wisdom of using RC7's for surrounds at all. OTOH, are you only going to gain the thickness of the wall in building these 'in'? Seems like a lot of effort for the small gain in head space. Is there any other possible location for these surrounds or could you use another speaker due to your space requirements?

Michael

Moon, I take it these are side surrounds? Or are you already against the back of your room? If you're only 5.1 could they go on stands behind the seats? Somewhere here you had a diagram or photo of your room. Could you post it again here so we can wrap our brains around this problem?

Michael

Here is a side view of two different general ideas. My mindset has always been on option B, but, is option A just as good if not better?

Ok, just to complicate things i feel design "A" would be better than "B" on several levels.

- More room for the port to breath

- Asymetrical configuration reduces possible resonances..

- Avoids acting like an extended tuned port. Both setups will probably change the tuning of the speaker a little... as the mass of air enclosed in the space between the port and the room will do that. From speaker design we know that larger the cross-sectional area of a port the longer the port must be extended for each Hz change in tuning. Design "A" will have the smaller effect on this.

- Easier to build, therefore better chance of being solid, resonant free, and neat

The biggest draw back, I my opinion, is your drawing skills. [;)] Ok, I'm not sure if it was intentional... but the reduced outlet on top of the speaker in design "A" is it's biggest drawback versus design "B". BUT, if "B" fits on that wall, nothing keeps you from raising the top in "A" to be in-line with design "B".

I see little reason not to go with plan "A"

Rob

either way put some sort of sound deadening insulation underneath them.

B might be a better choice if it is flush with the bottom edge. Will you brace or drill holes to hold the top side to a certain angle? And your right, the RC-7 is very potent too. Especially when you use 4 of then vertically as you have for side fills, and one in the rears...OMG, THAT must be amazing!

WAIT!!!!!!!

One final thought.. why not just hang them somehow with high tension wires.?? The cabinet around them might color the sound...AND aren't they rear ported???? So they will need to allow for sound to escape in the rears to maximise the sound?

Well, it WILL be amaizing. Right now, I'm missing out on a lot due to them being pressed up against the wall as well as not being angled towards to seating position. Once they are mounted correctly with some air behind them, then... it will be amaizing. [6]

There really is no room to suspend them from wires. I really have no choice but to pull them into the walls so I can have some walking room beside my seats without people banging their heads. I need about 4 more feet of width to my room I know but....

oops, guess I screwed up the second part of my response to this readers query.

I don't question the wisdom of using RC7's for surrounds at all.

Michael

Long story. But in a nutshell

1) I have 4 side surrounds RS7s had too much spray to run that many, so I went with RC7s instead.

2) RC7s simply rock!