Tube Guys, Check Out What This 539C Went For WhooHooo!

Gilbert

That seems high but I haven't kept up with tester prices lately. I bought a very nice Hickok 752A a couple of years ago for about $250. Then spent about 100 having it serviced.

That ones a beauty though. You'll still want someone who knows what the hell they're doing take a look at it to make sure it's calibrated. Otherwise you'll always be second guessing your test results and if that's the case, why have a tester to begin with.

Edit: Looks like some testers are getting higher prices these days. Maybe I paid $350, I can't remember exactly. 752 and 539 are looking expensive.

I'm waiting for the guy to figure out how to prepare an official 2nd. Chance Offer through ebay. Then I'll get it. I've got too much tube equipment, so I think it prudent to invest in one. I know I can always turn around and sell it with minimal loss for a worse case scenario.

In Oklahoma City there's an old man that sold me some of my first tubes that has quite a bit of tube testing equipment. He mentioned that he's a member of a radio (as in Ham Radio) club and most of the members have testing equipment. I can ask him to give me hand and check out the calibration by comparison. Oh, boy....I'm excited just hope the guy doesn't relist, because those other guys will get their bids right this time, and I'm not going to bid as high as they did.

If you just must own a 539C, expect to pay somewhere around $1000, give or take a few hundred depending on it's condition. If you need accurate test results, there are many alternatives from Hickok that will cost far less. I use a Hickok 752. In case you wish to consider alternatives, here is some information from Suzy Chaffee's site.

http://www.tubewizard.com/recommended_Hickok_testers.htm

Klipsch out.

If you just must own a 539C, expect to pay somewhere around $1000, give or take a few hundred depending on it's condition. If you need accurate test results, there are many alternatives from Hickok that will cost far less. I use a Hickok 752. In case you wish to consider alternatives, here is some information from Suzy Chaffee's site.

http://www.tubewizard.com/recommended_Hickok_testers.htm

Klipsch out.

Suzy skis, sells Chapstick and talks tube testers!

Actually Kara calibrated my 752. I think she got too busy for that anymore though.