Replacing Woofer in La Scala

RJimG

I have to replace the woofer (K-43) in a La Scala Industrial speaker (LSIBFD, S/N 226293798, ~1993 purchase).

After talking with Tech Support and searching the forum, I think I know what to do. However, I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations to my procedure:

1. Remove screws in bottom of cabinet.

2. Pry off bottom cover.

3. Remove the screws attaching the woofer to the cabinet.

4. Disconnect wiring.

5. Replace gasket material in bottom cover, if any, with rope caulk.

6. Reverse steps 1-3 to re-install.

Any comments? Since the speaker is installed about 12 feet up the wall in our high school band hall, I have not taken down the speaker or opened the cabinet yet.

Thanks for your help.

If the industrial is built like a regular LS, yes. Reverse steps

3 and 4. I have openned my bass bins and sealed them up again

without removing and replacing the sticky black goo sealer. Seems

to be good for many removals; it compresses well when you replace the

screws.

I assume you are sure about the bottom access because you've seen

it. Mine is from the top under the crossover and it's pain to get

at the woofer screws.

A nice part is that the 4 screws that hold the woofer are bolts and

nuts, and the nuts stays in place. No worries there about

stripping wood.

Before you remove the screws from the bottom cover, use a utility knife and clean out the screw heads. This will make it much easier to get the screws out without stripping the philips screw heads.

Be very careful not to catch the wire coming off the woofer on anything, or step on it while you pick the woofer up off the ground. Ripping the wire off the speaker is not a good thing.

Make sure your new driver has the same thickness of flange around the edge where it mounts. I've noticed that Klipsch often has two layers of flange material, presumably to hold it out away from the motor board a little more.

Before you install the new woofer driver, run the bolts in and out of the nuts with some lubricating oil. Install the woofer driver while the speaker is laying on it's back. This way you can more easily line up the bolts that hold the driver in place. It is very easy to strip the threads of the nuts by cross-threading the bolts into them. If a bolt starts to go in hard, back it out and try again. Don't force them.

I also have had good luck with not having to replace the weather strip on the bottom cover.

Consider adding a fuse to the speaker to save future woofer replacements.

Test the speaker before you hang it back up 12' in the air!

Greg

The main cause of failure in a K43 is the tinsel leads.

I would remove the woofer and have your local re-cone guy look at it before buying a replacement. If that's all it is he can fix it for less than $20. If need be he can also re-cone it for about $60~$70.

What does a new one from Klipsch cost?

• 12 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2005 at 5:38 AM, RJimG said:

I have to replace the woofer (K-43) in a La Scala Industrial speaker (LSIBFD, S/N 226293798, ~1993 purchase).

After talking with Tech Support and searching the forum, I think I know what to do. However, I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations to my procedure:

1. Remove screws in bottom of cabinet.

2. Pry off bottom cover.

3. Remove the screws attaching the woofer to the cabinet.

4. Disconnect wiring.

5. Replace gasket material in bottom cover, if any, with rope caulk.

6. Reverse steps 1-3 to re-install.

Any comments? Since the speaker is installed about 12 feet up the wall in our high school band hall, I have not taken down the speaker or opened the cabinet yet.

Thanks for your help.

I would opt for using just more modern gasket material than using rope caulk...because if you ever have to do this again, that rope caulk will be one helluva mess to replace!

27 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I would opt for using just more modern gasket material than using rope caulk...because if you ever have to do this again, that rope caulk will be one helluva mess to replace!

Andy, you must be bored.....that thread is 13 years old.  But, you're correct, rope caulk is a mistake.