Marantz Turntable

Tom Adams

A guy here at work put an add on the board for a "Vintage Marantz Component Stereo System". So I called the guy and although he couldn't give me model no.'s (being at work), he did say that the system included a reciever, tape deck, equilizer, turntable, and "big floor standing speakers". So......

What I'm wondering is what any of you know about Marantz turntables since that's the piece I'm most interested in? I'll probably buy all of it since he's asking $200 for whole kit-n-kabootle.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Awwwww c'mon guys.....what's the deal with no responses? Is it because I don't hang out/post here very often therefore I've not paid my dues?[;)]

What if I made some wildass remark about tube amps or claimed that Paul Parrot and Tom Brennan were one in the same? Would that get a response?[:)]

Or is the silence because you've found out that I do, in fact, have a partial roll of M*nster Cable speaker wire?[:$]

Ok - I get the message......Marantz turntables are POS.[:(]

Tom

I bought a similar Marantz system in the mid 80's. The receiver/equalizer/tape deck was a one-piece plastic front unit. It also had a turntable and 2 floor speakers. The system also included a cabinet and cost around $800. Nothing fancy but it was fine for me for about 5 years until I could afford a better system.

Hopefully he has a nice vintage marantz receiver, get the model number of the receiver and check ebay priceing they usually bring good bucks and are also nice looking and sounding receivers. The marantz 6300 turntable is one of the better marantz turntables. Let us know what marantz model stuff he has and for 200 bucks it could be a steal.

I bought a similar Marantz system in the mid 80's. The receiver/equalizer/tape deck was a one-piece plastic front unit. It also had a turntable and 2 floor speakers. The system also included a cabinet and cost around $800. Nothing fancy but it was fine for me for about 5 years until I could afford a better system.

I sure hope that's not the case. When I spoke to him he was pretty clear about the components being separate pieces. Anywho....the dude is suppose to call me today with the model no.'s and I figure I can do some internet searching from there. I'm keeing my fingers crossed that I've stumbled across "a steal". OTOH.....things like this never fall into my lap - they always seem to happen to someone else.

Thanks guys (for humoring me). Will let ya know if it's a bust or a find.

Tom

Guys,

Hase anybody ever tried one of these? It's the model SLT-12. You would push the big knob down and the cartirdge would lift up. Turn it and it would move left or right. Full clockwise would retract the caretridge fully under the cover. The price was $295.00.I couldn't find a date on the catalog but I think it was built around 1955 - 1960.

Al K.

post-2934-13819271828006_thumb.jpg

Guys,

Hase anybody ever tried one of these? It's the model SLT-12. You would push the big knob down and the cartirdge would lift up. Turn it and it would move left or right. Full clockwise would retract the caretridge fully under the cover. The price was $295.00.I couldn't find a date on the catalog but I think it was built around 1955 - 1960.

Al K.

Al, that looks like the same animal. Not sure about the time line. (if you were there, you probably can't remember) As I remember, I got the thing new in '68 or '70.(?) And not late 70's. About the time of the 7T and Mod15's and 14 center.

Went to Empire shortly after that.

Regards,

Terry

Terry,

Yes, the same catalog I scaned that from shows the 7T, 8B, 9, and 10B.

If you pulled that little cover off you could see the gears down inside the thing. From the looks of it I remember thinking that the thing couldn't possibly work, and if it did, it would fall apart in a month! Another question I had: How could you possibly replace the cartridge when the time came?

Al K.

Terry,

Yes, the same catalog I scaned that from shows the 7T, 8B, 9, and 10B.

If you pulled that little cover off you could see the gears down inside the thing. From the looks of it I remember thinking that the thing couldn't possibly work, and if it did, it would fall apart in a month! Another question I had: How could you possibly replace the cartridge when the time came?

Al K.

Just been too long. But as I recall wasn't a big thing. Just difficult to mount perpendicular to the arm.

I was using the old Shure V15 I think.

Again, didn't use it for very long.

Terry

Al....Terry.....get your own damn thread. [;)] [;)] [:)]

Seriously though, in one word - BUST! [:'(]

The stuff was in an ok condition, but it was the Marantz of when you could buy the stuff at a Goodyear Tire store. The whole thing was worth $200, but all I was really interested in was the turntable, so I said no. My wife said I'd be better off putting that 200 bucks towards a new Pro-Ject or used Thorens or whatever.

Oh well.....nothing ventured - nothing gained.

Tom