Does a Philly Cheesesteak really have marinara sauce?

m00n

Just got a craving for a philly cheesesteak. Went to look at a recipe. The recipe calls for marinara sauce, but I don't recall there being any kind of tomatoe pasty sauce in them. is there some other kind of marinara sauce that is supposed to be used?

Yeah... I agree. Here is the recipe.

Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich

rec.food.recipes/Beth Wettergreen

4 crusty Italian Sub rolls (each approximately 6 long)

1 Tbsp. olive oil

10 ounces frozen steak (round or sirloin), partially thawed

1 Tbsp. olive oil

salt, pepper

1 yellow onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

1 clove garlic, crushed

2 Tbsp. olive oil

3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese

1-cup marinara sauce (canned)

In large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil until hot. Put sub rolls, split side down, in hot oil until crispy-brown on cut side only. Repeat until all four rolls are toasted and set them aside.

Slice partially thawed steak into very thin (1/4 inch) strips. This is much easier to do when the steak is frozen than if fully thawed.

Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in skillet, add steak and cook over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes until cooked through and just beginning to brown. Salt and pepper steak strips to taste and set aside. Keep them warm in skillet or on a plate.

Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a skillet. Saute onion, pepper and garlic slowly over low heat until onions are very soft and beginning to caramelize, about 5 minutes.

Grate the cheese. Heat the marinara sauce on the stovetop or in the microwave.

Assemble sandwiches:

Pile 1/2 of steak strips on a toasted sub roll. Top with 1/2 of onion/pepper mixture, 1/2 of the grated cheese, and 1/2 of the marina sauce. Repeat for all four sandwiches. Serve with Italian pickled peppers.

Yes, a Philly Cheesesteak should have sauce. Pizza sauce is the best. True connoisseurs of this essential food group, call it a Pizza Steak when served with the pizza sauce. Around Middletown Pa, were I became addicted to this delicacy, it was just called a Cheese Steak but always had the pizza sauce. Anyway, now I can't get a commercially prepared Cheese Steak with the sauce here in Arkansas. I therefore have to have with me a jar of Pizza Quick sauce when I get the urge for Cheese Steak. Having a Cheese Steak without the pizza sauce is like having a PB&J without the PB.

By the way, Sonics in this area have a pretty good "starter" for a real Cheese Steak called their "Footlong Philly Cheese Steak". I just have to bring it home and add the Pizza Quick sauce. Think I will run out an get one now.

Bob

Yes, a Philly Cheesesteak should have sauce. Pizza

sauce is the best. True connoisseurs of this essential food group, call

it a Pizza Steak when served with the pizza sauce. Around Middletown

Pa, were I became addicted to this delicacy, it was just called a

Cheese Steak but always had the pizza sauce. Anyway, now I can't get a

commercially prepared Cheese Steak with the sauce here in Arkansas. I

therefore have to have with me a jar of Pizza Quick sauce when I get

the urge for Cheese Steak. Having a Cheese Steak without the pizza

sauce is like having a PB&J without the PB.

By the way, Sonics in this area have a pretty good "starter" for a real

Cheese Steak called their "Footlong Philly Cheese Steak". I just have

to bring it home and add the Pizza Quick sauce. Think I will run out an

get one now.

Bob

That does sound good. You know, Sonic does have marinara sauce they serve with some items. Cheese sticks, I think. ummmmm.

Cheese Whiz is currently a favorite topping on cheesesteaks. Leave the red gravy off if you go "wit".

My wife is from Philly and hates cheesesteaks with cheesewhiz and always gets a pizza steak----red gravy, mozzarella, onions and green peppers. Luckily we have a cheesesteak place in Chicago run by people from Philly and my wife pronounces the place authentic and superior to Pat's and Geno's in South Philly. I agree.

Well to answer the first question Bob is correct it should be more of a pizza sauce and less of a marinara, but the marinara is a suitable substitute. And it depends if you get it from a real Italian Sub Shop. I grew up in Eastern PA and the Raendello family ran all/most of the real Italian Sub Shops in the area. The owner of our local one, Tony always used his home made Pizza sauce, the bun was toasted in the pizza oven. The onions, garlic, and steak were grilled together and chopped with a spatula as they cooked. He did not use bell peppers unless you ordered it in the garden (kind of like a regular or cold cut sub). He added sauce, cheese, seasonings (mainly salt and pepper) and put the toasted bun over it to finish grilling the sub.

James,

You would have to remind me how a real one is made. I still have vivid memories of watching the guy at "Two Guys" pizza chopping up all those things on the grill and adding the sauce to the huge pile when cooking was almost complete then piling all that on a toasted bun. Probably clogged up a couple of arterys just from the fumes. I need a good excuse to go back to PA. and indulge.

If it had not been for the accident at 3 Mile Island, I would not have been sent there and would likely have never had a Pizza Steak. There is a silver lining.

Bob

mOOn funny you should bring this up. I stayed in Philly for awhile, and my favorite cheese steak actually had the spaghetti sauce in it. I had so many but that's the one I remember the most. People would order them for me all the time from all over the city. From the obscure joints to the well known.. That style is the only one I remember liking alot. Maybe it's my preference for the Italian cuisine.

You know I only recall having the marinara from one source. It was my favorite, but maybe it's not your typical philly cheese steak. Maybe it was just a steak sub that came from Philly. You guys should try a Luigi's hoagie. They sell them all over the place, but you haven't never really had one untill you've had one fresh from the actuall little restaraunt and had it toasted there with hot hoagie sauce and onion. You can buy the sauce and just ad some "good" cheese, and your favorite ham ( if you can eat it, maybe replace it with some steak and have one killer steak sub for you folks who don't eat swine( i'm trying not to myself, but it's hard when you had one of these babies), your favorite hoagie roll, and wrap it in tin foil and pre heat the oven to 425 and cook it for 15 minutes ( give or take 3 minutes ovens vary). Sweet for any sandwich by the way if you like it hot and toasty with that glorious melted cheese. Now i've got to make a road trip. here is a link to Joe's sauce. I am gonna have to get some of the extra hot hoagie sauce.

http://www.dibellosales.com/index-DiBELLO.html

Couple of recipies from Luigi's

http://www.dibellosales.com/recipes.html

Sounds like there are many versions. I just remember stopping by these small little joints right on the street, well sidewalks down town Philly. All they had was a toasted bun, steak onions and bell peppers. Seemed as though it had some other goo on it but it's been some 17 years since I was in Philly.