Rf-7 as center channel

TerryG

Hello everyone! New to the forums, but not to Klipsch. Purchased a pair of rf-7's last month and now I have a chance for a single RF-7 at a good price. Is anyone using a 3rd RF-7 for their center channel? Was wondering what to expect versus the RC-7. Thanks, Terry

What you will notice is an absolutely seamless front stage with all the power and energy of your mains. It will be stellar, you won't be sorry you did it.

m00n here on the forum did the same thing awhile back perhaps he could post his impressions of changing from the RC-7 to the RF-7 up front. I am certain it is a step forward!

You are certainly on the right track and I certainly like your thinking.

You will need to rotate the horn 90 degrees

Yes

And to finish the package build a less wide and deeper(of the same internal volume) cabinet to house the drivers and crossover/posts.

why not just stick to normal floorstanding? It'd avoid the issues of off-axis comb-filtering and be a closer match to the other mains (considering that the polar response does change the sound of the speaker). M00n was able to make this work quite well in his room (just gotta make the bottom of the screen higher than the speaker - which shouldn't be an issue).

I doubt the off axis comb filtering would be that much greater than when using the RC 7 and the RF 7 is difficult to accommodate in a room as a center when set vertically. If he can do it that would be great. But I think in most applications if an RF 7 is set as a center the horizontal placement is just easier to work with.

Three RF-7s up front is a sure fire clue that you have a rare disease that is not treatable at this time. You can recieve therapy for your disease, but no known cure (known as Klipschaholics disease) by being a regular member on these boards. Good Luck with your therapy, you are in the final stages of the disease.......

But I think in most applications if an RF 7 is set as a center the horizontal placement is just easier to work with.

please. who the f*ck does that? no one, without first seriously modifying the front baffle, which usually does include rotating the horn.

but for those recommending rotating the horn, i'm pretty certain this poster intends to use the speaker out-of-the-box, vertically, as intended.

no horn rotation is necessary.

don't forget, the center channel speaker design is the compromise.

I doubt the off axis comb filtering would be that much greater than when using the RC 7 and the RF 7 is difficult to accommodate in a room as a center when set vertically. If he can do it that would be great. But I think in most applications if an RF 7 is set as a center the horizontal placement is just easier to work with.

The RC7 has a tapered array so only one of the woofers is performing midrange duty and then the other driver kicks in to fill in the low end, at which frequencies the drivers are close enough together to avoid comb-filtering. It really makes a big difference, but I suppose it's one of those things you won't really notice until you've heard the difference.

The final plans for the addition have not yet begun, but I don't see a problem with screen being above the speaker. It just seems a lot easier to do it ths way, than trying to do the rotation gig. Will most probably build a cabinet for storage/looks and incorporate the speaker within. Thanks, Terry

RF-7s will not do well in a cabinet, because they have large ports on their rear. The RB-75 has its port on the front and was designed for being used in a cabinet. The use of subwoofers will add enough bottom end to make the RB-75 work well.

The other possibility is the THX Ultra2 line of Reference speakers.

Bill

But I think in most applications if an RF 7 is set as a center the horizontal placement is just easier to work with.

please. who the f*ck does that? no one, without first seriously modifying the front baffle, which usually does include rotating the horn.

but for those recommending rotating the horn, i'm pretty certain this poster intends to use the speaker out-of-the-box, vertically, as intended.

Damn sivadselim that sure seems very harsh.

Yes, i have an RF7 center channel. I was never able to do an A/B comparrison between the RC7 and RF7 because I had replaced my RC7 while I had my theater torn appart for remodeling. I really like it, has a great full sound. Plus.... it looks very cool. [;)]

The RC7 has a tapered array so only one of the woofers is performing midrange duty and then the other driver kicks in to fill in the low end, at which frequencies the drivers are close enough together to avoid comb-filtering. It really makes a big difference, but I suppose it's one of those things you won't really notice until you've heard the difference.

Good point, I never used one (RC7), or spent much effort to demo one.

I to have 3 RF-7s up front. They blend so well together its not funny. I have heard both with and RC-7 and an RF-7 as a center and IMHO, the RF-7 blends better and sounds better. And to top that off I have 2 RF-3IIs in the back. Thats right, 5 towers and I love it. I am thinking of getting RF-7s to replace my RF-3IIs so it will be even more seemless. And to help the problems, later I plan on getting a projector and a screen. The only reason I am thinking of this is because I just got a job that pays me nearly twice as much as I use to make. Anyway, if you have the space and money, I would suggest it.

CD

[;)]

ok. i agree. coulda done without the expletive.

sorry, 4knee. [;)]

[;)]

ok. i agree. coulda done without the expletive.

sorry, 4knee. [;)]

No harm No foul

Uh, OK, so what is the final call here?

IF you had to, and IF it were available, could you put an RF-7 horizontally to act as a center channel?

Why couldn't you do this (use RF-7 horizontally)? IF you had to

do this, what is the down side, apart from moving the tweeter around?

K