Tube amps

33klfan

Tubes have a glorious mid-range, sparkling high end but warm, and flapbby bass compared to the typical solid-state receiver, even value packed Rotels. Small bookshelf loudspeakers require a powerful sub woofer. Next to loudspeakers, refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifiers are the best bargain in audio they can rival the most expensive solid-state and tube components and you get a lot of bang for the buck - but they also need powerful subwoofer support.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Your local dealer certainly is helpful, but take his advice with a grain of slat, he is simply casting about, trying to sell you something and help you grow into a good customer.[H]

If I were ever to decide on the Cayin, just out of curiosity, where is there a dealer in PA if any. If not in PA how do you buy this amp since it's a german company and mainly sold in Europe. I did take a look at one review and they look nicely built and good review, look like they cost 5 times the price of what they are.

You can get the cayin from Buzzy Bee. I think he still makes mods. on them. I think they are a Chinese amp actually. Look on www.audiogon.com . I saw a few listed the other day. As far as flapbby bass out of the Scott 299 I would have to disagree. With a rebuilt Scott to spec you are going to have to spend alot more cash to upgrade to better. You can buy most stock units for around 200.00 put 300.00 into rebuild total =500.00. A redone Scott is hard to beat sound wise for 500.00. Double that and a bunch more doors open up.

I am at this stage now. I would like to go to tube mono blocks and a nice pre myself.

At 18 you might consider starting down the DIY path. The Bottlehead Foreplay preamp would be a great start in learning how to build tube amps. The value of what you'd learn would exceed the price of the kit; and you would have a very good preamp as a result.

Also you'd be introduced to the Bottlehead forum which is a great resource.

Thanks for the advice tonyb, but i would need an amp to, since they are preamps. Are u talking about the bottlehead foreplay 3, because they don't make the 2 kit anymore. Iwant an amp to use my receiver as the pre or an intgrated tube amp. If u bought the kit, since it's a preamp, would u buy a tube amp to or..... Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the advice tonyb, but i would need an

amp to, since they are preamps. Are u talking

about the bottlehead foreplay 3, because they don't make the

2 kit anymore. Iwant an amp to use my receiver as the pre or an

integrated tube amp. If u bought the kit, since it's a preamp, would u

buy a tube amp to or..... Thanks for your help.

A quick clarification. Your receiver has a pre-amp, a power amp,

and a tuner in the same box. That is what a receiver is, an all in one

box unit. If you have pre-outs and inputs in your receiver you could

use it for either a pre-amp or a power amp. Many people find a bigger

difference in sound with a tube pre-amp rather than a tube amp. You

have many options to think about but in the end, you will spend lots of

money and will be chasing that elusive dream of a perfect system.

You might also want to look at some of the better names of the tube

era, Scott, Fisher, Dynaco. While these units will uasualy require

some shop time to bring them up to snuff, they do sound great. I have a

Fisher 400 that needs to be benched for caps and a tuneup. It has been

sitting in my equipment pile for a couple of years now and I

never seem to get around to getting it fixed. For the cost of shipping,

I will send it to you (or Craig (NOS Valves)) It needs some tubes but

the initial cost is right. It sounded very nice when I had it in

service. Some caps started to go bad and I put it on the shelf.

I realize my receiver has pre outs and main in, but i'm trying to make the two channel system so it doesn't use my nad's processing unless it doesn't matter. The only concern with like an integrated tube amp, cd player, and speakers, is will i be able to use the subwoofer i have, because i don't know how u would hook it up. If i use a tube preamp or tube amp, then i could probably use the subwoofer. Maybe i wouldn't need the subwoofer as long as the bass is deep enough with just the tube amp, speakers, and cd player.

I prefer the refurbished vintage integrated units for starting out -- at least you get a tube driven preamp section with them. The new stuff cheats you out of this, and it makes such a big difference. The Scotts also have a center channel input that works well with powered subs.

For those of you who are much more tube savy than I (which would be just about anyone), please correct me if I'm off-base here.

Since 33klfan mentioned that his main reason for going down the tube path (to the dark side [;)] ) was to see if there was a "night and day" difference in sound. Wouldn't a cheap way of achieving this possibly be via a Teac digital amp?? I mean, from comments I've read here by tube gear afficianados that have tried the Teac, it comes mighty close to delivering that "tube sound". No??

Anyway....it was just a thought.

Tom

As good as the new analogue class t digital amplifiers, like the $35 Sonic Impact 5066 integrated class-T and Red Wine Clari T digital amplifier (I have both), are for the money and they are good, they are not so much like a tube amplifier as they are unlike a typical solid-state amplifier on big ole horns, except for vintage harmon kardon twin-powered 430, 630, 730 and 930 receivers they have none of the harsh mid-range, while still having the snap, pop and crackle of solid-state.[H]

I realize my receiver has pre outs and main in, but i'm trying to make the two channel system so it doesn't use my nad's processing unless it doesn't matter. The only concern with like an integrated tube amp, cd player, and speakers, is will i be able to use the subwoofer i have, because i don't know how u would hook it up. If i use a tube preamp or tube amp, then i could probably use the subwoofer. Maybe i wouldn't need the subwoofer as long as the bass is deep enough with just the tube amp, speakers, and cd player.

The answer is SURE. You can add a sub line level if your sub has line level inputs. A Scott has a center channel output which the sub could use. Many vintage amps have this because 3 channel stereo was the thing back in the day.

As

good as the new analogue class t digital amplifiers, like the $35

Sonic Impact 5066 integrated class-T and Red Wine Clari T digital

amplifier (I have both), are for the money and they are good, they are not

so much like a tube amplifier as they are unlike a typical solid-state

amplifier on big ole horns, except for vintage harmon kardon

twin-powered 430, 630, 730 and 930 receivers they have none of the

harsh mid-range, while still having the snap, pop and crackle of

solid-state.[H]

For anyone who has a budget limited to $35 for an amplifier, wait another year

until your 6th birthday, and then get something better. Or, if you

must get something now, get your mom to drive you to a thrift store and

pick up *any* solid state receiver you find there. It will trounce the

Sonic Impact toy.

Yeah, i thought $35 was a joke. I looked at one he mentioned on the internet and it only weighs 1lb with batteries. What kind of piece of crap is that? Come on now. Let's focus back on real amps now. Another question that I probably know, but i don't know if it was actually answered. With the Rotel RCD-1072, Klipsch SF-1's and a tube amp, will the sound be much improved over my NAD T743. I remember from the one comment that the Scott 299B shakes his walls and is plenty of bass. Most new amps don't have preout for a subwoofer. Would a new sub $1000 tube amp bring enough and deep bass out of the speakers i have without the need of a sub.

Would a new sub $1000 tube amp bring enough and deep bass out of the speakers i have without the need of a sub.

Don't confuse bass quantity with quality. Can a quality tube amp deliver deliver deep bass - well yes, it can. But some of the less expensive tube models may not offer that solid state slam that you may enjoy at the moment. More likely you'll get an improvement in bass texture and refinement rather than quantity. Maybe for $1000 you should consider a classic tube amplifier - maybe one that's been refurbished. Check out NOSValves' website.