Covering windows

damonrpayne

Forgot about one small detail for my movie room. I have two egress windows there in the area that will serve as movie room. I suppose a velvet curtain or something will cover those windows up and not look cheesy in my room? I'm aslo slightly worried about khorns rattling windows so I may have to move the "front" to the other end, but the stairs are there so I'd need to either close that off or make a false corner of some kind? I'll take pics once I can get into the basement. (no stairs up yet)

Stupid windows!

post-12530-13819271995926_thumb.jpg

I guess in retrospect I'm more worried about the sound system rattling the windows than light getting in. Any advice there? I guess I could put some type of absorption material up against the windows behidn the velvet curtain.

I'm getting ahead of myself. LONG time before I even get to move in yet!

Damon

When your over next weekend you will have to take a look at my

basement. I have full size windows and patio doors in my

HT. I doubt very much you will have rattling problems.

I also use Black Velvet curtains in my HT.

It is nice to have windows to open up and get some light in the room in

the daytime. Fresh air is nice on these nice fall 70 degree days

too.

JM

Its amazing how fast its gooing up. Assume you will have a deck back there to meet up with the sliders, so interms of window treatments, your right that light should not be too much of an issue. Black out curtains/ blinds (blinds optionally can also have acoustic propertys for more $$) would be best if you want to actually open them up. Otherwise you could go crazy and just use certains/blinds, keep them shut and stuff fiberglass insulation behind them against the window. I am sure its going to be awsome. Never had the chance to build a house, congrats.

My reoccurring nightmare:

1) You show up late to an exam on a 2) topic you have not studied in a course that doesnt exist, 3) with a purple crayon, and 4) your blue book is made of pudding, and 5) your not wearing pants.

1) OK, so when people are to judge you... You feel u need time..

2) Not having a grasp of key subjects to make your job function...or idea where to go.....

3) You do not have the right tools..

4) your assignments from your boss make you feel you need food for comfort first....

5) and while being naked with Paris Hilton you forgot your VIDEO cam.... to prove it to others..

Well at least in #5 you scored success big time!! No Nightmares there!

hahahahahahaha

I guess in retrospect I'm more worried about the sound system rattling the windows than light getting in

Depends on window construction but modern widows are much better than those made decades ago. They are more infiltration / rattle proof ... so it may not actually be a problem.

Well, not all the sound right? Otherwise we'd be hearing that velvet curtains are the best sound treatments ever?

You are right about velvet curtains not being a broadband sound treatment... but they do a good job at the mid to higher frequencies. It'll help with voice clarity but a lot of rooms actually suffer from bass peaks and the curtains aren't thick enough to help with that.

OTOH, they look very theatre like...

Rob

Damon: My HT is in the basement in a room with 2 windows. I found that with the sub running at "movie" levels, the window panes were vibrating noticeably. I "glued" two pieces of 5/8 sheet rock together with sheet rock mud, cut them to fit just inside the window casings, put large hinges on them and painted them black. Instant light blockage (I have a front projection system) and quite a bit of bass SPL reduction. I hung black pleated curtains over the sheet rock.

It is a PITA when I want to open the windows, but it is very effective for the purpose.

I did have window vibration problems in my basement due to older windows, especially when the sub(s) were cranking. Best solution I found was the rigid, pink polysterene (foam) insulation that comes in sheets (Home Depot, Lowe's). I think I went with the 1 1/2 inches thick sheets. Measure your frames, cut the foam sheet to fit - and fit into place. Then, dress up with curtains on the inside. Now, no rattling and you would be hard pressed to hear my system from the outside unless you were standing on my property - right in front of the windows.

Relatively inexpensive and has mass to prevent much of the bass from getting out (to neighbors and windows). Plus, it is malleable or workable enough that you can tear it down in ten or fifteen seconds with your bare hands should you need to (i.e. emergency exit, etc.)

Carl.